shape
carat
color
clarity

Well, I’ve had the vaccine, anyone else?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was chatting with my sister this evening. She gets her 2nd shot on Friday. She has worked through the pandemic as a Community EMT. It's a special community healthcare role, but this year it has taken her through the worst of the outbreaks. She has been in and out of nursing homes and had other exposures. She said she has had multiple exposures to COVID a week. Her co-workers been sick, but to her surprise, she has not been sick yet.

She only told me now because she knows I would have been extra anxious about her, but told me this because she wonders if maybe there is an innate resistance to the bug. Things that make one go "hmmmm".

There are some theories that Asian, Indian and African countries were exposed to SARS1 and therefore have cross immunity to SARS2. They have actually tested this and found the hypothesis confirmed in the lab. There is also the idea that some people have resistance to serious symptoms (vitamin D, ACE2, glucose, melatonin levels, etc.). And, some people developed T-cell immunity to the disease and do not get it again with symptoms. It’s amazing that some people don’t exhibit symptoms but are found to have antibodies. I’m happy your sister has access to the vaccine.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are rolling out Phase 1B in my state and my parents are both in the age group 75+ and qualify for the vaccine. My dad is scheduled for his first dose this week Wednesday and my mom and her husband on Thursday. Has anyone heard anything about how the “elderly” are doing post vaccination? It’s been encouraging to read how little those that have received the vaccine here have reacted, but I’m assuming you are all younger and healthy :)). I’m a bit nervous for my parents!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
They are rolling out Phase 1B in my state and my parents are both in the age group 75+ and qualify for the vaccine. My dad is scheduled for his first dose this week Wednesday and my mom and her husband on Thursday. Has anyone heard anything about how the “elderly” are doing post vaccination? It’s been encouraging to read how little those that have received the vaccine here have reacted, but I’m assuming you are all younger and healthy :)). I’m a bit nervous for my parents!

My Mom (97) had her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this past week- just some mild arm soreness. I am more concerned about the second dose. My stepson and his wife (both in their 40s) both had little reaction to the first dose, but had strong flu like symptoms after the second. However the fever, chills, ashiness, etc only lasted a day.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My Mom (97) had her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine this past week- just some mild arm soreness. I am more concerned about the second dose. My stepson and his wife (both in their 40s) both had little reaction to the first dose, but had strong flu like symptoms after the second. However the fever, chills, ashiness, etc only lasted a day.

It’s great to hear your Mom did well overall with her first dose. I‘m glad your stepson and his wife only had flu symptoms for one day, but it sounds like they were feeling pretty bad for that day. Thank you for sharing this info. I’m hoping the second dose won’t be too hard on older people and those with underlying health issues. So many unknowns can be nerve-racking.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scheduled for the vaccine on February 1st as an educator in NY. Mixed feelings, but we need to get back into the classroom. All of us! :)
Thank you all for posting your reactions or non reactions to it!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hubby and I had first moderna vaccination yesterday. No drama. So far, the only side effect is a slightly tender injection site.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the email from my union that I've been "matched" with a provider and they'll be emailing me in 24hrs to make my appointment! I've never been so excited to get a needle in my arm! For any of our medically trained folks on here who might know, since I'm breastfeeding when would the baby get antibodies from me? I want to make sure to feed as much as possible during this window.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Well, one of our doc friends who was never sick (and did my anesthesia for 2 of my surgeries since February) is positive for antibodies. So he must have had it or carried the virus or whatever, but he never felt bad or missed a day of work.

It would be interesting to see if she has antibodies.

A woman I know had her college kids tested for antibodies because they went back to school (where one of mine goes— they stayed hybrid including in person classes) and her husband is at risk. Both boys have antibodies but she does not.

(As an aside, my friend who had a mild case of covid in July— who exposed me— still is positive for antibodies, thought they have told her to still get the vaccine since she is a hospice doctor)

whitewave, I hope you are doing well :)
I'm glad to hear your friend is okay and still has her antibodies. That was certainly a scary time for you and her both.

Also glad the other friend's college-age boys will probably not bring it home to her husband. This is such a strange disease. I can't wait until all those who will have the vaccine get it!

There are some theories that Asian, Indian and African countries were exposed to SARS1 and therefore have cross immunity to SARS2. They have actually tested this and found the hypothesis confirmed in the lab. There is also the idea that some people have resistance to serious symptoms (vitamin D, ACE2, glucose, melatonin levels, etc.). And, some people developed T-cell immunity to the disease and do not get it again with symptoms. It’s amazing that some people don’t exhibit symptoms but are found to have antibodies. I’m happy your sister has access to the vaccine.

Thank you. That would make sense in the odd infection patterns around the world. I look forward to five years in the future when we have the rest of the story teased out.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
My sister said she has heard the 2nd shot with Pfiser is the worst, but the 1st shot with Moderna hits harder. She said her second shot brought flu-ish aches and a fever for about 12 hours, and then she was fine.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the email from my union that I've been "matched" with a provider and they'll be emailing me in 24hrs to make my appointment! I've never been so excited to get a needle in my arm! For any of our medically trained folks on here who might know, since I'm breastfeeding when would the baby get antibodies from me? I want to make sure to feed as much as possible during this window.

