shape
carat
color
clarity

We are going to Turkey!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had posted on a different thread asking for ideas of things to do in Chicago. But I won't be needing those any more because we're going to Turkey!

We are so excited - and I'm hoping for some tips, ideas, etc., since I know some of you have been there.

So far, these are our plans (this is all in June):

Friday early pm: arrive Istanbul
Stay in the Sultanahmet area through Monday am
Monday early am: arrive Cappadocia - stay through Wed am
Wednesday early am: leave Turkey, go to Dusseldorf and spend our day/night there (so we can be in place for our flight early the next morning)

I know it's not a lot of time, but I am hoping this is a good itinerary for the time we have.

What do you think?

Any tips, advice, ideas, welcomed! 8)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
My goodness, so little time!

Good news is that there's lots to see in the Sultanahmet area.

My top picks:

Topkapi Palace
Basilica Cisterns
Hagia Sophia
Blue Mosque

And a quick run through the Grand Bazaar!

My husband proposed the morning of our flight to Istanbul, so I have great memories of the place :))

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Have fun!
I was just there in Nov.
The Grand Bazaar obviously has some wonderful jewelry to ogle! And the Hippodrome just gave me such a great sense of history! Try to get to the Asia side if you can squeeze it in....what a cultural crossroads!
enjoy all the tea, coffee & Turkish delight/locum offered and to get in the mood you may want to read a fun novel 'Isanbul Passage'. I read it after my return and loved the sense of place.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1366727375|3432885 said:
My goodness, so little time!

Good news is that there's lots to see in the Sultanahmet area.

My top picks:

Topkapi Palace
Basilica Cisterns
Hagia Sophia
Blue Mosque

And a quick run through the Grand Bazaar!

My husband proposed the morning of our flight to Istanbul, so I have great memories of the place :))

I know, don't remind me! I am sure we're going to be longing for more time there.

Thanks so much for your suggestions - will take note!

Ahhh love the reason behind your fond memories of Istanbul! :))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harpertoo|1366728246|3432898 said:
Have fun!
I was just there in Nov.
The Grand Bazaar obviously has some wonderful jewelry to ogle! And the Hippodrome just gave me such a great sense of history! Try to get to the Asia side if you can squeeze it in....what a cultural crossroads!
enjoy all the tea, coffee & Turkish delight/locum offered and to get in the mood you may want to read a fun novel 'Isanbul Passage'. I read it after my return and loved the sense of place.

Thanks, Harper!

I have a feeling we're going to be so pressed for time that I'm trying to NOT squeeze in too much and try to be satisfied with doing less but experiencing more, if you know what I mean. But...who knows - we'll see how we feel when we're there - so I'll keep your suggestion to the Asia side in mind!

And yes, I am soooo looking forward to all the food and drink delights!

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Of course the big sites like the Blue Mosque are a must, but in the evening maybe after a long dinner-take a cab to Cagaloglu Hamam.
http://www.cagalogluhamami.com.tr/ It was such a neat place and unusual experience. For what it's worth, it also felt very clean and safe.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayachel|1366733563|3432960 said:
Of course the big sites like the Blue Mosque are a must, but in the evening maybe after a long dinner-take a cab to Cagaloglu Hamam.
http://www.cagalogluhamami.com.tr/ It was such a neat place and unusual experience. For what it's worth, it also felt very clean and safe.

OK - silly question - what do you DO at a Turkish bath? Is it like a sauna type place?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anybody have tips on hotels for me?

I'm looking into staying at Goreme when we're in Cappadocia (it seems like even though it's touristy, it's the best choice)...anybody have hotel recommendations there?

