shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Menu

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
For our wedding, my Mom, Future MIL and my Aunt are doing all the catering. I'm putting together the menu now and would like some input. We're having a wedding on FI's family farm in September. I don't eat beef or pork, only chicken and turkey, but FI east everything! So far I have:

Appetizers:

fruit bar with dip (this AMAZING dip my Aunt specializes in)
veggie bar with dip (thinking about having these in little clear plastic cups with the dip in the bottom so they can be easily grabbed)
probably crab dip
turkey meatballs

Main (Here is where I need the help):

chicken in a mushroom, wine and butter sauce (Future MIL makes this and it is soooo good!)
vegetarian lasagna

Sides:

some sort of pasta salad
salad
green beans almandine
basmati rice

Any other suggestions?

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds yummy! :lickout: I would also maybe add some sort of potatoes (garlic mashed, or seasoned red?) and bread/butter to that list.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to write the rolls and butter, so thanks for that! What kind of meal would it be without a yummy roll?! lol...any other appetizer or main course you'd like to see? Thanks for the potatoes! Good idea and I wasn't even considering it! (Sounds crazy now to imagine NOT including potatoes!)

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
I think we are only having two main courses and we are also probably doing a chicken dish and a vegetarian pasta dish, so to me that would be great! Everyone likes chicken or veggie in my mind and if you want prime rib...welll you probably came to the wrong wedding! :lol: If you want top shelf liquor you definitely came to the RIGHT wedding though haha! We had to choose between prime rib and top shelf and we're choosing top shelf!

I don't know you said you only like chicken and turkey...if you already had chicken maybe you could do something with shrimp or another vegetarian entree? Or baked salmon....mmmmmm :lickout:

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
It's so funny what we're willing to compromise on! I just love that you'd rather have top shelf liquor than prime rib! lmao...that made my day! :)

We're having around 150-200, so I almost feel like we have to try a third entree. I don't eat fish, but I think baked salmon sounds delish. How would you do it (I mean, bake it of course, but is there a marinade or what? I don't think I've ever made fish, as I was a full vegetarian for 9.5 years and have been eating on chicken and turkey for the last 7-8)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
oh wow, that's amazing that your family is catering for 150-200!!!! I don't see a need to add another main course...they will have plenty of work without it!

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
omg that is a lot of guests to do the catering for yourself! It sounds like you have a lot of help though!

When I make salmon at home I just coat it in a mixture of olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and fresh or dried herbs - whatever I have on hand - basil, dill or marjoram work best IMO. Then I wrap it in foil and bake - no messy pan to clean up after! You could do something like that in bulk if you have access to big trays or got some of those foil lasagna pans. I think it would be relatively easy and the fish cooks up pretty fast if you need spare time in the ovens. If you want something more savory for your guests I would use butter instead of olive oil.

I tried the vegetarian thing for a minute (like <2 years), but I never completely stopped eating fish. It's hard for me. That's my favorite. :lol:

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, our Mom's are super women! It was important to me to cut costs WAY down (it is only ONE day afterall), plus if they're the ones making the food, I know I'll like it! :lickout: I feel like our mothers will panic if I don't come up with another dish lol...they are the type (especially my Mom) that feed you when you walk through the door, even if you've already eaten!

Gem, that sounds pretty simple! Future MIL has 3 ovens (they like to cook!), so I think that could work in big batches and turn out nicely. Hmm...this is on my list to chat with her about!

Phdecorate

Shiny_Rock
Salmon is delicious (to me) but would be pricer than chicken, so you would need to consider cost. Maybe stuffed pork chops? Or some type of roast that could be sliced? (kind of like a carving station, but as part of the main meal selection?)

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Now, we are having 30 people, not 200 and we did choose prime rib, haha! Food is what we chose to splurge on, and even that's not really fair; my caterer is a family friend and we got an amazing price per head.

But in terms of appetizers, sides, etc it sounds like you have a similar number of options and a mix that we do, as was recommended by the professionals, so I think you are on the right track. Our caterer is adding homemade strawberry jam for the bread- which I thought was a lovely , unique, homey touch. And we are having two kinds of 'fizzy' drinks- homemade limeade and a strawberry/pineapple, which I think is a nice touch to tie some non-alchoholic options into the actual menu.

