shape
carat
color
clarity

Weird Snacks You Like

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a weird snack that you like?

Something that's not available at every store, but when you do find it, you're excited?

Something you're pretty sure is bad for you, but you avoid reading the nutrition facts panel?

If so, post it here! :appl:

Bonus points for pictures and extra points if it's something no one else in your household will eat! :appl:

I recently found these, they are exactly what they seem; only the outside of the pretzel. Hollow as a salesman's promise. But I do like them.

DD likes this stuff, but I think it tastes like it's already been drunk (drinked?) and then barfed up. :knockout:

DH likes these, even though they taste like some kind of 1950's chemical fest.

What do you eat that makes your family cringe?

pretzelshells.jpg

cheesenips.jpg

lime-cucumber.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wash/scrub 1 whole raw sweet potato under running water.
Poke several holes with a fork.

Microwave @ full power a few minutes.
Let cool.
Wrap one end with paper towel.

Munch.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rinse one yellow, orange or red pepper.

Eat raw.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi Kenny! :wavey:

We eat a lot of sweet potatoes since DH was diagnosed with diabetes. We cook them exactly as you do, quickly in the microwave, they are delicious that way. It really seems to help with his sugar levels, the extra fiber works beautifully. We rarely eat white potatoes these days, all that starch just turns to sugar in the bloodstream and spikes his levels.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dark potato chips and burned CheezItz

dark_potato_chips.jpg

burned_cheez_it.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1433977688|3887578 said:

Eat raw.

THIS. IS. SO. GOOD. But I hope you throw out the seeds? Those things are so hard. Do people eat those?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like sour. I like sour a lot. Sour is something I crave more often than anything else.

I like pickles and will eat a whole jar of them. Then I will drink the pickle juice.
I like vinegar and will add vinegar to all my soups. I like to dip things in vinegar, and sometimes, you can find me just sucking vinegar out of my dumplings, and filling it up with vinegar again. Chinese black vinegar is my favorite.
I do the same crazy with ketchup. Some restaurants have extra tart home-made recipe ketchups. I will keep dipping a crap ton on my french fries to eat the ketchup. Mmm.

EDIT: Oh and when I get my cravings, NOTHING but something very specific will extinguish it. So if I'm craving pickle juice, vinegar won't help. If I want chocolate macadamia nuts, I can't just have a Reese's. I have no idea what kind of monster I will turn into if I'm ever pregnant.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like sour too. I like things w/a wang to them. (and not a naughty kinda wang either-JD gives me this face when I say it :naughty: )

Catalina French dressing. The who knows what kind it is dressing at the Chinese place-when I was pg w/Trapper I'd eat it w/a spoon and lick the plate when I was done and JD would freak out. I didn't care.

Sour gum. Shock tarts. My kids don't do sour but JD likes it.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Japanese potato chip chocolate (Royce brand)... It's awesome.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spoon of peanut butter. Alway Jif Creamy :lickout:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When we did extended trips away onboard my father's old boat, we would stock up on food before heading out but obviously it gets ravaged as the days go by. Although these aren't exactly what you would call store-bought snacks, this is some of the concoctions I can remember being made from those extended trips at sea once we've had enough seafood and are down to rations:

- Sandwiches with fillings of potato chips, mini meat pies or sausage rolls and then topped with ketchup or dijonnaise
- Sausages dipped in corn chip salsa
- Slices of cheese with peanut butter spread
- Beef jerky salad
- Tuna heart fresh from the fish (this one is a bit gorey hahaha)

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably not exactly weird here in Oz but possibly weird to you...?

Cruskits/Vita Weats/Sao crackers topped with butter, thick layer of Vegemite then sliced cheese (usually Colby or Tasty). :love:

Favourite snack of all time since I was a kid and have never grown out of loving this! :lol: Nom nom nom... dammit now I feel like some right now and I'm stuck at work.... :(sad

vegcrackers.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how weird this is, really, but I REALLY love canned artichokes. Like, I can eat about three cans of them in one sitting. They're actually cheaper if you buy them from the olive bar at Whole Foods, so I usually do that. I don't know if I don't have enough salt in my diet or what.

I used to be able to eat whole jars of pickles but then my husband began buying bulk-size jars from a restaurant supply store... so now it takes me a while to get through a whole jar, and I need help since I can't even lift it out of the fridge or open the lid on my own.

I love any fake cheese cracker - Cheez-Its, Cheese Nips, Ritz-Bitz with cheese, cheddar Chex Mix, anything like that. Also barbecue flavor chips. Sometimes you just need the taste of "Fake Flavoring."

kenny|1433977688|3887578 said:

Eat raw.

I do this too - I like orange the best!

Not my weird snack, but a friend of mine loves to drink the water from a can of tuna. That's the weirdest one I've ever heard, I think.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum said:
Probably not exactly weird here in Oz but possibly weird to you...?