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I was there about 3 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy. You go into a giant, gorgeous steam room that is like nothing you've ever seen because it is hundreds of years old, stone work and amazing architecture. There is a giant heated stone slab and sections around. This one was co-ed, and we were given skimpy, but covered clothing to change into. (I think I had a bathing suit top underneath? (I don't remember, but was def. covered.) We relaxed for awhile and then were called to a more private section of the room and behind a wall we were soaped and loofahed like never before. It is sort of massagy, but there is all this dumping of hot and cold water, so it sort of feels like active participation. Then we were bundled up in giant turkish cotton robes and given a hot room to sit in for as long as we liked, and then moved to a cooler room where we changed into dry clothing and then another room where we were served tea. I'm certain my description doesn't do it justice, but if you are at all intrigued, just go try it. We picked this place specifically so my husband and I could go through it together. Many places are single-sex and potentially greater levels of undress throughout. All in all, it was a very relaxing, rejuvinating experience as well from all the walking. I really felt like the city was uphill in all directions.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so jealous.
I've traveled more than most but never to Turkey or anywhere near that fascinating and appealing part of the world.
Enjoy and make the most of it.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Well, I guess if you can't come to Chicago, Turkey's an OK alternative.

:)

So jealous!! Have a wonderful trip and post pictures when you're back!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
mayachel|1366755250|3433187 said:
I was there about 3 years ago, so my memory is a little fuzzy. You go into a giant, gorgeous steam room that is like nothing you've ever seen because it is hundreds of years old, stone work and amazing architecture. There is a giant heated stone slab and sections around. This one was co-ed, and we were given skimpy, but covered clothing to change into. (I think I had a bathing suit top underneath? (I don't remember, but was def. covered.) We relaxed for awhile and then were called to a more private section of the room and behind a wall we were soaped and loofahed like never before. It is sort of massagy, but there is all this dumping of hot and cold water, so it sort of feels like active participation. Then we were bundled up in giant turkish cotton robes and given a hot room to sit in for as long as we liked, and then moved to a cooler room where we changed into dry clothing and then another room where we were served tea. I'm certain my description doesn't do it justice, but if you are at all intrigued, just go try it. We picked this place specifically so my husband and I could go through it together. Many places are single-sex and potentially greater levels of undress throughout. All in all, it was a very relaxing, rejuvinating experience as well from all the walking. I really felt like the city was uphill in all directions.

Mayachel gave a good description here, and it's true that if you go to a single-sex hamam you will see people in anything from bathing suits to fully nude. I went once to one of the historic old ones with separate women's and men's sides, and was only given a robe and towel -- if I'd wanted to stay partly clothed, I'd have needed to bring my own swimsuit. Afterward, in addition to tea, you might be able to get freshly-squeezed pomegranite juice (nar suyu) and if it's available, I highly recommend it.

As far as going to the Asian side, I probably wouldn't take time from doing other things to do that. Particularly, DON'T go by auto over the Bosphorus Bridge -- more than once, it has taken me upwards of 2 hours to get across. Traffic is horrendous. If you really want to go, definitely take a ferry or seabus. IMO, there's just not a lot to do there that should draw you away from the historic area. Much of the Asian side is urban sprawl, to be honest. There is a famous boulevard with lots of fancy and not-so-fancy stores, but few are unique (think everything from Gap to Versace to Marks & Spencer). If you want to shop in regular (i.e. non-bazaar) stores, you're better off going to Taksim Square and walking down the main street from there, İstiklal Caddesi. There's an awesome profiteroles shop partway down, as well as a great independent bookstore with a sizable English-language section.

If you want to take a little excursion, I recommend either a cruise up the Bosphorus toward the Black Sea. I think some operators offer dinner cruises, others stop for awhile at the northernmost town to let you walk around and get something to eat. Or, you could take a ferry to one of the Prince's Islands (either Buyukada or Burgaz ada). The islands are very quaint and you can hire a horse-drawn carriage to get around, as most motorized vehicles are prohibited. Not all the drivers speak much English, though, so it can be hard to communicate. Also, the ferries tend to run for the benefit of commuters and island residents, so they'd probably be less frequent on the weekend.

Timing-wise, you can do most of the major sites in a day if you don't mind being really active -- Aya Sofia, Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, and the Basilica Cisterns are all within a three-minute walk from each other. I'd budget an hour for the mosque, a little more than that for Aya Sofia, 45 minutes or so for the cisterns, and a good 3-4 hours for the palace. There's a restaurant on the palace grounds that is quite good and overlooks the Bosphorus, if you don't want to wander around trying to find lunch. Some museums do have days they are closed, I think mostly on Mondays so it shouldn't affect you too much, but make sure to check on that.

