shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
Can you guys tell that I''m in wedding planning mode today? Three threads in one day! I hope you are not getting sick of me!
3.gif

We''ve decided on using peacock feathers as an accent in our wedding. We are getting married in a garden and the reception will be at a very old Mediterranean style hotel (by the pool). It will be a spring wedding. I was having the hardest time picking out the colors! Because we wanted to go with the peacock feathers as an accent, we were wanting bright jewel tone colors but it''s hard not have the colors be to fall-like instead of spring-like.

The bridesmaids will be wearing black short dresses. Each of the girls will get to pick out their own shoes all in different bright "peacock-y" colors. Then they will all have different bouquets to match the shoes that they pick out. Each bouquet although in a different color will have peacock feathers as accents. I''m hoping that it will tie them all together while not loosing the girl''s individuality. I created a mock up of the colors that I''m thinking of using. Please let me know your opinions. Do you think that it''s too much color? Also... the copper in the photo is more orangy then I would like but I just put it in to represent the color family.

Do you think the different colored bouquets will look silly? Do you think the color pallet is too dark for a Spring wedding? I''m not really into lighter colors and I keep coming back to the darker tones. I''m hoping the chartreuse and teal will help lighten things up a bit?

Thanks for all your help and opinions!
35.gif

WeddingColorsAM.JPG

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 4:11:29 PM
Author:Kayakqueen83
Also... the copper in the photo is more orangy then I would like but I just put it in to represent the color family.

Sorry, I meant Rust not Copper!
1.gif

Smurfysmiles

Ideal_Rock
i like it a lot! i really wanted to do peacock feathers too but then ended up changing our minds :)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks really cool. One of my best friends is getting married in June and she''s also using peacock feathers in a lot of her decor. Her colors are mainly bronze and teal though. I like the idea of having each girl in different shoes with a matching bouquet. What a cute idea!

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
Hey-

I''m not a BIW yet, but i found this on etsy:

here is the link:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_20&listing_id=20619101&ga_search_query=peacock+feathers&ga_search_type=category_tags_weddings

il_430xN.55869709.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
How many BMs are you having?

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
Hey Freke! I''m having four. So I figured that one of those colors would be bumped out depending on their opinions or shoe selection. :)

musincy

Brilliant_Rock
I like all the different colors... and I don''t think you need to worry about seasons. If you want colors that work with peacock feathers, I think you''ve picked great ones.

Since you have only 4 girls, make sure one of them picks chartreuse. I LOVE that with the teal and it helps bring out the lighter color in the feathers.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so if it was my wedding, I''d do everything but the rust. Something about it bothers me. I know you said it wasn''t exactly that color, but maybe a more gold/yellow orange color might be better? Then again, a rust/bronze/copper color like in the peacock feathers or the gold color in the feathers would look fantastic. So maybe the rust/gold, blue, teal, purple and chartreuse. I would really try to use colors from the feathers themselves.

If you like, I could put together a collage or two of what I''m thinking? Just general colors...

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

musincy: I love the Charteuse too! I just hope that one of the girls will be bold enough to wear it. I think it is so unique.

Freke: I totally get what you are saying about the Rust. The peacock feather has such a pretty copper color that I''d love to use but it''s so hard (if not impossible) to find flowers that could pick up that color. It just turns out to be orange. I''d love to see an example of what you are thinking, if you wouldn''t mind! This whole color thing is slowly driving me mad.
2.gif

newsboysgrl777

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea and think it's great!! I've NEVER heard/thought of using peacock feathers and think it's totally unique (though not as unique as I originally thought after reading some of the posts
2.gif
) And, I think with the teal, it's light enough that it's perfectly fine for spring...you can probably also find lighter hues of that teal, too, if you wanted to make it a little more pastel, though that might defeat the purpose of the jewel toned look of the peacock feathers.

ANYWAY, I think your venue and reception site is perfectly suited to this (especially having the reception by the pool -- AGAIN with the aqua (water in the pool)!
1.gif
) and I think you're worrying for nothing!! It'll be fabulous!!
1.gif
1.gif

Here are my 2 words of caution, however:

1) You're allowing your 'maids to pick out their shoes, thus their bouquets - what if they all pick the same color??!! Or 2 have one color (eggplant) and 2 have different colors (chartreuse & indigo (or whatever that blue was you used)? Just trying to think ahead for you...you might want to PICK for them, or have them draw out of a hat, or something?!! Not sure ...

2) I don't see where the red comes in??! Maybe I'm just dense, but I can see EVERY other color you posted in the peacock feathers, but that red just seems out of place. PLUS, red is the color most noted for love and romance and I kind of feel like that should be for the bride or for no one...but maybe that's just my opinion??

Lastly, I want to say that the copper/rust color you're talking about definitely seems fallish, but I think the bouquet picture you found looks awesome AND, truth be told, if you were REALLY going to mimic the peacock feather, you'd actually be looking for a BROWN flower, and I don't know if that's what you're interested in?!!
3.gif
I mean, brown in a dress? Yes. Brown in shoes? Yes. Brown in flowers?? Umm...??? So I'm thinking orange/rust is a great alternative!! OR, you could do gold??!! That might be snazzy?!! And would mimic the iridescence of the feather!! Just my two cents...can't wait to see what Freke comes up with!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, here is a mockup of bouquets I found on the internet, some teal velvet, a peacock feather and for fun, my buddy Mr. Peacock, who lives at our local zoo.

I believe the blue is all delphinium, I''d leave out the dark red roses on the purple (unless you want to leave them in and have it be dark red/eggplant!), I have no idea what kind of roses the goldish ones in that pic are, but maybe a flower expert could help out, and I LOVE the bright green flowers...

