shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding ceremony in New York

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband and I are still bouncing ideas around for our renewal of vows ceremony. New York is one place we would love to visit.

Its pretty daunting trying to arrange a ceremony just for two, without a wedding planner. I don''t want to pay for their services if I can sort it out on my own.

We had wanted to look at the Empire State Building but it says on their website that they only have weddings on Valentines day - and you have to be chosen for that!

We don''t really want to have the ceremony outside, and we love historical places. Somewhere with a bit of glam would be great!

Also, where do we start looking for an affordable photographer to spend a couple of hours with us? The best ones are obviously really expensive! I know that is for a full wedding, so do you think its worth approaching them to ask how much a couple of hours would be?

Thank you!
1.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hiya Maisie,

Re the photographer, I''d bet that NYC is chock full of young broke artists of all kinds, including photographers who would love a portfolio boost. Where to find them? Well, I''d start with craigslist.org and you could also ccontact some local art schools and ask if you can e-mail them an ad to post for you.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have a look on tripadvisor there have been tons of reports relating to renewing vows and wedding ceremonies. New York would be a great place to do it!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 8:12:27 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Hiya Maisie,

Re the photographer, I''d bet that NYC is chock full of young broke artists of all kinds, including photographers who would love a portfolio boost. Where to find them? Well, I''d start with craigslist.org and you could also ccontact some local art schools and ask if you can e-mail them an ad to post for you.
Maisie-
Craigslist is a fabulous idea for a photographer. Many already post listings, otherwise you can probably post something and tell them what you are looking for. Some of the schools Indy mentioned include: New York University''s Tisch School of Arts, School of Visual Arts, The New School, Parsons.

Maybe for the ceremony, you can find a justice of the peace to do the ceremony, basically wherever you want. Try posting a question on the Knot local board. The girls on the NYC board are fantastic. They may also be able to help you a with a photographer as well.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
What about the Top of the Rock? Top of the Rock I live in downtown NYC and there''s so many beautiful spots on the promanade which runs along the Hudson. Try Robert F. Wagner Jr. Park or other spots which have amazing views of the sunset and the Statue of Liberty Battery Park. Or what about Belvedere Castle in Central Park? Belvedere Castle Or walk along the Brooklyn Bridge and do it in the middle - what an amazing view of the city skyline! Last but not least, what about South Street Seaport?

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
I was also going to suggest Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center). I know you said you didn''t want to do an outdoor ceremony, but the Conservatory Garden in Central Park is where a lot of people have their wedding ceremonies. It''s really beautiful, especially in the springtime.

There''s also the Columbia University campus. There''s a BEAUTIFUL non-denominational chapel on campus, if you want to go that route. It''s just a spectactular campus for photos...both classically designed buildings as well as more modern style architecture.

The Boathouse in Central Park is also really pretty. Although I think that''s more geared towards a large party.

As for photographers, try craigslist and the knot (which I still have yet to master. Everyone says it''s a great source of info, but for some reason I can''t navigate those boards for the life of me). Be careful on craigslist because there are some nuts on there. If all else fails, I went to school with a girl who was an freelance wedding photographer. I could ask her what prices may be like for just a few hours, if you''re interested.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
oooooooo maybe call the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Cloisters to see if they allow wedding ceremonies. Those two would be gorgeous sites too.

If you have any other questions, I''d love to help in any way I can (and I''m sure the other New Yorkers would too)!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Or maybe one of the fancy hotels (Ritz-Carlton, or the Plaza). I think the Plaza is closed for renovations until May 2008. Or Grand Central Station.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh lots of great ideas!

I love the Top of the Rock. And the idea of the museum too! The cloisters is so beautiful! We will be spending a couple of nights at the Ritz Carlton after we renew our vows but I''m not sure they would be so keen on letting us have it there..... probably not worth it to them?

I wonder if we looked at a really lovely hotel, and booked a gorgeous suite room.... could we do it there?

Its so exciting!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Ritz Carlton has said we can have our ceremony in one of their suites! Its probably cheaper than hiring a venue somewhere else and we get a posh hotel for the night!
36.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I kind of thought so...they have so many rooms for so many different purposes. I bet that you could probably have it in one of their bathrooms and it would be super posh!

Well that is sooooo exciting! Keep us updated with your plans!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 3:13:44 PM
Author: CrownJewel
Yeah I kind of thought so...they have so many rooms for so many different purposes. I bet that you could probably have it in one of their bathrooms and it would be super posh!

Well that is sooooo exciting! Keep us updated with your plans!
lol!! I shall take a photo of me in my dress in the bathroom just for you!!

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 3:15:42 PM
Author: Maisie

Ohhhhhhhh now you HAVE to! I''m going to hold you to that Maisie!! Have you found a dress already?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 3:19:59 PM
Author: CrownJewel

Date: 2/20/2008 3:15:42 PM

Ohhhhhhhh now you HAVE to! I''m going to hold you to that Maisie!! Have you found a dress already?
I definitely will! I promise!!

