shape
carat
color
clarity

wax mold for my 2 carat bezel... Not loving it

liloette

Rough_Rock
I use my hands a lot outside and wanted a low maintenance ring. I like very few bezel settings. I want a chunkier ring, wide band and was hoping to achieve a cushion cut appeal with my 2 carat round diamond. The jeweler showed me the mold today and I told him it wasn't what I had in mind. Can they not wrap the corners with yellow gold to give it a cushion look?
This doesn't have to be my everyday wedding ring, but I want to love it. I'll eventually get a larger stone with 6 or 8 prong. I want to have a bezel Ring and a prong ring. The wax mold looks odd, right? A round diamond in a square setting....

_5812.jpeg

_5813.jpeg

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Are you saying you want to give your round diamond a square appearance? There are ways to do that, and a lot of vintage settings achieve this (often called an "illusion" setting). I agree that this wax has nothing going for it--clunky, looks like preschool kids made it. You can do better!! But for the forum members to help you'll need to say exactly what you are hoping for.

liloette

Rough_Rock
I like the look of this one, but I do want a thicker band. I haven't seen any Photos of 2 carat round bezels that I love. I do like this cushion style shown in photo.

Maybe I should change the entire ring to a prong or claw setting? I'm all over the place, trying to stick to something similar that the jeweler made and not change design on him. Is it time consuming for them to create different molds?

_1430.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. So as it is now, it looks similar to this:

erikas_ring.jpg
imageuploadedbytapatalk1353094580.jpg

But not as rounded.

That is nothing like the look of the image you posted that you wanted.

liloette

Rough_Rock
I do like that image you sent, funny cause I have that same ring saved in my Pinterest.are there side shots of her bezel?

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello Liloette
The image you posted as Gypsy says is just a bezel set ring, the stone is cushion shaped.
I agree I don't really like this wax but I think its because the proportions are off. The band is too thick, there is no detailing on the gallery and the way the head joins the band is not very attractive (I am not an expert though!).
I am in the process of having a similar ring made and am just about to go to setting but have shown a picture below.
Also, Erica Winters has a squared off ring with a round stone which is very simple and lovely and works. So I don't think its an issue with the style you have chosen, more the execution of the ring.
Hope this helps.
Chris

dsc_2309-2.jpg

erika-winters-designs-jin-solitaire-face-collections.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can look here for inspiration. But please do not rip off her design. It is copyright protected and her property. She sells her designs for a living. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yellow-gold-bezels-coati-are-you-around.171706/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yellow-gold-bezels-coati-are-you-around.171706/[/URL]

So if you want a ring like that, your best bet is to contact Erika Winters (that is Coati's real name) Jewelry for a quote. Okay? Don't copy her ring intentionally. http://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-01.html this is her site.

http://erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Jin-Solitaire.html#.V9jf4q1n3IU here is the Jin Solitiare, it's glorious.

Again Coati, the pricescope whose ring that is sells her designs under her real name Erika Winters.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christinak|1473830930|4076251 said:
Hello Liloette
The image you posted as Gypsy says is just a bezel set ring, the stone is cushion shaped.

This is incorrect. The stone is round. I've seen it in person (and tried to run off with it) several times, and in different settings, not just that one.

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello Gypsy
I meant in the image Lilolette posted. I think that's a cushion in a bezel, not a round in a square setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, yeah. That is DEFINITELY a cushion. Sorry misunderstood. =)

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello Gypsy :wavey:
No problem. I love the help you give here :appl:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christinak|1473833269|4076266 said:
Hello Gypsy :wavey:
No problem. I love the help you give here :appl:

Thank you Christinak! Please continue posting and helping out!! It's great.

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1473831008|4076252 said:
You can look here for inspiration. But please do not rip off her design. It is copyright protected and her property. She sells her designs for a living. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yellow-gold-bezels-coati-are-you-around.171706/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yellow-gold-bezels-coati-are-you-around.171706/[/URL]

So if you want a ring like that, your best bet is to contact Erika Winters (that is Coati's real name) Jewelry for a quote. Okay? Don't copy her ring intentionally. http://erikawinters.com/engagement-rings-01.html this is her site.

http://erikawinters.com/Engagement-Rings-Jin-Solitaire.html#.V9jf4q1n3IU here is the Jin Solitiare, it's glorious.

Again Coati, the pricescope whose ring that is sells her designs under her real name Erika Winters.

I thought Single Stone made all the gold bezel rings in that thread. Is it because Erika Winters is now in the trade that the design is hers instead of Single Stone? Just wondering since Yssie's designs are being made by the vendors she had produce her rings.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do believe Singlestone's bench made the settings. But Erika was an employee there. And I am nearly positive the design was and is hers. I would at least do the courtesy of asking her.

liloette

Rough_Rock
The diamond in the wax is mine, that one isn't a cushion. I wish it was!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1473837215|4076277 said:
I do believe Singlestone's bench made the settings. But Erika was an employee there. And I am nearly positive the design was and is hers. I would at least do the courtesy of asking her.