Anyway, this is just what I would do!

Peacock collage sized freke.jpg

cinnamongurl

Shiny_Rock
I vote for the Teal and Chartreuse! They look so pretty together, and it really makes the colors from the feather POP! I also am thinking of a teal color with a chocolate brown color as possible colors (however they may not work for a summer wedding?) Good luck with whatever you choose - it will be beautiful!!
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I love your collage and Freke''s also - I think you are totally on the right track and its going to smashing
1.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I think the different colours would look fantastic :).

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
Oh yea! I''m so excited that you all think it will be a good idea! Thank you all so much for your input.

newsboysgrl777: I see your point with the girls picking out their colors. I think I may just do a first come first serve thing? Or maybe get them all to draw a color? I definitely wouldn''t want two of them to pick the same color. I''ll have to think of a good way to do it. And you are right about the red. I just kind of threw it in because I thought it would be pretty with the jewel tones but it really has no relation to the peacock feather so I suppose it has to go! haha.

FREKE! Thanks so much for your mock up and finding those bouquets! It looks great!!!!!!! And I love your buddy, Mr. Peacock.

cinnamongurl: Thanks so much! I love the teal and chartreuse as well. Unfortunately there really isn''t any teal flowers so one of the bridesmaids wouldn''t be able to pick to wear teal shoes, but teal will still be a main color at the wedding. I think teal and brown would be a great color choice for your summer wedding!

Thanks again for all your input ladies! I appreciate it!

I''ve put together an updated mock up of the colors and new bouquets that Freke helped with along with some shoes that could possibly go with the colors. The new top row is my row... essentially the colors and shoes that I will be wearing along with the colors that we are thinking of for FI. I was planning on wearing blue shoes to the wedding as well. Now I''m concerned that my shoes may be too similar to the blue that one of the bridesmaids will pick out? Do you think I should just stick to white shoes? I''m going to most likely be wearing a three strand Tahitian pearl necklace with the dress so I thought the blue shoes would compliment it nicely, but now I''m not so sure.

Here is my new mock up... Let me know your thoughts!

colorwithshoes.jpg

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Ditto Freke, I would also drop the rust, it seems to stand out a bit. The other colours go really well together and I love the idea of so much colour - the pics are going to look amazing!!!
36.gif

NuggetBrain

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the teal and chartruse, I think those colors look fabulous together. How are you planning on using all the different colors? Are you going to to a big, bright "tada!" type thing, or have one or two base colors, and the rest as complimentary colors (like in the bouquets, napkin rings, etc)?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! I''m glad you liked them!!! And Mr. Peacock. He kept getting mad because there were ducks that kept getting too close to him, but he kept walking right up to us! So I used it as a photo opportunity!!

I think they will look lovely. And I think the blue shoes you''re planning to wear (have you bought those?) are fabulous and I don''t think it matters what shoes the BMs are wearing. I can''t wait to see pics of your wedding! It''s going to be so colorful and awesome!!!

(BTW, my MOH is wearing a little black dress. I''m having a heck of a time trying to find shoes for her. But she''s uber picky, so no big surprise there... but I''m planning on giving her a white bouquet and having it tied with bright blue ribbon.
3.gif
)

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
what about having something in their color that is the same to tie them together.

either in jewelry or hair. like some kind of clip or hair "piece" or necklace or broach that is the same but in their specific shoe/flower color? i dunno... i''m just trying to tie them together in one more way other than shoes. i feel like if people aren''t looking at their shoes (some are just not shoe people, you know?) they may not get why they are holding completely different flowers.

im thinking maybe you could find something on etsy that you can order in the specific colors for each of the girls that will pull in that color one more place and also tie them together.

also, something above the waist would translate in photos. the shoes will only be visible in full length pictures.

but really, i''m nitpicking right now. i really think it is a fun idea and i love that you are putting so much thought into your wedding! i just really like when people put their stamp all over their day!!

also, i LOVE that peacock bout that was posted from etsy. seems like a fun/easy diy project and you could do it way ahead of time.

Sha

Ideal_Rock
LOVELY!! What a cool idea!! I love peacock feathers.... so soft and vibrant and unique.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 8:48:32 PM
Author: MMM
what about having something in their color that is the same to tie them together.

either in jewelry or hair. like some kind of clip or hair ''piece'' or necklace or broach that is the same but in their specific shoe/flower color? i dunno... i''m just trying to tie them together in one more way other than shoes. i feel like if people aren''t looking at their shoes (some are just not shoe people, you know?) they may not get why they are holding completely different flowers.

im thinking maybe you could find something on etsy that you can order in the specific colors for each of the girls that will pull in that color one more place and also tie them together.

also, something above the waist would translate in photos. the shoes will only be visible in full length pictures.

I couldn''t agree more about doing something like this. You could even do something like
this with the teal feathers changing colors per their "color". You could also do something across all of them. I prefer bold, but something subtle or inbetween would work, too.

I also suggest a little more cohesion in the shoes. I think some difference could be okay, but from your board I personally wouldn''t have pumps, mules, wedges, etc. I would go all with the same style.

I love the idea, though, and it all makes me really excited to see how it comes together!
30.gif
36.gif

Kayakqueen83

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much everyone!

MMM- What a fabulous idea! I definately didn''t think that it may not tranlate in photos from the waist up. That makes complete sense. Thanks so much! BTW... I keep coming back to your wedding thread for inspiration. It was so beautiful and unique!

katamari- How great! Thanks for finding those for me! I LOVE the teal one and I love the bold one as well! (I do have a few more conservative bridesmaids though so I''d like to find somethign that wouldn''t be too much from their norm.) Thanks so much! I''ll definately look into those. I looove etsy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results