Cruskits/Vita Weats/Sao crackers topped with butter, thick layer of Vegemite then sliced cheese (usually Colby or Tasty). :love:

Favourite snack of all time since I was a kid and have never grown out of loving this! [emoji38] Nom nom nom... dammit now I feel like some right now and I'm stuck at work.... :(sad
Oh nooooo...I can't eat Vegemite. It's Marmite all the way for me [emoji16]

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pickles.
Pickles dipped in fudge sauce.
Chocolate Ice cream with sliced pickles.
Pretzels in ranch dressing.
Velveeta. Alone, on crackers, mixed in beans.

Almost never eat this stuff. Not exactly healthy. Try to stick to just meals or a piece of fruit.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am enjoying reading about everyone's snacking habits and preferences. I don't know if this is weird but I enjoy straight unbuttered unsalted air popped popcorn. Some people would think it tastes like cardboard but to me it is delicious. Attaching a pic of the type of air popper I use.

I also like snacking on the smaller red/yellow/orange peppers you can get at Costco. It is easier to eat than the bigger peppers IMO but just as delicious to me. And baby carrots are also a good snack. MayK, try them with peanut butter I bet they would be yummy that way.

snackpeppers.jpg

myairpopper.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to eat peanuts covered in coffee flavored cracker crust. Found then in Asian market. I think they were made in either Thailand or Vietnam. Super addictive. I couldn't stop eating them until the entire can was gone. Had to stop buying them because I was getting jittery from the caffeine and gaining weight.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1434027714|3887788 said:
I used to eat peanuts covered in coffee flavored cracker crust. Found then in Asian market. I think they were made in either Thailand or Vietnam. Super addictive. I couldn't stop eating them until the entire can was gone. Had to stop buying them because I was getting jittery from the caffeine and gaining weight.

Sounds like a perfect bite when you're running late in the AM and you don't want to spill coffee on yourself while driving. Protein, caffeine and carbs, oh my!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favourite 'snacks' are:

Smoked oysters & the peppers and juice from pickled hot peppers. Sometimes I will just take a spoonful of juice and eat it!

oysters.jpg

pepper.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Nitrate free turkey bacon makes a yummy snack:)

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I like a hard boiled egg as a snack, with a little salt...it's a great grab and go snack.
Also, the Einstein elongated bagels (the size of a large candy bar) with cream cheese already inside that you can microwave in 20 seconds. But you can't eat just one 8)

"I thought Chicken of the Sea was chicken." (Jessica Simpson)

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1433987613|3887657 said:

I eat these too, but I like the ones with almond more. http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/139263636/Japanese_rice_food_original_soy_sauce_snack.jpg

We snack a lot on freshly roasted peanuts from the farmer's market, but that's not weird.

Other Asian snacks are:

spicy crispy broad beans
http://www.myasianstore.com/images/thumbs/0001160_500.jpeg

spicy shredded squid
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91X5s6X-ckL._SY606_.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love popcorn made in the micro popcorn bowl by presto, with 1 TBL Irish butter ( grass fed cows) and a little bit of blue cheese powder from Rogue Valley dairy mixed in. Yum, I want some now that I wrote that. But my weirdest new favorite is a hard boiled egg cut up and covered with green avocado salsa from El Pollo Loco. I could drink that salsa. This is a new delivery system for me for the salsa.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
To those that posted Asian snacks :wavey: :wavey:

Are you Asian?

Do other Asians find those snacks strange? Or are they as common as potato chips among your peers?

Are they just strange to me because I am a WASP (white anglo-saxon protestant)?

Or do other Asians think you are odd to eat them?

Just curious . . . :)

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I snack on leftover meat from dinner made the night before. My family has always teased me and called me a carnivore.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1433979225|3887592 said:
Dark potato chips and burned CheezItz
Did you know they make a whole box of overtoasted cheezits now

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayonnaise on toast, the toast has to be cooled so that the mayonnaise retains its form and does not soak the toast when it is spooned onto it. I normally add a bit of freshly ground black pepper and some toasted sesame seeds on top.

It is one of my favourite comfort food.

DK :))

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Regular, sliced white sandwich bread, untoasted.
Peanut butter, creamy Jif is perfect.
Nacho cheese Doritos (must be nacho cheese flavor).

So it's a peanut butter and Doritos sandwich. Yum! Ate it a lot as a skinny teenager. Now as a not skinny adult, I may indulge 1-2 times a year.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love salt flakes and lots of freshly ground black pepper with thickly spread butter on very fresh bread.

When I was young on out on school trips, I would get a pack lunch with a wedge of Dairy Lea cheese, a packet of crisps/chips and a bread roll, along with a chocolate biscuit of some sort and/or a fruit, and the other girls taught me to make a sandwich with the cheese and crisps.

I have fond memories of those cheese sandwiches with added crunch, and can be found making one with fresh sliced bread from time to time.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results