shape
carat
color
clarity

wedding/engagement ring idea

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

titanman

Rough_Rock
I had this idea while my GF and I were kind of dreaming about our wedding sometime in the future. (I will be popping the question soon, still looking for the e-ring. Thinking about a marquise or trillion). Most friends and family that I mentioned it to were supportive (some thought it was horrible), but I would like to have some unbiased opinions.

I really want a titanium wedding ring with a yellow gold inlay. My idea was to essentially get two titanium rings for her wedding ring to go on either side of her engagement ring. The lineup of titanium/gold/titanium would ideally match my wedding band. I definately like the look, but I don't know if the titanium would eventually wear into the gold on the engagement ring, or if there would need to be notches on the thin titanium rings to accomodate the setting. Thanks to PS I'm leaning toward Boonerings for the wedding bands.

I pieced the engagement/wedding ring pic together, but it displays what I'm trying to do.

Advice and opinions please! Thank-you

wedding rings idea.jpg

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
As long as she will like something like that, then I think it is a great idea. But if you aren''t sure whether it is her taste, I would definitely run it by her first.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a cousin who has a trillion as a center stone in her e-ring. She loves it and it does look very modern. I think this is a great idea AS LONG AS it is her style too. If it is, then you are good to go! Keep us updated.

titanman

Rough_Rock
I have mentioned this design (two titanium rings) to her and she really seemed to like it.

I''ve already riddled her with questions concerning the shape of the diamond and mostly what she cares about is brilliance and scintillation (sp?). (Well size too, but she knows that anything over a carat is relatively impossible) She did say that she didn''t like any rectangle cuts like emerald or a long cushion.

Another thing I''m considering is that her fingers are rather on the short side. I''ve read that a marquise adds a lengthening effect to the hand. But she mentioned that she was afraid of that shape snagging on clothing, ie sweaters. Does anyone have any experience with with marquise and snags?

Also, is there any way to compare the brilliance of a trillion vs. a marquise. apparently both have their own form of a bowtie effect. Also, I''ve hear that both shapes appear bigger for the carat size. Is this true?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think both convey different looks. To me MQ are more traditional TR are more modern. I doubt people looking for one of the shapes would be interested in the other. JMHO.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2006 7:51:59 PM
Author: titanman
what she cares about is brilliance and scintillation (

THAT sounds like a round ... would still work with your plan (sounds cool to me - I like the metal combo)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: trillion - I think you wold not be disappointed by a well cut one. perhaps these are not the brightest diamonds, but the 'glitter' your girl favors is very much there - much like is the case with any other fancy shape. The trick with trillions is that many are flat - well below 50% depth and these are rather flat stones. As long as you avoid something like that, such a ring should turn out great. Also, trillions are a 'spready shape' (the diamonds look large for the weight) - so that should help.

Re: Ti
9.gif
I am glad your girl likes it, because I get to hear about another lovely, feather-light ring around here! I'm a BIG fan! (well, 'guess my random vote doesn't matter - it just feels good to share in the enthusiasm).

Btw. There was one spectacular ring with a trillion around here. The setting was platinum, and an intricate modern construction set with pad sapphire accents. Quite memorable. See It Here

Trillion solitaires may not be the most frequent choice, but it doesn't have to be to be a great one. Well, IMO.

Too bad the shape has a somewhat 'gray reputation' due to the shallow chips that make up much of the trillion population. Large stones (let lone large and well cut ones) are not common at all. It sounds like you are looking for one. Best of luck!
1.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have a .15 marquis as the center of my original wedding set, and even being that small it catches on things. For one not to catch you need more of a basket setting, which would work with the trillion, but not really for a marquis for that style ring. A trillion would be neat, but make sure she likes the shape. What about a square? She said no rectangles, but a princess might be perfect.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Isn''t it really hard to have titanium rings sized? I would be worried about that since if you are planning on having children her ring size may fluctuate.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
My husband wears titanium wedding bands and when he gained a bit of weight, he just bought another! They are gorgeous and cheap..each cost $70 for any size from the place we bought them, eweddingbands.com

I say go for it! The symbolism of matching bands is special.

titanman

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/5/2006 10:42:29 PM
Author: decodelighted

THAT sounds like a round ... would still work with your plan (sounds cool to me - I like the metal combo)

I know that rounds are proven to be the most brilliant, but I really want to get her something more unique because (get ready for the cheese
9.gif
), she really is one of a kind. Also, I''ve always been the kind of guy to play it safe, but she has been the one to knock me out of that rut and take risks. Just following the trends (round or princess) Isn''t something that I can do. Other friends around us all have those shapes and I really want her to have a stone that stands out (not to boost my ego, but so she''ll be happy).

Thank-you all for your encouragement. God Bless!

