shape
carat
color
clarity

wedding dress with VISIBLE boning in the bodice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Girls,

I''m looking for wedding dresses with visible boning in the bodice. I think someone posted one in the past few weeks (I thought Maggie Sottero but I can''t find anything like it on their site). At least in my head this sounds like a pretty idea... now I want to actually SEE one...

Is this completely wierd to want? Is it uncommon (I can''t find an example online, but maybe I''m not looking hard enough??)

ANY examples would be superb... thanks!!!

Aussie : p

E B

Ideal_Rock
Like this?

Maggie Sottero's Madalyn

I don't think it's uncommon at all. If done right, I think it looks nice and a bit old-fashioned (in a good way!)

ETA: Here's another, though it's harder to see in the picture due to the embroidery. I bet it'd be obvious up close, though.

Maggie Sottero's Ivana

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think it''s weird at all. I think it''s very flattering actually.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
You ROCK EBree...

I could picture your doggie's tongue next to the dress... but I thought people might think me WHACKY if I said...

"What was that awesome dress... with a big pink tongue hanging out next ton it..."
41.gif

any others? That IS what I'm looking for but with a much simpler skirt (non of the "tiered?" lace)...

THANK YOU!!!

ETA: just realized "EXTERNAL" boning is the phrase to search with... not visible, not "on the outside"... silly me!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you're thinking of Jessesgrl's dress? It is very memorable ... and it's on page 7 of the "show us your wedding dress" thread that I just bumped!
2.gif

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 10:42:28 PM
Author: EBree
Like this?

Maggie Sottero's Madalyn

I don't think it's uncommon at all. If done right, I think it looks nice and a bit old-fashioned (in a good way!)

ETA: Here's another, though it's harder to see in the picture due to the embroidery. I bet it'd be obvious up close, though.

Maggie Sottero's Ivana

Wow, both of these dresses are beautiful, but WOWZER, the Madalyn is absolutely gorgeous!
30.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Give me until tomorrow afternoon and I''ll be able to post a dress just like you''re describing! (On a rather squishy person though!
2.gif
) My dress is a two piece with a corset top with curved boning and a simple skirt. I can''t wait to try it on!!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock

Thank you so much

Ebree: I LOVE the Maggie Madalyn top -- put the Madalyn top with the shape of the Maggie Ophelia dress wth less lace on the skirt... kaboom, I like it! You keep coming up with so many ideas... how DO you do it?
-The Ivana from Maggie is pretty on top... a bit too much for me wiht the "caught up" skirt... but AWESOME top half!
-I'm not loving the straps/neck line of the Private Label dress... feels a bit too modest for me
41.gif
Strapless or very thin spaghetti straps is more what I'm looking for
-Vicaya dresses... make me think of Malibu Barbie (don't shoot me for that... sorry!) maybe it's the poofy tulle skirt? So help me girly girls... is Tulle basically what ballet tutus are made of? I am THAT clueless!
9.gif

Minims... this may have been where I saw it -- thanks for the refresher! Those 'Show me the Dress' threads get long quick!

MustangGal: thanks for the link! This dress makes me think of the princesses on the Disney World commericals... and I am no princess
11.gif
Not even for my wedding day!

Indie: I can't WAIT to see what dress you've finally picked! And no worry regarding squishy... I have my squishy areas too... it's just better padding for those hockey checks
31.gif

Mercoledi: I really like that Oleg Cassini dress... I just saved it in my ever-growing file... THANK YOU! Do a lot of dresses have that super-long train that drags on the ground (YES... again CLUELESS)? I guess it just seems like a disaster waiting to happen!

Robbie: ha ha... I found you selling your 1st dress (I LOVE the 2nd one by the way!)

okay, back to searchng for a dress of all things
29.gif
I'd rather wear an old pair of levis
9.gif

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
So I just got back from my 1st dress expedition after my hockey game today... definitely not as bad as I thought it would be!

Even though I had called ahead to check if they'd allow pictures (the lady on the phone said 'of course' but once I was there it was "please don't") and asked if all prices & designers were visible on dresses (again, yes of course turned into ... NOTHING for tags!)

So I randomly picked out... Maggie Sottero's Raquel dress (diamond white with champagne accents with the optional capped sleeves/straps)... which is a discontinued dress
14.gif
But it's funny because it's the "older' version of the Madalyn (the dress EBree, the goddess, found for me when I asked for exterior boning!)
9.gif
YAY EBREE!!

The great part? I LOVE this dress... it made me feel beautiful, girly (not like a hockey player!), and all grown up! AND it's even in my size (10)... perfect fit!

The CRAPPY part? At first they wouldn't tell me the designer, style, PRICE, etc... I just about walked out of there but at one point the lady went to the bathroom... and I just HAPPENED to see the notepad she had been using. She had written down the 6 dresses I had tried on... I scrambled for a pen and madly copied the info down... and all before she was back. I feel SO guilty, but it was RIDICULOUS that they wouldn't just TELL me!!
29.gif
Finally they told me it would be $1000 which is a bit more than I was hoping for (I was really hoping to cap it at about $750), but the alterations should be minimal -- just the hem. They still NEVER told me the designer/name... I found that with Google.

