shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Dress Fabric

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I''ve started looking at dresses online etc and was wondering about the fabrics. I''m presuming that they are mainly synthetic and not real silk or silk satin.

I''ve always been brought up to buy natural fibres whenever possible, but all the dresses advertised as "real" silk are mega$$$$.

If you''re only wearing a dress for x hours I can''t see it matters re wear etc, but does the fabric hang properly and does it feel nice?

Sorry but it''s really hard to tell from photos - especially the model shots. I found the real weddings on the alfred angelo site quite helpful to see how the dresses fit "normal" people.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t like the Alfred Sungs... I would look at Paloma Blanca her Paloma line is made from silks (mikeala is synthetics) and her gowns are very well constructed. Plus both RK and Pearls carry her line and you can get quite a few of them for 1000-2000. The ones of hers I liked came to about 1100 to 1300 through Pearl''s. And when I told one of the stores I liked about that...they offered to match.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
My dress was an Amsale. 8-ply silk gazar. It was a sample so I got a fantastic deal on it, but I had the same concern. Even though you are only wearing the dress for a few hours, you sweat- you get a little nervous and are dancing, eating, hugging everyone. I can''t imagine what it would be like if I had worn a synthetic dress.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the synthetics are not going to look as pretty or feel as nice on, you really cannot tell from a photo unfortunately...

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2007 10:49:43 PM
Author: diamondfan
I think the synthetics are not going to look as pretty or feel as nice on, you really cannot tell from a photo unfortunately...

DF is right- they won''t drape the same way and they will react different w/ a flash in photography. I wore polyester dresses as a BM in 2 weddings and the flash from digital cameras definitely "bounced" off the polyester dresses making them look "shiny" this was really apparent w/ a poly-organza.

SarFarSuperstar

Shiny_Rock
My wedding dress was silk chantung- raw silk- and I have to say that it was glowin in the photos. It created such a flattering effect on me. My whole wedding was pretty budget oriented, but I was determined to wear a natural, high quality fabric on my wedding day. I think my dress was about $800, so kind of pricey, but you can really see the quality and texture of the fabric in my wedding pictures.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I thought that would be the case.

So, do I just assume that the dress is synthetic unless it states otherwise? I presume that ''real silk'' is a selling point?

Sorry these seem like really dumb questions, but I''ve only had one friend get married so far as I''m one of the oldest in my circle, so don''t have anyone to ask - and wedding dress shops just terrify me! (We''re all mid-early 30''s, but I don''t ''know'' as in to talk to, anyone who get''s married in their 20''s anymore over here.)

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Legally the fabric content has to be on a tag somewhere in the dress. It''s not something that is typically advertised, but a good sales associate should be able to tell you.

Scooba

Shiny_Rock
I tried on sythetic fabrics at first because i was not wanting to spend a ton on a dress I was going to ruin, then I saw a designer dress in a mag and I was in love I went to try it on and it was awesome silk and soooooo different, my mom was like ok i don''t care if we are in the 3k-4k price range now that dress is sooooo much better you can never put on a "cheap" dress again, and I totally agreed. But if you really don''t want to spend the money, don''t try on anything out of your price range because IMO there is a big difference and it will be hard to go back to synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results