shape
carat
color
clarity

Warning for dog owners!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bettina

Rough_Rock

I am going through the worst experience at the moment due to the dumbest thing - sugar free gum. I work midnights so my poor dachshund is alone all night while I''m gone and bored all day while I sleep. Normally he''s sleeping right next to me during the day, but yesterday he decided to use all 15 pounds of him to knock down my work bag, miraculously unzip the pockets, and eat the equivalent to an entire pack of Stride.

I thought nothing of it until I googled it. Sugar free gum contains xylitol which is poisonous to dogs. This is bad. Very bad. He ate about 20 pieces. Xylitol causes a sudden drop in blood sugar due to bursts of insulin and can cause liver failure. So far we''ve been through 16 hours of stress and $1000. I don''t even know that he''ll be okay long term.

Please be careful where you leave your chewing gum. I know for sure it''ll never be in my house again. I thought I knew most everything that could poison a dog. Just wanted to pass this on.

sweetlittlever.JPG

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bettina, thank you so much for posting this warning. I don''t have a dog, but I have friends that do...I''ll let them know.

Is your dog going to be OK?

bettina

Rough_Rock
claudinam - they''ve been able to keep his sugar levels in the safe zone so far but that''s A LOT of gum for a little dog like him. They can''t do much but pump him with fluids and monitor. I just have to wait for now. I''m dying inside, I swear.
39.gif
I''m one of those people who are putting off kids for now and throwing all my maternal instincts on my dog.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, bettina, I am so sorry, I feel for you.

I am an avid animal lover...I have a cat that I love to death. So I totally get it.

Please keep us updated.

What''s his name?

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea that was poisonous! I"m sorry for what you are going through with your pup, but thank you for posting this. I will keep this in mind as to where we keep our gum from now on.
Fingers crossed for your adorable doggie!

bettina

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 10:28:01 AM
Author: claudinam
Oh, bettina, I am so sorry, I feel for you.

I am an avid animal lover...I have a cat that I love to death. So I totally get it.

Please keep us updated.

What''s his name?
Oliver, because he looks like a ragamuffin. He''s a silver double dapple mini-dachshund. My little Ver. Poor baby.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We''re thinking of you and sending you hugs and well-wishes, Oliver...get better!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Oh no! Best wishes for your poochie!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bettina,

My thoughts are with you. Please keep us updated! I am also glad for the warning. Our current dog is still only 11 months and chews anything at all (although he specializes in softcover library books and packets of important documents). My daughter had to be treated for Tylenol toxicity and we were lucky that she escaped liver damage. Please know I am serious when I urge you to keep us informed on how Oliver is progressing!

All my best,
Deborah
34.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Bettina, I am so sorry.

Hope he will be okay.

It is good for us to know all the unsafe things in our homes that pets have access to...I never knew for example grapes, raisins, and onions were not great for them. I knew chocolate of course, but a grape can fall on the floor easily and get gobbled and a small dog could get sick.

Thanks for the heads up and prays to your baby.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Oh Bettina, I am so sorry. I had no idea Xylitol was poisonous to dogs (it''s in EVERY gum here), and I really hope your dog gets better. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for him!

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Best wishes for the little one! My dog gets into everything too!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Awww poor puplette
7.gif

Thanks for sharing, I had no idea it was poisonous.

I hope the little one has a complete recovery.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Bettina I hope he''s doing okay! Thank you for the advice and warning. Please give us an update!!
15.gif
((Hugs)) and dust!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
bettina- your poor boy! I had no idea about this either, I must admit. Thank you for the warning. My pooch is sending loads of healthy thoughts to yours!

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bettina, try to hang in while you''re going through this. I know it''s hard, I''ve been through it. Odds are, the little
11.gif
will be OK. Two of my dogs, my oldest dog (who passed away of natural causes) and the one who is now my oldest, ate their way through a half pound of my sugar free gum drops that were sweetened with sorbitol and mannitol. (I eat two at a time) They had spontaneous runs for two to three days, but then they were OK. The Vet told me to just keep them hydrated while their bodies processed all the phoney sugar. Then again during the Christmas holidays, my oldest dog (the one who passed) ate an entire candy dish of Hershey''s kisses- red and green foil wrappings and all, and it didn''t do a darned thing to her! Chocolate is supposed to be terrible for dogs. Of course we never know how this is going to turn out when they get into things that they shouldn''t, but most of the time, they''re OK, just a little sick to their stomach.