The Grand Bazaar is neat to visit but can be overwhelming. Another bazaar to try is the Spice Market (sometimes called the Egyptian market), which is a little smaller and more manageable. The archaeology museum, which is right near Sultanahmet Square, is amazing. A chain of restaurants called Moda has yummy sweet treats (baklava, ice cream, etc).

I haven't been to Cappodocia yet, so no tips there. I hope you have a great time!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Cappadocia is amazing!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I didn't adore Istanbul - just another big metropolis to me, though the Grand Bazaar was like nothing I had ever seen.

Cappadocia though? THAT'S the good stuff, lol. :bigsmile: We spent 5 days there and could have easily, easily stayed longer.

Number one recommendation is doing a balloon tour with Butterfly Balloons. Definitely do the longer one, ask for Mike as your pilot. Our time with him above Cappadocia was the highlight of our entire holiday, and perhaps one of my husband and I's favorite memories together. Worth every penny, times ten.

We also did a horseback riding tour, bonded with some of the local animals, spent an afternoon with a random shop owner who sang for us and practically forcefed us gallons of sweet tea, went on a lot of hikes, did the spa thing (best massage I've ever gotten, at the Kelebek Hotel -- gonna sound like a shill, since that's owned by the same people as Butterfly Balloons!). In fact, if you can get a room, I'd recommend the Kelebek. It was full when we went, but it was by far the best accommodation I saw (value for money) in all of Cappadocia.

And we ate...a lot. Pottery chicken, yum.

Oh goodness, just talking about it is making me desperate to return. We really loved Turkey and her people. :love:

April20

Ideal_Rock
Turkey is my favorite, favorite place. I'm so excited for you!

I agree with what's been highlighted for Istanbul. And I definitely wouldn't take the time to head over to the Asian side. It will take forever and there just aren't "big" things to see/do over there, especially with your limited time.

I would do a Bosporus cruise if you have time. If you had more days I would tell you to take the ferry that the state runs- it's inexpensive, but it takes practically all day. I believe it leaves from Kabatas. It takes you up to the last little village before the Black Sea. It gives you several hours there - there are a few things to see/do and then it takes you back. With your time frame, I would do an evening cruise. Do a little googling- I think the government one might have a shorter night version, but I am not sure. Otherwise, there are plenty of companies that offer them, but it can get quite costly as often it includes dinner, which you may or may not want to do.

The street food in Istanbul is great. I would definitely get the stuffed muscles by the water where all the boats come in and sell fish sandwiches off the back. I'll warn you now- they're not held hot or cold. It's a sort of "eat at your own risk" thing, but they are SO good. They're stuffed with saffron rice and they squeeze a lemon over them. I could have eaten a dozen easily!!

We spent several days in Goreme as well. SPEND THE MONEY ON THE BALLOON TOUR!!!! It's expensive, but totally worth it. As for hotels, we stayed at the Spelunca Cave Hotels. It's just up the hill in the village and was really nice. http://www.booking.com/hotel/tr/spelunca.en.html There are so many hotels there to choose from that it would be hard to go wrong. Most have breakfast included, which is nice. Just be sure to stay in a cave hotel! And to second Ginger, I have heard from several people how good the Kelebec is. If you can get in, stay there!

I'm assuming you're flying into Nevsehir from Istanbul. I don't know if you've thought thru how you're getting to Goreme, but when we went, we fly Turkish Air and they had a partnership with a shuttle service that took us directly to our hotel and picked us up when it was time to go back to the airport. It was 17TL, which is less than $10USD, give or take. They still offer it. It's here:

http://www.cappadociaexclusive.com/shuttle.html

You really don't need a car in Goreme. We walked or took the bus or dolmus everywhere. We even took the bus to Kaymakli, one of the underground cities. Tour one if you have time- they are amazing!! The organized tours were about 40 euro. I'm CHEAP when it comes to some stuff. We did the bus for about $4 USD round trip for us both plus entry fee (15 TL each). Way, way less than 40 Euro each. We were basically on the bus with tons of Turkish people going to and from work! The driver let us off where we needed to go and made sure we saw where the entry was. At the time, I googled "how to I get to Kaymakli from Goreme by public transportation travel blog" and found good directions. I just googled it again and found it- here's the link if it interests you. http://www.ianandwendy.com/travel/turkey/cappadocia-and-goreme/underground-cities-of-derinkuyu-and-kaymakli.htm

There are lots of good little restaurants in Goreme. We found food to be quite inexpensive all across Turkey- especially compared to other countries we've traveled to.