Antibodies can definitely be passed through breastmilk, and offer some protection (not like receiving an actual vaccine, but certainly helps!) for baby. The first shot will start building protection over days to weeks, and the second shot will complete the process. So I'd say within a couple of weeks. How old is your bubba?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I read that you shouldn’t take pain relievers after the vaccine..It may interfere with the immune response. Any medical people know if this is true?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Antibodies can definitely be passed through breastmilk, and offer some protection (not like receiving an actual vaccine, but certainly helps!) for baby. The first shot will start building protection over days to weeks, and the second shot will complete the process. So I'd say within a couple of weeks. How old is your bubba?

He'll be one month the day I get the vaccine, thank you for the info!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my Bruce freinds just informed me out of a population of 13 million his state of Pennsylvania have vaccinated one million so far
It is nice having some encouraging news out of the U.S.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nurse in one of my FB doggie groups has had both shots of the Pfizer jab. The second dose caused her quite severe reaction, large hot lump at the injection site, high temperature, blinding headaches, nausea and fatigue. Her symptoms lasted 90 hours in total, then she was OK. It sounds like her reaction was unusually severe, she took Aleve, but was told she shouldn’t have, to let the symptoms run their course.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read that you shouldn’t take pain relievers after the vaccine..It may interfere with the immune response. Any medical people know if this is true?

So I am reading mixed reviews about this. Some pharmacists are recommending you can take ibuprofen or Tylenol after the vaccination but I think it's better to skip the NSAIDs at least. To allow the body to produce antibodies against the illness. You don't want to dampen your body's immune response.

Speak with your doctor though as I am reading different info depending on the source. I would err on the side of conservatism though and not take NSAIDs after the vaccine if I could avoid it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
A nurse in one of my FB doggie groups has had both shots of the Pfizer jab. The second dose caused her quite severe reaction, large hot lump at the injection site, high temperature, blinding headaches, nausea and fatigue. Her symptoms lasted 90 hours in total, then she was OK. It sounds like her reaction was unusually severe, she took Aleve, but was told she shouldn’t have, to let the symptoms run their course.

Poor thing
Fatigue is one thing but blinding headaches and nausea are a whole different kettle of fish

still preferable to a ventilator

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I am reading mixed reviews about this. Some pharmacists are recommending you can take ibuprofen or Tylenol after the vaccination but I think it's better to skip the NSAIDs at least. To allow the body to produce antibodies against the illness. You don't want to dampen your body's immune response.

Speak with your doctor though as I am reading different info depending on the source. I would err on the side of conservatism though and not take NSAIDs after the vaccine if I could avoid it.

What is NSAID please Missy
(Hopefully ill still remember by June when we finally all get done here )

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee depending on the source there is conflicting info. I would consult with your personal physician about this.

"

Should I plan to take Tylenol or Motrin before my vaccine dose?

If you regularly take aspirin, acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) and ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin, Advil) for other medical conditions, please continue to do so as directed by your physician or as needed. Otherwise, do not pre-medicate. In general, pre-medicating with over-the-counter medications that reduce fever or inflammation such as acetaminophen (e.g. Tylenol) and ibuprofen (e.g. Motrin, Advil) before receiving a vaccine may reduce its ability to work and can blunt your immune response to the vaccine. The time to take these over-the-counter medications is if you have symptoms that make you uncomfortable after vaccination. If you are uncomfortable, don’t hesitate to take an over-the-counter medication to help you feel better. If you usually take these medications for other medical reasons, continue to take them per your normal routine.

"

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is NSAID please Missy
(Hopefully ill still remember by June when we finally all get done here )

Non steroidal anti inflammatories like:

ibuprofen.
naproxen.
diclofenac.
celecoxib.
mefenamic acid.
etoricoxib.
indomethacin.
high-dose aspirin (low-dose aspirin is not normally considered to be an NSAID).

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is not an NSAID.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why do we have different names for common over the counter medicines in different parts of the world ?
Its just dumb :angryfire:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Non steroidal anti inflammatories like:

ibuprofen.
naproxen.
diclofenac.
celecoxib.
mefenamic acid.
etoricoxib.
indomethacin.
high-dose aspirin (low-dose aspirin is not normally considered to be an NSAID).

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is not an NSAID.

I know what aspirin and ibuprofen are at least !
Thank you missy

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Hubby and I had our first doses of the Moderna Vaccine yesterday. Hardly felt the needle. Six hours later had a very sore arm, terrible headache,slightly elevated temp, and slight nausea. I took a tylenol. This morning except for a sore arm and residual dull headache I feel fine.

Regarding ibuprofin- the sheet we received following the vaccine did say it was ok to take it (or tylenol) if you had symptoms.

fenestrate

Rough_Rock
Premium
This is a great thread. @m-cubed - a family member (frontline health worker with heavy comorbid Covid risk factors) has a history of two separate episodes of anaphylaxis, both more than ten years ago, to an unknown trigger - do you have any thoughts on whether the Pfizer would be alright?

I also wondered about your and others' thoughts on the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. My family member has the option of this vaccine instead. But we had some concerns about the study methodologies and vaccine efficacy, esp compared to the Pfizer and Moderna. I don't know however whether these concerns are warranted. (We are in the U.K.).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results