Not found a dress yet... not sure what to wear - I really want a proper wedding dress but maybe it would be better to go for something a bit more simple as its just us renewing our vows....

Mind you - we don''t have any decent wedding photos from our original wedding. The photographer was awful! You definitely get what you pay for! I should probably go the full whack and get a proper dress!!
9.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Oh how cool! One of my closest friends was married at the courthouse in NYC on christmas eve and stayed at the Ritz Battery Park! They really loved it and the staff was soo accomodating( we arrainged a suprise cake and flowers and got the Ritz to front some bubbly). Yay!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 3:22:27 PM
Author: mercoledi
Oh how cool! One of my closest friends was married at the courthouse in NYC on christmas eve and stayed at the Ritz Battery Park! They really loved it and the staff was soo accomodating( we arrainged a suprise cake and flowers and got the Ritz to front some bubbly). Yay!
Wow thats fab! I hope they treat us well, even though we are just common folk!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s so cool Maisie! Congrats!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Bee!

Actually, I have a question for you if thats ok. We are thinking of buying some wedding rings from Tiffanys while we are there. How do you arrange for them to have your size in store for when you go? Do you pay in advance? Also did you have to pay sales tax?

Thank you!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Maisie, for the wedding rings they actually have all the different sizes in stock. I emailed them to check just before I went to NY just to make sure though. If you go onto the Tiffany site and to the NY store page just fill in the contact us details and they''ll email you back. Unfortunately we have to pay sales tax. It''s great fun going up to the second floor-they have some amazing rings!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Maise - I would highly recommend you stay at the Ritz downtown in Battery Park - it's right on the tip of Manhattan and the views of the Statue of Liberty are to die for! Each room as it's own telescope next to the window so you can really take in the sights! There's also a bar called Rise which has a huge terrace overlooking the water too - it's a view people would pay money to see! Plus, there so many photo ops down there!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Bee! I am really looking forward to going to Tiffanys!
36.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 4:26:19 PM
Author: blushingbride
Maise - I would highly recommend you stay at the Ritz downtown in Battery Park - it''s right on the tip of Manhattan and the views of the Statue of Liberty are to die for! Each room as it''s own telescope next to the window so you can really take in the sights! There''s also a bar called Rise which has a huge terrace overlooking the water too - it''s a view people would pay money to see! Plus, there so many photo ops down there!
Thanks for the tip BB. We are only going to stay in a Ritz for the one night.... we are looking at staying at Radio City Apartments the rest of the week so we can just have a base for sight seeing
1.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 3:24:04 PM

Wow thats fab! I hope they treat us well, even though we are just common folk!

My friends are two grad students (one defends on Wed!), so I''m sure the Ritz will cater to you just as well!

As for sales tax, um yeah, in NYC it''s high, 8ish% ( someone correct me if that''s off) but you make pounds, so it''s still a half-off sale to you!

I think that sounds lovely, a trip to Tiff''s and a ceremony at the Ritz! How chic!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 5:18:16 PM
36.gif

No prob! You''ll have a ball in New York! When are you planning on going or do you know yet? If you''re looking for other hotels to stay in as part of your trip, we found the library hotel so romantic also. Plus the free champagne and cheese/crackers in the evening were great.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry Maisie, I can''t help you with your question, but I actually have a question for you. You were considering renewing your vows in London at one point, right? I thought you had chosen a venue and everything. I''m not imagining that, am I?

I think New York is such an exciting place and it sounds like a great place to renew your vows.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 5:41:37 PM
Author: ZoeBartlett
Sorry Maisie, I can''t help you with your question, but I actually have a question for you. You were considering renewing your vows in London at one point, right? I thought you had chosen a venue and everything. I''m not imagining that, am I?

I think New York is such an exciting place and it sounds like a great place to renew your vows.
You aren''t imagining it. We had made all the decisions to have it in London. My husbands family are a complete nightmare and he called the whole thing off. We decided to just go away on our own.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2008 5:39:53 PM
Author: bee*

Date: 2/20/2008 5:18:16 PM
36.gif

No prob! You''ll have a ball in New York! When are you planning on going or do you know yet? If you''re looking for other hotels to stay in as part of your trip, we found the library hotel so romantic also. Plus the free champagne and cheese/crackers in the evening were great.
We aren''t sure when exactly but it will be summer next year. Need a bit of time to save up lots of money lol!!

Free champagne is always good!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re also going to be there summer of next year (we''re spending a week there as part of our honeymoon). We''re saving for it already also! The free champagne was amazing last year and they also left a big bottle of it in our room on our anniversary with a lovely card wishing the two of us many more years together. It was really nice of them to do.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it when there are those little extra touches which make something so much nicer!

I couldn''t get to sleep last night, I am really excited about the planning process!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results