I have about 1000 photos from our Turkey trip. I can post some highlights of sights if you want. :) I just have to remember which computer they are on!

Did I mention how much I love Turkey and how excited I am for you?

k_darling

Shiny_Rock
Trade
We went in September and stayed across the river in Cihangir. We loved the neighborhood we stayed in and it was great to be away from the main tourist drag. If you do some jewelry shopping in the Grand Bazaar, go to Mavi Köşe (No. 11, Bedesten section; 90-212/519-0686). His stuff is INCREDIBLE. It's where Grace Kelly used to shop in Istanbul.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire said:
Cappadocia is amazing!!

That's what we hear, Logan! We're excited.

Octavia said:
Mayachel gave a good description here, and it's true that if you go to a single-sex hamam you will see people in anything from bathing suits to fully nude. I went once to one of the historic old ones with separate women's and men's sides, and was only given a robe and towel -- if I'd wanted to stay partly clothed, I'd have needed to bring my own swimsuit. Afterward, in addition to tea, you might be able to get freshly-squeezed pomegranite juice (nar suyu) and if it's available, I highly recommend it.

As far as going to the Asian side, I probably wouldn't take time from doing other things to do that. Particularly, DON'T go by auto over the Bosphorus Bridge -- more than once, it has taken me upwards of 2 hours to get across. Traffic is horrendous. If you really want to go, definitely take a ferry or seabus. IMO, there's just not a lot to do there that should draw you away from the historic area. Much of the Asian side is urban sprawl, to be honest. There is a famous boulevard with lots of fancy and not-so-fancy stores, but few are unique (think everything from Gap to Versace to Marks & Spencer). If you want to shop in regular (i.e. non-bazaar) stores, you're better off going to Taksim Square and walking down the main street from there, İstiklal Caddesi. There's an awesome profiteroles shop partway down, as well as a great independent bookstore with a sizable English-language section.

If you want to take a little excursion, I recommend either a cruise up the Bosphorus toward the Black Sea. I think some operators offer dinner cruises, others stop for awhile at the northernmost town to let you walk around and get something to eat. Or, you could take a ferry to one of the Prince's Islands (either Buyukada or Burgaz ada). The islands are very quaint and you can hire a horse-drawn carriage to get around, as most motorized vehicles are prohibited. Not all the drivers speak much English, though, so it can be hard to communicate. Also, the ferries tend to run for the benefit of commuters and island residents, so they'd probably be less frequent on the weekend.

Timing-wise, you can do most of the major sites in a day if you don't mind being really active -- Aya Sofia, Topkapi Palace, the Blue Mosque, and the Basilica Cisterns are all within a three-minute walk from each other. I'd budget an hour for the mosque, a little more than that for Aya Sofia, 45 minutes or so for the cisterns, and a good 3-4 hours for the palace. There's a restaurant on the palace grounds that is quite good and overlooks the Bosphorus, if you don't want to wander around trying to find lunch. Some museums do have days they are closed, I think mostly on Mondays so it shouldn't affect you too much, but make sure to check on that.

The Grand Bazaar is neat to visit but can be overwhelming. Another bazaar to try is the Spice Market (sometimes called the Egyptian market), which is a little smaller and more manageable. The archaeology museum, which is right near Sultanahmet Square, is amazing. A chain of restaurants called Moda has yummy sweet treats (baklava, ice cream, etc).

I haven't been to Cappodocia yet, so no tips there. I hope you have a great time!

