shape
carat
color
clarity

Wanting a "Traveling Ring"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Ps-ers, I haven't posted in a while due to school CRAZINESS and general life stress. But I finally finished the semester from hell, and now I've got a craving for a new sparkly
3.gif

I went on a sailing trip this weekend and didn't want to wear my ER, so I grabbed a little silver trinket that I've had since highschool and wore that. This got me thinking that I'd love to get something smaller, but of great quality, to wear when traveling, especially camping or boating where I'd be afraid of damaging my ER (Cushion cut, lots of pave). I'm also wanting to reward myself for finishing the craziest semester of my life so far, and being just ONE class away from finishing
9.gif

So, I have two questions:
1) James Allen vs Whiteflash, any comments or tips? I know both are great PS vendors and I can find great quality from either one, just wondering what people's thoughts were.
2) Can you guys help me find something within this range (I really want the PS feedback and stamp of approval)

H&A
0.30-0.40
F-H color
VS1-SI1 clarity (eye-clean obviously)
AGS 0

I'd like to keep the whole project at about $1,000 or less, including a very simple setting (perhaps 4 or 6-prong solitaire or knife-edge solitaire. I'd love platinum, but I'm fine with WG for the budget since my ER is platinum)

Thank-you in advance for the help!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly it might be better to get a band to wear...I would worry about damaging ANY ering during sports unless it was a gypsy bezel set something.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2008 8:07:45 PM
Author: neatfreak
Honestly it might be better to get a band to wear...I would worry about damaging ANY ering during sports unless it was a gypsy bezel set something.
That''s exactly what I was thinking. I''d suggest the scattered diamond band, if you really want some bling. But otherwise, I''d just get a plain one, maybe with some engraving to spice it up?

vslover

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s a nice idea. I''ve thought of doing it myself...though I don''t know that I could go to a smaller diamond than what I''m wearing now. Would it bother you to do that? If not, go for it!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I think this is a great idea. I recently put a small colored diamond (0.25 ct) into my original e-ring solitaire setting and wear it along with a narrow plain gold wedding band just about anywhere, doing just about anything. I suggest staying under 0.50 ct and make it a simple solitaire to maximize wearability. Get a quote from a jeweler for putting it into a simple Stuller setting to save $$$.

As others have suggested, you can also wear the plain band solo, depending on what you are doing.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Bri, do you participate when you sail, as in, are you part of the crew - hoisting sails, at the tiller/wheel, working the jib, etc.? If so, I wouldn''t wear any ring with any stones in it. I wear my plat T&C wband when we sail. I wear sailing gloves so I can work the lines and deal with ropes, etc. I wouldn''t even wear my tiny stone eternity wband because gripping tillers, wheels and ropes cant be good for that, even with gloves on, right? And you can slip and grab onto something to catch yourself..There''s just way too much to screw up a ring with stones on it or in it. I''d get a plain nice band and call it a day!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
A plain heavy band of white or yellow gold or even sterling would be a nice alternative to wearing your e-ring.Wear a ring that is risk free in that if it gets damaged then it can be easily polished or rhodiumed to look good again.No missing stones or worn design and a band will go with everthing over many years of wear.

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Thank-you for all of the suggestions. I was considering a band, I guess that I just thought it might be odd since we''re not married yet, and it would feel kind of like a WB to me. Surfgirl, it''s a good point that you make about the sailing, I guess I wouldn''t want anything that could get caught up in any lines or anything.
Well, I''ll just keep looking, and hopefully I might have something to post in SMTR in a few weeks or so.
By the way, Neatfreak, I just have to say that I LOVE your new ring. I''m so happy it all worked out for you. Even while I wasn''t posting on PS, I still wondered if you ever got your stone re-set. Love the clean and modern lines, it''s gorgeous!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Yeah I just got a plain platinum band for when I am going to be sleeping in the hospital, using my hands a lot, or traveling to unusual places. Since my wband is diamond eternity, I love having the plain platinum as a new option. It''s such a different classic look. More options = better
1.gif

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
We''re on the same page! I have a gorgeous OEC that''s, um, slightly on the larger side, and I feel very self-conscious wearing it around town. I''m also considering a traveling set, with a smaller stone and a basic look, so I don''t have to worry about my ring. Like you, I have a limited budget for the set and don''t want to spend too much. I''m also considering an antique or estate wedding set, since I have tiny fingers (3.75), or a colored stone (colored diamond? sapphire? emerald--my FI''s birthstone)... Help! I have too many ideas!

So I guess my question would be -- how small can I go on the center stone?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also agree about a band and not a stone. I think the Cartier rolling ring in tri gold is great.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results