shape
carat
color
clarity

Ways to re-wear your wedding jewelry

Razz

Rough_Rock
I just came across a thread where someone was worried about being able to wear their wedding jewelry after the day, and I was wondering how this would even be possible?

MarlonN

Rough_Rock
Other than choosing timeless pieces of jewelry, I don't really know how someone could wear those items especially if they are really heavy or ornamental.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I wore fairly simple jewellery on my wedding day (dainty crystal drop earrings and a simple faceted crystal bead necklace) and I still wear them. It makes me happy to wear my wedding jewels once in a while. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, that assumes a lot of things.

My wedding jewelry was my MIL's antique diamond watch (something borrowed), my crystal hair comb that I have framed, and some big crystal statement earrings that I think I was insane when I bought ($$$) but that I turned around and sold on ebay at a very small loss (apparently the insanity is catching).

But for those with "real" jewelry... depends on your pieces.

Can you post them? That would be the way we could be the most helpful. Some pieces are very easily re-used. Others, not so much. So it really depends on what you have.

Razz

Rough_Rock
I was asking because I read someone else's thread which made me think of this question. She didn't post any pictures on there.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My something "old, borrowed & blue" were a pair of ornate antique rose gold and sapphire drop earrings from my older sister. They were our great grandmothers from the 1920's & each earring was 3 bezelled Ceylon sapphs dropping down, increasing in size. Articulated & beautiful & my sister, who wore them to her own wedding many years before me, still wears them frequently.

I had no other jewellery apart from my enagagement ring on my right hand, and a rose gold wire & crystal headpiece, which was boxed & put away with my dresss.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
My wedding jewelry was a pair of dangly pearl earrings with red crystals to match my red shoes, and a hair adornment that had a floral motif. I haven't worn the hair adornment, but I can re-wear the earrings with anything.

Razz

Rough_Rock
I guess unless you have the money to spare, the best thing to do would be to choose your wedding jewelry very carefully and keep in mind that you will definitely want to wear it again after the big day. A great way to go would be to opt for the simpler classic and timeless pieces that will look great with your dress and with anything else.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have noticed brides with pears with a long drop pearl or ornament in the centre and often thought it could only look bridal, is this what you mean? Suppose it could be restrung without large pearl but then would not be the same necklace.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore my Add a Pearl necklace with pearls added until I was 12yo (a family tradition)and a small diamond solitaire necklace my husband gave me -the first piece of jewelry he picked out for me. I still wear these pieces at times. Both pieces I intend to hand down to my daughters. I did not have pierced ears at the time so no expensive earrings. Did not matter as I wore my hair down. I could never see buying expensive costume jewelry for the wedding. Now that pearls-fresh water- are so inexpensive, lovely earrings and necklaces can be bought for nearly the same price if set in sterling silver and can be worn later. You can't wear the ballgown and veil again but you can wear the jewelry if you choose wisely.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if there's a cultural component to this question? In some cultures the wedding jewelry is super over the top, like if you look at Indian wedding jewelry. But I know a lot of times it is rented rather than owned, so re-wearing wouldn't be an issue.

Like I don't know how common a setup ike this would be but it certainly doesn't look terribly rewearable.

I wonder if there's a cultural component to this question? In some cultures the wedding jewelry is super over the top, like if you look at Indian wedding jewelry. But I know a lot of times it is rented rather than owned, so re-wearing wouldn't be an issue.

Like I don't know how common a setup ike this would be but it certainly doesn't look terribly rewearable.

Reviving this thread out of the blue but I often read old threads on PS and occasionally am tempted into commenting.

The pic example you gave here is quite OTT but not unheard or unseen of (speaking only of the jewelry) in India. In that pic I count a pair of jhumkas (earrings - totally rewearable to other people’s weddings and functions), 3 necklaces (a choker, a gulbandh and then the third might qualify as a rani haar I suppose? Or a second gulbandh?) these you could wear to other people’s weddings but only one at a time. Armband (bajubandh) is out of fashion now in the north but still worn in the south. Bangles/bracelets (kadas and/or churis) are easily rewearable (you’d just wear less of them at a go maybe). On her head there’s a borla (the round thing in the hairline) and a passa (the other thing on her head) - you would again as a non bride wear one at a time, not both. The least wearable thing is the jewelry in her nose (nath) because that’s very bridal. You probably would rarely to never wear the nath again. I think Indians tend to be more “practical” with their bling choices funnily enough no matter how OTT they are - the culture supports being this decked out so if you live in India you get good use out of your stuff. On average, my friends living in India attend something like 20-30 weddings a year. I have friends who would wear something like that choker (just the choker though, not all of it) to a Diwali party (literally the equivalent of a Christmas party); though ofc that isn’t expected of you.