Thanks for all these wonderful tips! Another question - when you're being bathed and massaged is it in front of everyone else who's there? Or just with you or you and your spouse? (I'm intrigued but I don't want any surprises!) 8) I'm also going to look into the cruise up the Bosphorous and see what I find. What do you think would be best to leave to do on Friday (we'll be arriving early afternoon, probably a little tired, and by the time we check in, etc...just want to be smart about what we pick to do that day).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mayachel said:

Thanks for the description Mayachel - it definitely sounds intriguing. And sounds like something really cool to share with DH.

kenny said:
I'm so jealous.
I've traveled more than most but never to Turkey or anywhere near that fascinating and appealing part of the world.
Enjoy and make the most of it.

Thanks, Kenny!

Rosebloom said:
Well, I guess if you can't come to Chicago, Turkey's an OK alternative.

:)

So jealous!! Have a wonderful trip and post pictures when you're back!

:lol: We'll do Chicago next time! And thanks, Rosebloom!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger said:
I didn't adore Istanbul - just another big metropolis to me, though the Grand Bazaar was like nothing I had ever seen.

Cappadocia though? THAT'S the good stuff, lol. :bigsmile: We spent 5 days there and could have easily, easily stayed longer.

Number one recommendation is doing a balloon tour with Butterfly Balloons. Definitely do the longer one, ask for Mike as your pilot. Our time with him above Cappadocia was the highlight of our entire holiday, and perhaps one of my husband and I's favorite memories together. Worth every penny, times ten.

We also did a horseback riding tour, bonded with some of the local animals, spent an afternoon with a random shop owner who sang for us and practically forcefed us gallons of sweet tea, went on a lot of hikes, did the spa thing (best massage I've ever gotten, at the Kelebek Hotel -- gonna sound like a shill, since that's owned by the same people as Butterfly Balloons!). In fact, if you can get a room, I'd recommend the Kelebek. It was full when we went, but it was by far the best accommodation I saw (value for money) in all of Cappadocia.

Oh goodness, just talking about it is making me desperate to return. We really loved Turkey and her people. :love:

We're spending Friday PM through Monday AM in Istanbul...do you think we should aim to leave for Cappadocia Sunday instead of Monday?

I've already written an email to Butterfly Balloons, so thank you for that. (but yeah, it is EXPENSIVE! But both you and April20 are saying it's totally worth it, and you guys never steered me wrong! :bigsmile:)

Ooooh horseback riding! If you liked the company you used, let me know who they were (if you remember)

And for some reason I wasn't even thinking MASSAGE, but that sounds AWESOME.

I've written the Kelebek to see if they have availability.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotta run but will finish replying later!

Thanks everyone for all your tips so far! :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1366821005|3433741 said:
justginger said:

We're spending Friday PM through Monday AM in Istanbul...do you think we should aim to leave for Cappadocia Sunday instead of Monday?

I've already written an email to Butterfly Balloons, so thank you for that. (but yeah, it is EXPENSIVE! But both you and April20 are saying it's totally worth it, and you guys never steered me wrong! :bigsmile:)

Ooooh horseback riding! If you liked the company you used, let me know who they were (if you remember)

And for some reason I wasn't even thinking MASSAGE, but that sounds AWESOME.

I've written the Kelebek to see if they have availability.

It depends on what you enjoy - the buzz of a cosmopolitan city or the rugged beauty of a natural landscape. I choose nature every time, so I would prefer more time in Goreme. Such a wonderful corner of the world.

If you manage to get into the Kelebek, take lots of photos so I can live vicariously. And yes, I know Butterfly is expensive. But their flying record is flawless (in fact Mike left another company after they wouldn't make the safety changes he recommended). Their balloons have far fewer people (there were 8 of us on our flight), are brand new and perfectly maintained. Hot air ballooning is not without risk - fly with the best.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/special/balloon/butterfly_balloons.html

I think if you mention Turkey Travel Planner, you may get a token discount. We did. :))

We did our ride with Dalton Brothers. Avoid Goreme Ranch - their animals look poorly kept.

I blogged about it, if you want to read about any part of our trip to Turkey. http://geesquared.tumblr.com/

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
April20|1366802842|3433549 said:
Turkey is my favorite, favorite place. I'm so excited for you!

I agree with what's been highlighted for Istanbul. And I definitely wouldn't take the time to head over to the Asian side. It will take forever and there just aren't "big" things to see/do over there, especially with your limited time.