PS. Is the Trielle cut really as good as they say it is? Also, does anyone own a Flanders cut? One site said that they can be more brilliant than a round if cut right.
4.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the ring for you! But I would absolutely be sure she is okay with a trillion for an e-ring. We just had another thread on here in the last week where the guy had a very modern e-ring designed (not to mention grossly overpriced) and the girl was heartbroken because it was nothing like she had hoped for. It was definitely more of a man''s taste. You really need to think about whether she will like the stone and ring 30 years from now..or longer. If you don''t want to clue her in, ask her to paste pictures of all the stones she''d consider and the settings she likes. It is great for you to design yours, but please give her plentiful input into hers! You can still surprise her with the final selection!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Titanman,

I like your idea a lot, and if your girlfriend likes it too, I think you should go for it! Something to take into consideration, however, is her length of her fingers. You said they're short, so if you're wanting her to wear 2 wedding bands, make sure they're no bigger than 2mm each. If they're any bigger, the e-ring/wedding ring combo will swallow her finger...I should know, I was "graced" with shorter fingers too!
20.gif

2mm titanium bands at e-weddingbands.com are only $80.00 a pop! Not bad!

Comfort Fit Titanium Band

As far as wanting a one of a kind stone, have you thought about something like...a princess, angled so that it forms a diamond shape? You could still get a gorgeous, ideal cut stone and have it set a unique way!

Yannow...like this (except with one stone, not four!):

Diamond_Rings_388.jpg

titanman

Rough_Rock
OK, I just talked to my GF and nonchalantly threw out the "what would be your ideal e-ring?" These were the terms:
1)Simple gold band, solitare setting
2)Diamond must be "sparklely"
3) " " not be too small
2.gif

4)Something different

Originally she had said a round, but when I mentioned that she was too unique for such a common cut (no offense to any round lovers
12.gif
) she squealed with joy and an "I love you so much".

She obviously knows that I am looking for e-rings, but now I am confident enough in what she wants to lay low for a while so that the element of surprise will again be in my favor...mmmuuuaaahhhhaaahhhh(evil laugh)
3.gif

She also said that she liked the "triangle one" and I didn''t even mention it. I absolutely love that cut, now I just have to find the right one.

The princess cut rotated 45 degrees would also be an option as she made positive comments about one we saw at a jewelry store. That is if I can''t find the right Trillion.

Re: band width. Yes, I hope to keep the total width of the three rings around 5-6mm. like 2mm each.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should got with a Trillion. (Might as take the idea all the way instead of playing it safe) I have small hands/fingers. I can wear 10 mm of rings comfortably. My e-ring alone is 6mm so I would worry about that. Also peebles mentioned not being able to re-size which is true BUT many, many ladies here have eternity bands which you cannot resize so I really would worry about that too much (but you need to get her size before hand somehow).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2006 11:47:20 PM

OK, I just talked to my GF and nonchalantly threw out the 'what would be your ideal e-ring?' These were the terms:

1)Simple gold band, solitare setting

2)Diamond must be 'sparklely'

3) ' ' not be too small

4)Something different

She also said that she liked the 'triangle one' and I didn't even mention it. I absolutely love that cut, now I just have to find the right one.

Trillion, solitaire setting... fits with a band too. The shpw where this comes from (online at www.Jewelryexpert.com) did a whole lot of diamond and colored trillion rings. There must be lots of fans of tringular gems around those parts
2.gif

Trilliant-Diamond-Engraved-Ring-2.GIF

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
I''m sure someone more knowledgeable about jewelry than myself can answer this, but the picture you posted did bring one concern to mind;

will the titanium scratch the gold (or vice versa)- are you able to solder them together to prevent wear and rubbing. Might be something to think about since they will be rolling around some.

Also, you mentioned your GF has rather short fingers- will a design with two wedding bands make the ring too thick or uncomfortable for her to wear daily?

Perhaps you could purchase the solitaire in a gold setting, propose with that, and then decide on wedding bands afterwards (so she could have lots of input and try different things on.)

Good luck!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 7:40:29 PM
Author: sydneycasandra

Also, you mentioned your GF has rather short fingers- will a design with two wedding bands make the ring too thick or uncomfortable for her to wear daily?

Good luck!

I have small hands and can wear 10 mm of rings comfortably. My e-ring alone is 6 mm.

Agape

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/5/2006 7:51:59 PM
I have mentioned this design (two titanium rings) to her and she really seemed to like it.

I''ve already riddled her with questions concerning the shape of the diamond and mostly what she cares about is brilliance and scintillation (sp?). (Well size too, but she knows that anything over a carat is relatively impossible) She did say that she didn''t like any rectangle cuts like emerald or a long cushion.

Another thing I''m considering is that her fingers are rather on the short side. I''ve read that a marquise adds a lengthening effect to the hand. But she mentioned that she was afraid of that shape snagging on clothing, ie sweaters. Does anyone have any experience with with marquise and snags?

Also, is there any way to compare the brilliance of a trillion vs. a marquise. apparently both have their own form of a bowtie effect. Also, I''ve hear that both shapes appear bigger for the carat size. Is this true?
I have a heart that is set high and I have had it over 10 years, I remember once snagging the point on a very loose knit sweater. Did not harm the sweater though. I would not worry about this, unless of course SHE worries.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results