I once spoke to Erika about this ring and, as I recall, it's actually a close copy of a ring Ari's wife has/had and she had to ask permission to copy it.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello Liloette
I agree I don't really like this wax but I think its because the proportions are off. The band is too thick, there is no detailing on the gallery and the way the head joins the band is not very attractive (I am not an expert though!).
I am in the process of having a similar ring made and am just about to go to setting but have shown a picture below.
Also, Erica Winters has a squared off ring with a round stone which is very simple and lovely and works. So I don't think its an issue with the style you have chosen, more the execution of the ring.
Hope this helps.
Chris

Isn't the top one the SS collette with a different shank?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1473859293|4076352 said:
Hello Liloette
Hope this helps.
Chris

Soxfan -

Before Erika or SS did it, I believe Diamonds By Lauren did it. And before that - anyone who cushion set a round stone. I don't think that design belongs to anyone; there's a long history of that design going back a long while and only so many ways it can be done. My earrings are a bezel set round in a cushion shaped metal base. I just wanted bezels in a cushion shape - and that's how it came out. MIne are hollow tho, and have a beautiful pierced lace pattern on the back. Erika's has a channel between the bezel and the cushion shape - if that counts for anything. I think that's what sets it apart from a straight bezel in a cushion setting, tho I believe DBL had that channel also.

In fact, I'd say the OP's ring is closer to my earrings than to Erika's or SS's or DBL's setting. But, as I say, there's only a few ways you can do a bezel in a cushion shape, and this seems the most unadorned, straight-forward one I can imagine.

And for what it's worth....

OP - I like it! If a cushion is what you want, I'd get a cushion. Trying to make a cushion from a round will cost you far too much face-up size, so you'd be paying for diamond ctw you'll never see. I'd either go with the design you've been given (slimmed down maybe - tho wax molds are always chunkier than the finished product) or trade your diamond for a cushion. I don't think I'd be trying to make a cushion shape from a round tho.

ETA Have added a photo of my earrings. These are, I believe, 9.8mm across and they hold a 6.4mm diamond. Your ring setting looks more delicate than this, but this might give you some idea how your ring would look; similar, but less metal in the bezel and, I think, in the cushion.

img_2204_copy.jpg

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b|1473867689|4076424 said:

Soxfan -

Before Erika or SS did it, I believe Diamonds By Lauren did it. And before that - anyone who cushion set a round stone. I don't think that design belongs to anyone; there's a long history of that design going back a long while and only so many ways it can be done. My earrings are a bezel set round in a cushion shaped metal base. I just wanted bezels in a cushion shape - and that's how it came out. MIne are hollow tho, and have a beautiful pierced lace pattern on the back. Erika's has a channel between the bezel and the cushion shape - if that counts for anything. I think that's what sets it apart from a straight bezel in a cushion setting, tho I believe DBL had that channel also.

In fact, I'd say the OP's ring is closer to my earrings than to Erika's or SS's or DBL's setting. But, as I say, there's only a few ways you can do a bezel in a cushion shape, and this seems the most unadorned, straight-forward one I can imagine.
[/quote]

I hope I didn't come across as saying it belonged to anyone, I was asking because I LOVE the collette. It's probably one of my top 5 favorite settings on PS. If the design "really" doesn't belong to one person in particular, I want a copy of it someday!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

imdoubler

Shiny_Rock
soxfan|1473876292|4076475 said:
mrs-b|1473867689|4076424 said:

Soxfan -

I hope I didn't come across as saying it belonged to anyone, I was asking because I LOVE the collette. It's probably one of my top 5 favorite settings on PS. If the design "really" doesn't belong to one person in particular, I want a copy of it someday!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

I want to copy as well! One of my all time favorites on PS.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out this really cool one by Eric Trabert. I love how clean and modern it is.

_1437.png

liloette

Rough_Rock
Picked up modified ring today

Good evening.
Maybe I'm supposed to start a new thread to post photos of my modified ring?
Remember that wax mold I posted a while back? I had the jeweler shave off a bit of the gold surrounding the diamond and thin down the band. I wanted it to be more rounded. I'm not jumping with joy with the end results, but I don't necessarily dislike it. It's plain and simple, doesn't snag and the main focus is the diamond.
I had him do a satin finish but I removed it with steel wool this evening (I like it better now).

I swoon over the attached photo of this 15 carat collet set diamond ring. Love how the band is fully rounded and The way it attaches to the area surrounding stone. (I'm lacking proper vocab here so feel free to educate me) do you think it is possible to achieve this look with my 2.22 carat diamond? The way it is now, feels like I have a disk attached to a band.

_6183.jpeg

_6184.jpeg

_1483.png

liloette

Rough_Rock
I posted some photos of how it turned out

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results