shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding band CAD help!

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Hello! I'm currently designing my wedding band with David Klass, he did a phenomenal job on my engagement ring and I'm so excited to receive the wedding band.

But I'd love some feedback on how it's currently turning out. Truth is, I've never seen a band like this before so I'm just really hoping it won't look too strange.

I'll start with the inspiration pics I've sent:
The first, a different wedding band I've purchased that I'd love to be an optional top band. (Shown with my current engagement ring)
upload_2019-6-17_15-7-45.png
upload_2019-6-17_15-9-1.png
(Another pic of my e-ring)

And then more inspiration pics:
upload_2019-6-17_15-7-59.png
upload_2019-6-17_15-8-10.png
upload_2019-6-17_15-8-18.png
upload_2019-6-17_15-8-26.png

1st CAD
upload_2019-6-17_15-9-34.png

2nd CAD

upload_2019-6-17_15-9-48.png

3rd CAD
upload_2019-6-17_15-9-57.png

I think what's bugging me about the most recent iterations is how flush to the E-ring the top band is. I really like the first iteration where it's a little more tapered of a curve, if that makes any sense. But I'm worried that the more empty space in the middle of the band and the e-ring, the more I'll be bothered if it spins.

What do you think about the most recent iteration? Does the curve of the top solid gold band look ok? Do you like the addition of the extra side stones? Does the thickness of the top solid gold band look right?

Thanks so much in advance for your time!

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking there's just a little too much space in between the top and the bottom band of the wedding ring.

Here's a photoshop of what it would look like with a touch less space (the bottom band moved slightly in toward the e-ring)
upload_2019-6-17_15-20-4.png

vs original:
upload_2019-6-17_15-21-14.png

But since I'm looking at it so zoomed in, maybe the space would look better wider when it's on my finger...

Ahh I'm very indecisive

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love your custom band design! I also have a chevron band, but mine has a much simpler design.
I personally think that the diamond row also needs to follow the curvature of the inner band, similar to inspiration pic #2. The curve of the plan band can also be slightly reduced as to not hide under your center stone. Does your e-ring also have an euro shank? If not, I would reconsider the euro shank, I find that my chevron band rarely rotates.

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
@SimoneDi Thank you! I was thinking along the same lines, making the bottom band a little more curved than a straight V.

My e-ring does currently have the euroshank and I love it! Great to hear yours doesn’t spin much though, it’s one of my biggest concerns with the curved/chevron bands. I love them though, because it allows me to get a little peak at the side stones on the ering

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi Thank you! I was thinking along the same lines, making the bottom band a little more curved than a straight V.

My e-ring does currently have the euroshank and I love it! Great to hear yours doesn’t spin much though, it’s one of my biggest concerns with the curved/chevron bands. I love them though, because it allows me to get a little peak at the side stones on the ering

Then do stick with the euro shank so that they are of similar design! I also noticed that your e-ring doesn’t have a donut and the euro shank on the W-band will be better for you.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
Too much space between the rings. Also, if within budget, I would add another band to the other side. Or maybe you can add one on later on.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I notice that your e-ring has those beautiful diamonds up the side of the profile on the shank. Any band you pair with it will a) cover those stones up and b) possibly get scratched from the diamonds.

If you worry about spinning, have DK make a “jacket” like your last example pic right above the first cad. pic. You could use any of the band designs to make the jacket. That would obviate the spinning and minimize rubbing on your profile diamonds.

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! I asked for what @SimoneDi suggested to have the curvature of the bottom band match the top band, which should bring the stone band closer and minimize the gap in between.

I’m planning on using the band in the very first photo I used to be the top band, but I’m not quite sure yet. Will definitely consider getting a jacket and having them soldered together in the future.

My ring size is 6, but I’m considering making this band a 6.25, since I’ve heard it’s sometimes more comfortable to once you start stacking bands... Did you size up your wedding ring(s)?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally much prefer a mismatched look vs a guard band when it comes to chevron bands.

@Lynniiee post the revised CAD once DK adds the changes. I went 1/4 side up for my w-band.

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
I was telling my fiance this morning that I was trying a bunch of size 6 rings in place of my wedding band to feel out the sizing, since I was considering going up 1/4 size for the w-band.

I also mentioned it'd probably spin more if it's less snug, and he asked if it was possible to put in a little lipped bar sticking out from the bottom of the wedding band for the e-ring to nest into, similar to this:

upload_2019-6-19_10-18-40.png

but just on the wedding band, with a lip on the end. I thought it was a really interesting idea, has anyone heard of anything like this? I imagine with regular rings it wouldn't really help, but it definitely could keep the euroshank together.