My answer to the original question would be that you can totally rewear your wedding bling as long as it’s something that is either timeless/classic, as others said, or if it’s dramatic/OTT then it can be used as separate pieces even if not all together.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
My wedding jewels were vintage diamond heart pendant diamond pear drop earrings, Mikimoto pearl bracelet, and my wedding set.
The earrings and Mikimoto are mine to borrow anytime from my mom but I do not own them. I wear my diamond heart quite often and my wedding set most days.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore a gorgeous pair of pearl Tiffany earrings which were stolen by a trainee cleaner that my regular cleaner brought along. I'd wear them a lot if I still had them.

Tiffany pearls.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Reviving this thread out of the blue but I often read old threads on PS and occasionally am tempted into commenting.

The pic example you gave here is quite OTT but not unheard or unseen of (speaking only of the jewelry) in India. In that pic I count a pair of jhumkas (earrings - totally rewearable to other people’s weddings and functions), 3 necklaces (a choker, a gulbandh and then the third might qualify as a rani haar I suppose? Or a second gulbandh?) these you could wear to other people’s weddings but only one at a time. Armband (bajubandh) is out of fashion now in the north but still worn in the south. Bangles/bracelets (kadas and/or churis) are easily rewearable (you’d just wear less of them at a go maybe). On her head there’s a borla (the round thing in the hairline) and a passa (the other thing on her head) - you would again as a non bride wear one at a time, not both. The least wearable thing is the jewelry in her nose (nath) because that’s very bridal. You probably would rarely to never wear the nath again. I think Indians tend to be more “practical” with their bling choices funnily enough no matter how OTT they are - the culture supports being this decked out so if you live in India you get good use out of your stuff. On average, my friends living in India attend something like 20-30 weddings a year. I have friends who would wear something like that choker (just the choker though, not all of it) to a Diwali party (literally the equivalent of a Christmas party); though ofc that isn’t expected of you.

My answer to the original question would be that you can totally rewear your wedding bling as long as it’s something that is either timeless/classic, as others said, or if it’s dramatic/OTT then it can be used as separate pieces even if not all together.

Still looking for an Indian freind so i can go to a wedding

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wore a gorgeous pair of pearl Tiffany earrings which were stolen by a trainee cleaner that my regular cleaner brought along. I'd wear them a lot if I still had them.

Tiffany pearls.jpg

They are lovelly

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:
I can talk cricket with the other guests !

Omg you’ll fit right in! Better than I do lol I am not a cricket person except World Cup time where I paint my face, put on my jersey, and watch every game lmao.

Also, something (borderline creepy) that I do when I miss India and weddings (especially since the pandemic, boo) is watch videos of strangers getting married online (on YouTube or Vimeo) so if you want to immerse yourself in Indian weddings that’s a good way to do it…. Or you could watch The Big Day on Netflix! If you want recommendations for the former I can drop some names!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Omg you’ll fit right in! Better than I do lol I am not a cricket person except World Cup time where I paint my face, put on my jersey, and watch every game lmao.

Also, something (borderline creepy) that I do when I miss India and weddings (especially since the pandemic, boo) is watch videos of strangers getting married online (on YouTube or Vimeo) so if you want to immerse yourself in Indian weddings that’s a good way to do it…. Or you could watch The Big Day on Netflix! If you want recommendations for the former I can drop some names!

India have the best cricket fans
I can't wait for NZ to tour India next
...well once covid is over and done with
you guys pack out stadiums for test cricket :kiss2: if we had lost the other night and you were world test champions i would have been ok about it
I have started watching the Indian weddings !

India have the best cricket fans
I can't wait for NZ to tour India next
...well once covid is over and done with
you guys pack out stadiums for test cricket :kiss2: if we had lost the other night and you were world test champions i would have been ok about it
I have started watching the Indian weddings !

Cricket is a religion here, pretty much! I remember the year we won the World Cup in Mumbai - I think 2011? Match ended late at night and I was in Mumbai at the time though couldn’t swing tickets for the match and the entire city just erupted. We ran out on to the streets singing and screaming and crying haha. Was amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results