I would do a Bosporus cruise if you have time. If you had more days I would tell you to take the ferry that the state runs- it's inexpensive, but it takes practically all day. I believe it leaves from Kabatas. It takes you up to the last little village before the Black Sea. It gives you several hours there - there are a few things to see/do and then it takes you back. With your time frame, I would do an evening cruise. Do a little googling- I think the government one might have a shorter night version, but I am not sure. Otherwise, there are plenty of companies that offer them, but it can get quite costly as often it includes dinner, which you may or may not want to do.

The street food in Istanbul is great. I would definitely get the stuffed muscles by the water where all the boats come in and sell fish sandwiches off the back. I'll warn you now- they're not held hot or cold. It's a sort of "eat at your own risk" thing, but they are SO good. They're stuffed with saffron rice and they squeeze a lemon over them. I could have eaten a dozen easily!!

We spent several days in Goreme as well. SPEND THE MONEY ON THE BALLOON TOUR!!!! It's expensive, but totally worth it. As for hotels, we stayed at the Spelunca Cave Hotels. It's just up the hill in the village and was really nice. http://www.booking.com/hotel/tr/spelunca.en.html There are so many hotels there to choose from that it would be hard to go wrong. Most have breakfast included, which is nice. Just be sure to stay in a cave hotel! And to second Ginger, I have heard from several people how good the Kelebec is. If you can get in, stay there!

I'm assuming you're flying into Nevsehir from Istanbul. I don't know if you've thought thru how you're getting to Goreme, but when we went, we fly Turkish Air and they had a partnership with a shuttle service that took us directly to our hotel and picked us up when it was time to go back to the airport. It was 17TL, which is less than $10USD, give or take. They still offer it. It's here:

http://www.cappadociaexclusive.com/shuttle.html

You really don't need a car in Goreme. We walked or took the bus or dolmus everywhere. We even took the bus to Kaymakli, one of the underground cities. Tour one if you have time- they are amazing!! The organized tours were about 40 euro. I'm CHEAP when it comes to some stuff. We did the bus for about $4 USD round trip for us both plus entry fee (15 TL each). Way, way less than 40 Euro each. We were basically on the bus with tons of Turkish people going to and from work! The driver let us off where we needed to go and made sure we saw where the entry was. At the time, I googled "how to I get to Kaymakli from Goreme by public transportation travel blog" and found good directions. I just googled it again and found it- here's the link if it interests you. http://www.ianandwendy.com/travel/turkey/cappadocia-and-goreme/underground-cities-of-derinkuyu-and-kaymakli.htm

There are lots of good little restaurants in Goreme. We found food to be quite inexpensive all across Turkey- especially compared to other countries we've traveled to.

I have about 1000 photos from our Turkey trip. I can post some highlights of sights if you want. :) I just have to remember which computer they are on!

Did I mention how much I love Turkey and how excited I am for you?

April20, thanks so much for all your wonderful tips!

I already scheduled the shuttle bus from the airport to Goreme via the company you told me about.

I already scheduled the 1.5 hour balloon ride. YEAH! (DH agreed right away, it was a must to do!)

We have reservations at Kelebek :sun: - so we're excited about that too. I (and DH too) am so picky when it comes to hotels. It really does seem - based on the pictures I've seen of the rooms - that the Kelebek does have nice rooms. I'll keep the Spelunca in mind as a second option. I really wish people on Trip Advisor would post pictures of their ROOMS instead of the views - that is often how I make my choice of hotel, by seeing other people's candid pictures. Retouched pictures that the hotels offer don't mean anything to me.

And yes, I cannot WAIT for the food!

Please post pictures! Would love to see some.

Any hotel recs in Istanbul?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1366855161|3434106 said:
It depends on what you enjoy - the buzz of a cosmopolitan city or the rugged beauty of a natural landscape. I choose nature every time, so I would prefer more time in Goreme. Such a wonderful corner of the world.

If you manage to get into the Kelebek, take lots of photos so I can live vicariously. And yes, I know Butterfly is expensive. But their flying record is flawless (in fact Mike left another company after they wouldn't make the safety changes he recommended). Their balloons have far fewer people (there were 8 of us on our flight), are brand new and perfectly maintained. Hot air ballooning is not without risk - fly with the best.