I am impressed you are self-catering! I am doing almost everything DIY, but I booked the caterer two days after we chose a date- no way was I going to be able to deal with it, even for such a small group as ours. Are you renting your place settings for such a large group? Cause then you don't have to do the dishes!

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Baked salmon is AMAZING and quick and easy to do, though you do have to consider the cost. I always bake mine with lime zest and freshly grated ginger, and then make a super quick sauce with lime juice, a little wine, worcestershire sauce (sounds odd but it's awesome), and butter. It only takes a few minutes and it's my favorite meal ever. Yum. I wrap the fish in parchment paper to bake and make the sauce on the stovetop while it's in the oven. By the time the sauce is ready, so is the fish. I love it and it's easy to make. But it is true that I am only cooking for two, so I'm not especially worried about the cost. For a large crowd, it could get expensive.

Your chicken dish sounds really good!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I've come to realize that I am crazy to appoint our Mothers and my Aunt for such a large crowd and for such an event. Oppsy! I really did just want to love the food and it not cost me a ton! Future MIL is making the chicken dish (sooo good! I watched her when she made to on my b-day and have now perfected it..just ask her son :wink2: ) and I'm thinking the idea of a roast (for a craving station type thing) will be perfect! I will definitely bring up the salmon, but being on a farm, they have tons of neighbors who we can get the beef or pork from at a low cost; just like we did for the organic chickens!

I LOVE the idea of making some sort of jam myself for the wedding. And that can be made ahead of time without a ton of stress. I am going to look up some recipes on that! And I personally think that is very cool and the non-alcoholic beverages! I know we're having sweet tea and lemonade (hand squeezed and delicious via my Aunt) and I think a nice limeade would be a good idea as well. I know I also want a white sangria too.

We're checking the costs of renting plates, as they are just plain simple! I've also looked into really pretty (and sturdy) biodegradable options that I liked. They don't look cheap, which is the only reason I wouldn't go that route.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
With that many guests eating, you're going to want the ability to (1) cook a lot in advance, (2) not have the family in the kitchen the whole time, and (3) have people served quickly. For me, I think a meal that goes together thematically makes things feel a little less potluck. I'm also assuming you're not in a climate that is super hot in September. So forgive my tinkering, but for what it's worth, here are my suggestions:

Appetizer:
Antipasto plate -- salumi, cheese, olives
Crudite with dip
prosciutto and melon
Grissini breadsticks

Entree:
chicken in a mushroom, wine and butter sauce
meat lasagna
vegetarian lasagna

Sides:
caprese salad (could also do skewers with a cherry tomato, mozzarella ball, and basil leaf)
grilled zucchini, squash, peppers with a drizzle of balsamic
green beans amandine
rosemary roasted baby potatoes

Dessert:
fruit bar with dip
cake

blacksand

Brilliant_Rock
Ok sillyberry, when is the next party at your house? I will be there.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1337214052|3196935 said:
With that many guests eating, you're going to want the ability to (1) cook a lot in advance, (2) not have the family in the kitchen the whole time, and (3) have people served quickly. For me, I think a meal that goes together thematically makes things feel a little less potluck. I'm also assuming you're not in a climate that is super hot in September. So forgive my tinkering, but for what it's worth, here are my suggestions:

Appetizer:
Antipasto plate -- salumi, cheese, olives Great addition.
Crudite with dip Lots of veggies and and bread selections several dips (including one hot dip).
prosciutto and melon Perfect and a lot of people love it. Stacy, you don't have to eat it if you don't like it. A lovely shrimp cocktail could be an alternative though
Grissini breadsticks I'd do a large baked brie with a dried fruit or preserve topping

Entree:
meat lasagna
vegetarian lasagna

Sides:
caprese salad (could also do skewers with a cherry tomato, mozzarella ball, and basil leaf)
green beans amandine

Dessert:
fruit bar with dip
cake

Totally agree with this. I would add a meat lasagna. You can make it ground turkey, but I would do a meat lasagna. And I would change the veggie lasagna to a baked ziti, easy and everyone loves it plus it's a little better than having two lasagnas. I wouldn't add fish. Fish has to be prepared RIGHT THEN and it's a pain. Casseroles are the way to go.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
sillyberry|1337214052|3196935 said:

