shape
carat
color
clarity

Wearing jade and gold together

quietlysw

Rough_Rock
Hello jewellery gurus!

Quick question: I was just gifted a jade bangle but already wear gold on both wrists. Is it okay to wear gold and jade next to one another or will they scratch and wear away at each other? I love the gentle chiming sound that they make when knocking together hehe!

20180819_183548.jpg

Thank you heaps :D

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be interested to hear an answer too as I am often tempted to wear both together!

Your stack looks fabulous by the way!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I’m curious too. Was considering the Cartier love bangle but I’m not sure if it means I can’t wear my jade bangles when I wear the gold bangle/s.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would chime in here, but because no one else has, I'm going to try. Jade is a 6.0 on the Mohs scale, whereas gold (even in the common alloy forms) is lower hardness. https://www.mjewelry.com/Info/Education/Precious-Metals-Guide

This should logically mean that over time the jade might wear away the gold if the two rub together. Out of all the metals used in jewelry, titanium is the same hardness as jade, so I predict that titanium is the best choice for bangles/bracelets to stack with jade.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jade is also coated with a wax layer. Because jadeite can be anywhere from 80-100% pure jadeite, those with a higher percent of other minerals may be slightly softer. And because bangles are smooth, the kind of wear which one would see would likely be more of a slow dulling of the polish of the gold as opposed to sharper scratches. This can be buffed up again, but there is always “wear and tear”. A lot of factors come into play, such as lifestyle, how one wears, etc. some people wear buffers between jade bangles and gold. If they haven’t yet, someone should develop clear silicone band bracelets for this purpose.

If keeping your gold completely clean is your goal, then maybe it’s best not to wear, as in the case of any two things that rub together, eventually one will give way. I imagine that both hardness and toughness come into play in this.

On the other hand, it’s such a lovely look, and if you love it, then it might be worth having the gold buffed at some time in the future, should it need it.this depends on what carat gold you are wearing also. The more alloy, the stronger.

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t for fear of wearing down my gold bangle which is 22K.

quietlysw

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your responses =)2bluegemz you are so knowledgeable! I think I will continue wearing it for now and monitor how/if the gold of the bracelets gets affected. I have learnt so much about jade from this forum and couldn't believe my mum got me the bangle for my birthday! It's so nice how the colors seem to swirl within the stone. Thanks again lovely people xx

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your responses =)2bluegemz you are so knowledgeable! I think I will continue wearing it for now and monitor how/if the gold of the bracelets gets affected. I have learnt so much about jade from this forum and couldn't believe my mum got me the bangle for my birthday! It's so nice how the colors seem to swirl within the stone. Thanks again lovely people xx
It’s such a lovely gift! How wonderful of your mom! Wear with love.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It's so nice how the colors seem to swirl within the stone.

Indeed! I love this type of painterly texture in jadeite & hardly see any.

(digression: a pair of large, light purple bangles with such texture are one of very few jewels I cannot forget; they were more opaque than this & not extraordinarily priced & I let them go away...)

Shijitake

Shiny_Rock
Both bracelets are very pretty! Maybe you can try putting something soft between them like a black hair tie? Or a soft small width wooden bracelet with designs? If it doesn't look ugly with them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results