shape
carat
color
clarity

Wearing flashy/expensive/extravagant jewellery in public

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
The backstory is that I've fallen in love with an Art Deco ring that is much more extravagant than the usual jewellery you would find in my city (tcw would be around 2 so nothing huge). I'm tossing up whether to buy it or not as I'm afraid that I'll chicken out and not wear it in public due to security (theft), it being flashier than the norm etc. I know, first world problem. I'm rolling my eyes at myself. I don't like drawing attention to myself either so that might be part of the hesitation.

For those of you who have noticeably larger/ flashier rings/jewellery are you comfortable wearing the pieces out in public? Do you find people comment on your pieces more often? Or is it something you've gotten used to over time?

I think most people would assume it is a fake due to my age anyway.

I think this may have been raised before but I can't seem to find the topic. Please post the link if you find it!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If you love it, buy it & wear it. Yeah, this has been discussed before but I'm too lazy to look for it. What other people think is BS -- it's how YOU feel looking at it on your hand.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear my larger pieces on certain occasions and/or to certain places only.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I wear £60k in jewellery every day. No one cares and no one has ever commented.

Then again, I have an almost uncanny ability to disappear if I want to. I can walk in and out of rooms without people noticing me, I make my poor husband jump a lot! I missed my life calling as a cat burglar or master spy! :lol:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear lots of jewelry every day, but I try to play it safe. I turn my hands so that people can't see the rings and I don't wear necklaces or bracelets in the summer unless I can hide them under something.

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
rosetta|1366806402|3433559 said:

I guess being a lover of jewellery I'm aware of what people are wearing rather than the other way around!

Living in a place where 1ct is considered quite large and in an area where there are some lower income families you can't help but be a little self-conscious of what you're wearing.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Magpie09|1366808328|3433578 said:

I guess being a lover of jewellery I'm aware of what people are wearing rather than the other way around!

Living in a place where 1ct is considered quite large and in an area where there are some lower income families you can't help but be a little self-conscious of what you're wearing.

That's true. Only YOU can decide what you're comfortable with!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Then again, I have an almost uncanny ability to disappear if I want to. I can walk in and out of rooms without people noticing me, I make my poor husband jump a lot! I missed my life calling as a cat burglar or master spy! :lol:
:lol: My husband, despite his size, seriously missed that same calling. He scares the shit out of me ALL THE TIME. He has told me why he's so "light on his feet" despite being a giant human....Apparently as a child, he would sneak Magic Mint Cookies. And his parents would hear them being snuck, so he got stealthy. He was able to deftly sneak in and out without a peep, whereas his sister, who like me is clompy and loud despite OUR sizes, would make noise and get caught. So I will be sitting at my desk and he'll walk up beside me and Ill actually scream bec I don't realize he's there and he says something to me. He think it's hysterical.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Rosetta: The English are more reticent to make comments on jewelry and other things than Americans.

I would be like Chrono and wear them on occasions where you feel safe. If someone you are unsure of makes a comment, I wouldn't be above saying, "Oh, its fake". and smile. No flaunting.

Annette

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are concerned about theft get it insured, use your judgement about where you wear it, and realize that your car is more likely to be vandalized so you needn't feel like a nice ring makes you a target.

If you are concerned about what others will say, I find the people most likely to comment are art/jewelry lovers themselves or people who worry about keeping up with the jones' and are overextended on their credit cards and cars, and are house poor. I used to work with a woman who frequently asked if it was real. I don't think she realized she spent way more on clothes, theater tickets and vacations than I did. To each their own. You can decide whether or not you want to share if it is real or fake.

If you love it I hope you get it. It sounds like a unique piece you may regret passing on.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Magpie09|1366808328|3433578 said:

First of all, get your piece insured. Second, regardless of what is "normal" and the level of income in your area, how is the crime, in general?

If you love the piece and are willing to accept that you might not be able to wear it every day due to your activities, then purchase the ring and wear it when it's appropriate. I'm also very self conscious and wear "small" diamonds for PS standards. All the neighborhoods around here have nicer homes and people have generous incomes, but driving 10 minutes in any direction, I go outside our little bubble and people are holding signs asking for $. I prefer to stay on the smaller size. That is me. I'd not buy a large stone b/c I worry about being robbed. I saw someone case my car out one time and then come up to me and start hounding me for money. It creeped me out. I feel SAFER being modest. If you worry about saftey, get insurance and turn the diamond inside when walking around so people just see the band of your ring rather than the diamonds.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I don't have what would be considered "huge" jewelry, but what I do have, looks fairly sunstantial on me (for example, my 1.5 carat E-ring looks larger on my 3.25 size finger). I also wear other classic pieces on a daily basis (Cartier watch, diamond necklace, diamond solitaire earrings, etc.). I never really worry about my personal safety (I live in a relatively safe area, although I realize that crime occurs everywhere). If it's something that concerns you, then yes, you should factor it into your decision (if in fact, it's a valid concern).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Life is short, if you love it and it will make you happy go for it. You don't have to wear it in every situation, or every place you go. I enjoy wearing my ring when I go out to dinner, run errands, or even when I'm just hanging around the house watching tv or something. Makes me happy to look at it and has given me a lot of joy. If I'm going someplace where I feel it might not be appropriate, I just don't wear it.