Now every part of me wants to say SCREW YOU to that store because they were so obnoxious about everything. But I can't find the dress elsewhere... I have NO problem now ordering the dress online since I know my size... just can't find it! What should I do?

Go with the DEVIL store
29.gif
and hope they don't pull anything else, keep searching for it online, or just find something else? (I called about 20 stores in my area when I got home and none of them had it...)

Thanks... you guys REALLY helped me out before!

ETA: and of course they were pulling the REAL hard sell saying it DEFINITELY wouldn't be there in a week if I didn't buy it now or put a deposit down... of COURSE another girl would buy it if I didn't... and wouldn't I always regret it!??! yes... VERY PUSHY! ARGH!

Maggie Sottero Raquel Aussie.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I would try calling/emailing Pearl''s place and RK Bridal. I believe they can get Maggies and the cost should be a little bit below retail, but you''d have to have it hemmed locally. The only problem might be that it''s a discontinued dress. Was the shop going to order it for you, or sell you the sample? You should be able to bargain some for the sample. I''d keep calling around if that''s really THE dress for you. Good luck!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Mercoledi,

They would be selling me the sample - not ordering it.

I really didn''t know how to bargain when I didn''t know how much it is retail. Now that I know it''s a Maggie, and that $1000 is pretty much retail, I want to see if I can knock the price down. I''m just TERRIBLE at sweet talking sales people, or being persuasive like that. I just feel akward and silly. And I wouldn''t want to completely screw up something with them and then have them not sell me the dress at all.

How much would be a reasonable offer?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Aussie!

Yay! I'm so glad you found your dream dress. It's so, so beautiful.

I'm sorry you ran into one of the many 'problem' bridal stores.
38.gif
Gypsy was just talking about them in another thread, and I know I ran into my fair share.

Have you asked about buying the sample? You said you tried on the Raquel and it fit perfectly. How was the condition? Sometimes bridal stores will agree to sell the samples for anywhere from a 10-50% discount.

It might be worth a try!

ETA: Oops! I didn't see your last post!

I think $1000 for the sample is too high. You said you wanted to stay around $750, and I think that'd be a good offer.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Ebree... again, you ROCK
9.gif

Yes, the $1000 price they finally gave me was for the sample... which seems pretty high now that I know it is that price retail for a new gown. The condition was very good except for a few loose threads along the beaded part of the bodice.

I feel like I should try to talk them down a bit on price, but I really don''t know what is a reasonable way to go about that. Any suggestions? You said a 10-50% discount sometimes can be gotten on samples... That''s a HUGE range - what''s it based on and how much should I push?

Thanks again!

E B

Ideal_Rock
It was no problem! I'm so glad I was able to help.
1.gif

I think the sample prices depend on a lot of things. The condition of the dress has a lot to do with it, as does the year the dress came out and the popularity.

Regarding your dress: it's discontinued, so they obviously have no more use for the sample, as girls can't order it any more. You might be able to use that to your benefit. Regarding haggling, I'm no help as I'm shy when it comes to that stuff myself.

I'd likely go in and say, "This dress was going for $1000 new (provide websites or quotes for proof). My dress budget is ____, and I'll buy that sample TODAY for ____. Any more, and I just can't afford it."

Then again, I know we've got some good hagglers on this website that could give other, possibly better tips.

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Ebree...

One "problem" with ANY haggling at this point is that I really am not "supposed" to know who makes this dress... which is probably why they do it in the first place! But I could say I just "happened" to discover the dress somewhere online and recognized it! Sneaky and underhanded, but they''re not being 100% forthcoming either!

I certainly like the idea of just telling them that my budget is X (it was hopefully $750) and that X is what I''m willing to pay. Worst case scenario? I send one of my better deal-talking friends in to buy it for me
11.gif

Anybody else have haggling techniques? I''m not trying to be cheap - just get the dress for a reasonable price (which to me means less than retail as it is a sample)... THANKS!

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
HAH... another development.

I THINK I found Maggie's Raquel from the "Bridal Bargains" seller on iOffer.com. It's listed at $806 & $20 shipping/insurance. They have the capped sleeves & color combination I tried on & loved. http://www.ioffer.com/i/MAGGIE-SOTTERO-RAQUEL-New-Wedding-Gown-2-16-14402609#item_description_anchor

I also think I found it on "BuyMaggie.com" but at a higher price than at the salon - $1089. http://www.buymaggie.com/pages/raquel.htm
But
it's GREAT to know I have other options except for that "supposedly last one" from the salon.

Has anyone bought a dress from either BridalBargains.net or BuyMaggie.com??

Is there ANY reason NOT to buy a dress online if you're sure about the size? The salon I went to was not offering any alterations included in the price... so that would have been extra, regardless.

Thanks!

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
Something like this? This was from my first dress trying-on day last year --- I am not sure off the tope of my head who's design it is, but I can find out if you like...
ETA looks like you found something you like --- sorry to jump in here late -- I hope you can get it for the "right" price!

dress with boning for ps.JPG

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Jen, yes... something like this : ) THANKS for finding more pictures! If you find the designer, awesome, but really no big deal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results