I think if you mention Turkey Travel Planner, you may get a token discount. We did. :))

We did our ride with Dalton Brothers. Avoid Goreme Ranch - their animals look poorly kept.

I blogged about it, if you want to read about any part of our trip to Turkey. http://geesquared.tumblr.com/

I love BOTH, ginger...the buzz of the city AND natural beauty...I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy Istanbul.

And oh, April and Ginger (I think you both mentioned this) - I am also looking into a cruise up the Bosphorous. Thank you for all these wonderful ideas! Do you think this would be good to do the day we get in to Istanbul? (assuming of course the cruise times work out) We land at the airport at 12 P.M. So figure by 3 P.M. or so we should definitely be settled in...

No discounts for Butterfly... ;( but I'm thinking maybe now that I know I'm staying at the Kelebek, they may offer one? I'll check (they're probably getting tired of me asking for a discount) 8)

I'll keep the horsebackriding in mind - I think DH would LOVE that. And :( sad about Goreme Ranch. Why why why do places and people exist who don't take good care of animals? Thank you for the warning - I do not want to see that.

And, I am DEVOURING your blog a little each day. :bigsmile:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
k_darling|1366806597|3433560 said:
We went in September and stayed across the river in Cihangir. We loved the neighborhood we stayed in and it was great to be away from the main tourist drag. If you do some jewelry shopping in the Grand Bazaar, go to Mavi Köşe (No. 11, Bedesten section; 90-212/519-0686). His stuff is INCREDIBLE. It's where Grace Kelly used to shop in Istanbul.

Thanks for the tips darling! Is Cihangir in the Cappadocia area?

justginger

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1366999950|3435076 said:
justginger|1366855161|3434106 said:

I love BOTH, ginger...the buzz of the city AND natural beauty...I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy Istanbul.

And oh, April and Ginger (I think you both mentioned this) - I am also looking into a cruise up the Bosphorous. Thank you for all these wonderful ideas! Do you think this would be good to do the day we get in to Istanbul? (assuming of course the cruise times work out) We land at the airport at 12 P.M. So figure by 3 P.M. or so we should definitely be settled in...

No discounts for Butterfly... ;( but I'm thinking maybe now that I know I'm staying at the Kelebek, they may offer one? I'll check (they're probably getting tired of me asking for a discount) 8)

I'll keep the horsebackriding in mind - I think DH would LOVE that. And :( sad about Goreme Ranch. Why why why do places and people exist who don't take good care of animals? Thank you for the warning - I do not want to see that.

And, I am DEVOURING your blog a little each day. :bigsmile:

I would be concerned about getting to a cruise 3 hours post-arrival. If you're staying in the city proper, the Ataturk airport is a long way away. Our taxi driver drove over 150 mph (he actually hit 180 a few times!) the whole way to our hotel and it still took just under an hour, and that was with open roads at 10 pm. I'd think the commute would easily be twice that in normal daytime traffic. Add in the time spent in customs and immigration, getting baggage, checking in to the hotel, any delay (the airport scheduling in Turkey is VERY loose, lol), etc - I think that afternoon might be best spent exploring by foot. :))

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My visit to Turkey was courtesy of the US Navy decades ago - and I do not remember the city the ship pulled into; but I remember the day trip to Ephesus - and seeing the remnants of one of the ancient 7 wonders of the world (along with certain religious sites related to early Christianity: This is where Mary lived and where Paul lived). Ephesus was a city of about 250,000 during the 1st century and I believe the largest city on the Mediterranean at the time.

Definitely worth seeing.

Oh, Princess Zhanna highly recommends the full turkish massage as well. She says she has never experienced anything as good before or after. Just plan on relaxing the rest of the day after that.

Have a great day,

Perry

justginger

Ideal_Rock
perry|1367067771|3435558 said:
My visit to Turkey was courtesy of the US Navy decades ago - and I do not remember the city the ship pulled into; but I remember the day trip to Ephesus - and seeing the remnants of one of the ancient 7 wonders of the world (along with certain religious sites related to early Christianity: This is where Mary lived and where Paul lived). Ephesus was a city of about 250,000 during the 1st century and I believe the largest city on the Mediterranean at the time.