Appetizer:
Antipasto plate -- salumi, cheese, olives
Crudite with dip
prosciutto and melon
Grissini breadsticks

Entree:
meat lasagna
vegetarian lasagna

Sides:
green beans amandine

Dessert:
fruit bar with dip
cake

Sillyberry, your suggestions are perfect! My mind has been all over the place with wedding things, so I have NOT been able to think about a good menu with a clear head. This sounds so perfect! So does the idea os a shrimp cocktail and baked brie, Gypsy! :) Ladies, I am more than happy with these suggestions and will be having a sit down with my 'caterers' soon! :D

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Oy, don't get me started on plates! The only thing I am renting are chairs, cause I don't own 30 chairs. Caterer was able to provide goblets and silverware. But my mom did happen to own 20 clear glass dinner plates and I found beautiful chargers on sale at Michaels for 1.50 each. So I just need like 15 plates to match right?

Well, 24 slightly larger clear glass plates that cost $3.00 flippin' each later- moral of the story: RENT PLATES. Or get those pretty disposable bamboo ones that come in fun shapes.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm proposing an eggplant parm or eggplant rollatini in the mix!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1337524313|3199673 said:
I'm proposing an eggplant parm or eggplant rollatini in the mix!

Ooh. That's better than veggie lasagna. I agree. Rollatini are totally doable before hand. And you can even do them with zucchini too.

I vote meat lasagna and eggplant rollatini.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
That sounds delish! One of my Mom's friends from church offered to help with food as well and one of her first suggestions was a nice cold pasta salad with orzo, spinach and shrimp with a feta crumble on top. After speaking with her, my mind is a buzz with food options! I'm really excited though! We're having dinner with both sets of parents this weekend (and the Dad's after meeting for the first time!! :appl: ), so we're going to fully discuss wedding details and the menu is right at the top of my list! Progress!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That salad sounds scrumptious. I would definitely say yes to that. It will go beautifully with the chicken.

By the way if you want something yummy and quick to make: cous cous. I buy the Trader Joes boxes. And the Trader Joes chopped onions and the trader joes frozen parsley cubes AND the Trader Joes chicken stock (yes, all from Trader Joes) and I add the dried cherries (the tart ones from Trader Joes's I think it's the Montemorecy), chopped those up, and mix it all into one yummy dish like this.

Sautee onions in butter until golden, add in dried cherries and sautee until they are soft, then add in a couple of the parsley cubes. After it's all bubbling nicely I add in the broth and season with pepper (no salt needed the broth has it) and I let it simmer for 7 minutes on medium to low heat to meld the flavors a bit. Then I add it all to a serving bowl with the cous cous and mix it in and then I cover the bowl and wait for the liquid to absorb. Personally I love to do this the day before as I think it tastes best the next day. It's a great side dish. And would be great with your chicken.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1337756544|3201501 said:
That salad sounds scrumptious. I would definitely say yes to that. It will go beautifully with the chicken.

By the way if you want something yummy and quick to make: cous cous. I buy the Trader Joes boxes. And the Trader Joes chopped onions and the trader joes frozen parsley cubes AND the Trader Joes chicken stock (yes, all from Trader Joes) and I add the dried cherries (the tart ones from Trader Joes's I think it's the Montemorecy), chopped those up, and mix it all into one yummy dish like this.

Sautee onions in butter until golden, add in dried cherries and sautee until they are soft, then add in a couple of the parsley cubes. After it's all bubbling nicely I add in the broth and season with pepper (no salt needed the broth has it) and I let it simmer for 7 minutes on medium to low heat to meld the flavors a bit. Then I add it all to a serving bowl with the cous cous and mix it in and then I cover the bowl and wait for the liquid to absorb. Personally I love to do this the day before as I think it tastes best the next day. It's a great side dish. And would be great with your chicken.

That sounds great! I love cous cous, although with everything wedding, my mind is too all over the place to focus lol I'm really excited about finalizing a menu this weekend! :)

audball

Ideal_Rock
I love your ideas! Reminds me of this wedding. Someone linked to this YEARS ago on here and I've always loved it. They had some creative food/drink ideas that may help. Including a mint lemonade I think?

http://www.younghouselove.com/wedding-album/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results