eta: If you end up getting it, come back with pics! :D

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1366824307|3433781 said:
Life is short, if you love it and it will make you happy go for it. You don't have to wear it in every situation, or every place you go. I enjoy wearing my ring when I go out to dinner, run errands, or even when I'm just hanging around the house watching tv or something. Makes me happy to look at it and has given me a lot of joy. If I'm going someplace where I feel it might not be appropriate, I just don't wear it.

eta: If you end up getting it, come back with pics! :D

Ditto!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1366813002|3433640 said:
Hi,

Rosetta: The English are more reticent to make comments on jewelry and other things than Americans.

I would be like Chrono and wear them on occasions where you feel safe. If someone you are unsure of makes a comment, I wouldn't be above saying, "Oh, its fake". and smile. No flaunting.

Annette

This is so true! It's not unknown for me to be walking down the street in America and someone will yell out, "Nice scarf!" or "I like your hat!" It happens quite lot - so hilarious! That would never happen in England.

I think the only time I become self-conscious about my jewellery is on the T (Boston's tube). That's probably because I'm captive. When I'm mobile - like walking at a clip down a city street - I don't worry about it. And again, I don't have a 3-carat honker or anything but my diamonds show up due to most being super-ideal cut and a high, bright icy colour. I do get comments on my jewellery but mostly from people I'm actually with.

If you like this piece then I would get it and hang what people think. And you might move away from that area, you never know. If you like it, you should grab it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm a fairly over the top person generally, but, yes, I'm perfectly comfortable wearing even my most extravagant jewels on a regular basis.

Part of this, I think, is due to the fact that I loved costume jewelry when I was younger, and make my own pieces using huge semi-precious stones, so by comparison, my "real" pieces feel downright low-key: part of it is that I live in a big city where "real" extravagant pieces are the norm; and part of it is due to the fact that I still exercise common sense (so, like several people have said, rings in on public transportation, no dangling earrings when I'm out at night in a bad neighborhood, etc.

The bottom line is, life is too short to fade into the background - if you love it, get it and enjoy it. Just, you know ... not necessarily under each and every set of circumstances.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do what makes you feel good.

By now I have a fair amount of diamond jewelry and if I want to wear it all at once, great! It makes ME feel good, and I don't mind if anyone finds it excessive (I have no idea if anyone does).

My e-ring (in avatar) is considered large by some but I wear it every day, everywhere... because guess why? I love it! lol

Anne

PS - Agree with what a previous poster said about maybe regretting later if you let this ring get away. Great point.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I had places to wear my jewelry - like formal occasions and balls/fundraising events. But alas, my life seems void of evenings of fancy attire so I don't feel comfortable wearing much jewelry, let alone flashy, ornate jewelry. But I would if I could... :cheeky:

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your posts- sometimes I get a bit too cautious. I really should stop watching the news. I usually wear more modest pieces so this would be going way out of my usual comfort zone. I would love to own such a beautiful piece even if it is only at home or when I don't have to walk through questionable neighbourhoods. I'll probably be moving soon so it would only be in the short term! Haha now to convince DF :Up_to_something:

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
minousbijoux|1367038349|3435474 said:
I wish I had places to wear my jewelry - like formal occasions and balls/fundraising events. But alas, my life seems void of evenings of fancy attire so I don't feel comfortable wearing much jewelry, let alone flashy, ornate jewelry. But I would if I could... :cheeky:

MB I hope you don't feel the same way about your Birkins!

Out of curiosity do you hold the same opinion about your handbags as above? Wearing a handbag worth a few thousand (or more than a few) dollars over jewellery worth the same amount?

Magpie09

Shiny_Rock
Ok I took the plunge so here's a teaser pic! It is currently being re-sized so I could only take a quick photo with my phone but it's a lot more sparkly in person. I will more photos in show me the bling when I get to take it home :love:

Eeek so excited!! :appl:

ring_2.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Egads! That is gorgeous!! I'm so glad you got it. If you passed you could search years and years before finding something as lovely.

The size is nice. It has presence but doesn't look overwhelming so I hope you feel comfortable wearing it out a lot.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
yay that is gorgeous! I love the art deco rings that have been popping up on PS!

FWIW I have a a more flashy ring and there was a slight ajustment period getting used to wearing it in public. After a month I don't even notice it anymore and it is very comfortable for me and my lifestyle.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Magpie, that is GORGEOUS. I've never seen another one like it.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is just gorgeous, I'm so glad you got it!! :appl: I know you will enjoy wearing this beauty so much! (I know I would!) Thanks so much for the update, and we'd love more pics!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results