Definitely worth seeing.

Oh, Princess Zhanna highly recommends the full turkish massage as well. She says she has never experienced anything as good before or after. Just plan on relaxing the rest of the day after that.

Have a great day,

Perry

You would have been in Kusadasi - we visited Ephesus last year as well and loved it. I'm really into that kind of thing, DH wasn't quite as riveted. :lol: She'll unfortunately be a long way from that area of Turkey though, it is a very large country with not such great transportation options. I could easily return to Turkey for a whole month and still feel like I didn't see more than the highlights.

MrsAkin

Rough_Rock
Oh how I wish I could have seen this thread a few days earlier. I am an Istanbulite! I hope it's not too late to write a few words!

I'd recommend you to skip the Asian side. I think a boat ride in Bosphorus will be good enough. The boats are located near the main bus stops in Eminönü. You can see the beautiful waterside mansions, Dolmabahçe and Çırağan Palaces and the Maiden's Tower- in which my husband proposed to me over dinner- in a 1,5 - 2 hour boat ride.

The real Istanbul experience for me is in the old part of the city - The Eminönü - Sultanahmet - Süleymaniye area. In addition to Topkapi Palace, Basilica Cisterns, Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, Istanbul Archeology Museum one should also visit the Süleymaniye Mosque. It was built in the time of "Suleiman the Magnificent". It would be a waste to come to Istanbul and not visit this beautiful mosque. The garden of the mosque also has a great view. If you're planning to visit Süleymaniye, be sure to at least stop by the doors of Istanbul University (it is right across Beyazıt Mosque). It was founded in 1453 and has this great looking entrance. It has a special place in my heart because I spent 4 years there ;-) This is the main entrance:

Cihangir is across Haliç - an area close to Taksim which is now mostly populated by the "artsy" people. Taksim and mainly Istiklal Street was quite popular in the early 1900's. It's still a nice place to visit. I have to warn you though- the street is extremely crowded. If you're not a fan of crowds you may want to skip it altogether. I'm not a fan as I prefer a historical atmosphere. This is a picture of the Istiklal Street:

If I were you I'd spend my first day in the old city and visit Taksim and Dolmabahçe Palace and Ortaköy in my second day. It's so easy to go there as you have lots of transportation options. Oh and now it's time for the İstanbul Tulip Festival, would be worth it to see the numerous types of tulips in Emirgan. Us locals prefer to go to Bosphorus for breakfast on Sundays, have a nice walk by the sea and then go on with our day. I may be blabbering but I am IN LOVE with this city and get excited even when I'm talking about it.

One last thing or two- when you're in Sultanahmet and want to drink tea the Turkish way go to "Çorlulu Ali Paşa Medresesi". They have tea, coffee and water pipes of course. There are lots of places to drink tea but I think this is the most original looking place.

-Hamdi Restaurant in Eminönü has great kebabs and their baklava is really good too.

-If you want to buy Turkish coffee you need to go to "Kurukahveci Mehmet Efendi". It is also in Eminönü. You can see the people waiting in line to get coffee and I'm sure you will also smell the coffee aroma in the air.

Well, I know it is late but really hope this will be helpful for someone.

istanbul-universitesi-y__s-2013.jpg

k__z-kulesi-belgeseli.jpg

__stiklal-caddesi2.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1367058005|3435525 said:
I would be concerned about getting to a cruise 3 hours post-arrival. If you're staying in the city proper, the Ataturk airport is a long way away. Our taxi driver drove over 150 mph (he actually hit 180 a few times!) the whole way to our hotel and it still took just under an hour, and that was with open roads at 10 pm. I'd think the commute would easily be twice that in normal daytime traffic. Add in the time spent in customs and immigration, getting baggage, checking in to the hotel, any delay (the airport scheduling in Turkey is VERY loose, lol), etc - I think that afternoon might be best spent exploring by foot. :))

OK - agreed - probably a bit optimistic to do the cruise that day. 8)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry|1367067771|3435558 said:

Definitely worth seeing.

Have a great day,

Perry

Thanks Perry - we're so short on time that we will probably have to skip this - we had to make some tough choices.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results