It's probably overkill, but I loved the idea

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Here’s the newest CAD,

He asked if there was now too little space between, I said yes and to either reduce the width of the top band or the curvature of the bottom. I’m not sure I mind the spacing though, curious to see the next iteration

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Oops it didn’t go through
E6C50B0A-2A5B-4515-98C3-67F20F2EFBC3.jpeg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer the latest version. I would remove the 2 x three extra stones on the shank, they seem to be a bit of place to me.

Tagging @rockysalamander since she is better than me with CAD reading :)

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
New CAD

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Ah shoot.. Whenever I add on mobile it fails.
upload_2019-6-20_18-34-23.png

I also got the CAD back from the other band I ordered, which I'd love to be an optional top band

icm_fullxfull.210802447_4jrda7b9s1a8okk04w0c.jpg

It's this one:
upload_2019-6-17_15-7-45-png.697342

Where instead of the two small stones they replaced it with one larger pear and removed the milgrain.

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
I added the extra side stones on the DK w-band to try and blend them into a pave so it'd match similarly to this band. But you might be right, it could look a little off... Not sure where to go from here. I think I preferred the band with the smaller gap

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Photoshop with latest edit:
upload_2019-6-20_18-53-52.png

Photoshop with the last
upload_2019-6-20_18-58-36.png

I think standalone I prefer the previous edit with less space in between, but with the top band photoshop I like the most recent edit

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Alright, I pulled the trigger on this latest CAD, I'm happy with it. I like the extra space :) It gives it a little more room for the pear stone to peek out under the top of the diamond.

I think I'll leave the extra side stones in as well, more sparkle the better ;-)

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
Alright, I could use some help.

It came!
DKPV2019-07-09---ABS---52744   --1.jpg DKPV2019-07-09---ABS---52744   --2.jpg DKPV2019-07-09---ABS---52744   --3.jpg

Here's some pictures of it alone, as well as with the other band I purchased.
IMG_5297a.jpg IMG_5298a.jpg IMG_5304a.jpg IMG_5293.jpg image2.jpeg

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
A few things:

1. Love the quality and sizing of the stones in the band, as well as how they taper. David does a phenomenal job sourcing stone and setting the proportions
2. Love the curvature of the stones
3. I like that the extra space of the solid band in between makes it so it's not hidden underneath the center stone

Which brings me to...
4. I don't know if I like the top solid gold band :(
5. The curvature of the solid gold band doesn't seem to sit flush, it's almost appears slightly too curved upwards
6. I'm not a huge fan of how these two bands work together as an enhancer, as I'd expected. I'd probably want to keep them as separate bands.

I'm not sure what to do... Or if there's anything I can do? I almost want to completely remove the top solid gold band and just go with the same curvature of the bottom band. Would it be possible to send it back to David for more changes? Has anyone done this before?

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
I've been wearing it for 2 days trying to get used to it. I think I would be fine if I kept it this way, it really is beautiful, but it's still nagging at me

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
One more photo of just the band for good measure:
IMG_5310.jpg

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
A couple of ideas:

1. Totally remove the top solid gold band
2. Change the curvature of the top gold band to be more like this CAD:

And have it sit slightly closer to the band
e6c50b0a-2a5b-4515-98c3-67f20f2efbc3-jpeg.697664

(Would require completely remaking the ring most likely)

3. Add milgrain to the top solid gold band, to give it an interesting difference between the solid gold of the e-ring. Requires sending back, but not having to remake the ring

4. Do nothing, keep as is

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that the band is lovely as is. The solid gold inner band sits quite well next to your ring and you can definitely see it when looking at your ring a bit at an angle. I wouldn’t change it, but you decide what might work best for you.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't change it either. It's really feminine, beautiful, and the gold is gorgeous, YMMV, but congratulations btw and your taste is perfection.:love::love::love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually did't read what's bothering you; but, I looked at all the pics and love it!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, now I went back and read the entire post. I love the way the band fits with your ER! It's a great look. I don't as much like the look with BOTH bands, but that's just me.

Lynniiee

Rough_Rock
83DEC018-8A68-4089-90DE-10EE275EEF43.jpeg 349320AD-62C4-430A-BC7E-8D2DECD05C06.jpeg 09E89D07-8BE3-461B-8550-BCA0FB9B76E4.jpeg 1521D0DE-E0EE-426B-9B66-031EDFCDDF23.jpeg 809D6991-70A9-4F00-B2B8-67075C637603.jpeg

D’aw thank you guys, I really appreciate it. I think I’m overthinking it, it truly is beautiful as is.

Here’s more pics from this morning

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the band with your e-ring. It's gorgeous and I wouldn't change a thing about it. The second ready made ring gives you stacking options, which is nice to have. I like the look of the DK band/e-ring combination the best, but also like the different stacks that the ready made band allows. I think you did a great job.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results