My current youngest dog, a pedigree cross bred JackRat, swipes a piece of Dentyne Ice every once in a while. I guess she craves that minty fresh taste to her breath! I know it''s not funny but JackRat''s can jump up onto high things just like a cat can.
She rummages through my handbag when I''m not looking.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Bettina, I hope Oliver is okay. It is agonizing to see your pet in danger or ill, I''m so sorry.

Thank you for the information, I had no idea about xylitol. My dog at some chocolate cupcakes last year that warranted a trip to the emergency vet, and it was an ordeal but in the end she was fine.

Best wishes to you and Ver!

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
i dont have dogs, but thanks for the warning. i got chills reading about that. i am so sorry for you. i hope that your pup will be ok. please keep us posted

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2008 6:56:44 PM
Author: gemgirl
bettina, try to hang in while you're going through this. I know it's hard, I've been through it. Odds are, the little
11.gif
will be OK. Two of my dogs, my oldest dog (who passed away of natural causes) and the one who is now my oldest, ate their way through a half pound of my sugar free gum drops that were sweetened with sorbitol and mannitol. (I eat two at a time) They had spontaneous runs for two to three days, but then they were OK. The Vet told me to just keep them hydrated while their bodies processed all the phoney sugar. Then again during the Christmas holidays, my oldest dog (the one who passed) ate an entire candy dish of Hershey's kisses- red and green foil wrappings and all, and it didn't do a darned thing to her! Chocolate is supposed to be terrible for dogs. Of course we never know how this is going to turn out when they get into things that they shouldn't, but most of the time, they're OK, just a little sick to their stomach.

My current youngest dog, a pedigree cross bred JackRat, swipes a piece of Dentyne Ice every once in a while. I guess she craves that minty fresh taste to her breath! I know it's not funny but JackRat's can jump up onto high things just like a cat can.
She rummages through my handbag when I'm not looking.
Gemgirl, that's SO weird! Our Great Dane did the EXACT SAME THING! They were even Christmas Hershey's Kisses!
23.gif

Of course, I was absolutely FRANTIC because everyone says chocolate is potentially deadly for dogs. I called my vet immediately, and he said not to worry about it. Evidently, since Caesar is such a big boy (about 120 pounds), and since they were milk chocolate and not dark chocolate, it's not a big deal. And he was totally fine! There was some sparkly red and green poop in the yard for the next few days, though! LOL!
2.gif

Bettina, I really hope Oliver is OK. Please keep us posted on how he's doing! ((((HUGS)))) and lots of dust to you and Ver!
7.gif

ETA: His pic is just ADORABLE! What a sweet boy!
30.gif

bettina

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the well wishes! During my visit tonight the vet said that she thinks he''ll be fine but we still need another blood panel tomorrow to make sure his liver''s okay. She was scared of the amount of gum vs his tiny little body weight. But his sugars are stabilizing on their own much better and he''s acting as normal as a puppy can be away from home and with an iv. Gave me quite a scare. Maybe I can quit calling every hour for updates. If all goes well he''ll be released on sunday. Little bugger''s going to be caged when I sleep from now on. Now that I know he''s okay I can start stressing about the bill. O.M.G!

Ver.1.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG what a cutie...

And SO glad to hear he is OK so far! Hopefully liver test will come back OK.

I know, vets are SO expensive. I always tell my cat I'm going to send him out to look for a job...

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
awww...he''s such a cutie pie. I''m so glad to hear that it sounds like he''s mostly out of the woods - good thoughts for you and him in his recovery.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a sweet dog! I am so glad to hear that he is going to be OK. I had no idea that sugar free gum would have that kind of effect on a dog. I will be sure to pass this on.

Best wishes to you both!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bettina, how''s Oliver? Did he come home yesterday?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the warning and I REALLY hope your puppy is going to be ok! I had no idea that was so dangerous. My dogs have gotten into my gum before, it probably was sugarless since that''s what I usually buy. Luckily they are huge and it wasn''t a lot of gum, but I will definitely be more cautious now. Your dog is adorable, so glad he''s doing better. Keep us posted!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Awwww, Bettina, I''m glad to hear he''s a bit better, but I am also hoping to hear he was able to come home and will have a swift recovery.

I also have a dachshund, and I know there is nothing those little carpet sharks can''t get into. I really appreciate the warning about the gum. I had no idea.
7.gif

dendon

Shiny_Rock
So sorry to hear that, wow, didn''t know that was poisonous!!

23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results