shape
carat
color
clarity

Wanted an upgrade then something changed your mind?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
I keep going back and forth.
One day I want my stone bigger and bad, like right now bad!
But on other days, I look at it and it already IS big so why change something already beautiful?
Any of you wanted one but maybe someone said something to change your mind or an event occurred and now you would never want or need an upgrade?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was in the process of upgrading my diamond. I had to halt proceedings as we had car trouble. I got a new setting instead which makes my original diamond look bigger. I''m glad i didn''t upgrade now. I really love my diamond.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I definitely feel the same way. Sometimes I think about upgrading, but then I remember how much I really love my stone and would be totally happy if I kept it for the rest of my life....I really do adore it and have sentimental attachment to it for sure!!!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Are you reading my mind, Peepa!? I constantly go back and forth. I would love a larger stone in a more simple setting, but, I can never bring myself to pull the trigger. I love my current ring, but, some days I cannot stop hunting for that upgrade. Now, with prices going up, I''m just not sure it is the right time. I bought my current house at the top of the housing bubble. I don''t want to spend too much for a stone if this IS a diamond bubble (not saying it is...The thought has just been crossing my mind). Also, I worry that what I want will not look good on me. I''m not sure I can pull it off. Even the guy at Tiffany''s said I should wait until I looked older to get it!
20.gif

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t seem to commit to anything right now. Deciding what colour I want my toenails painted has been an event lately, nevermind deciding what to do about jewellery. For me it''s not so much about upgrades, DH isn''t an upgrade person even though he''s not sentimental, it''s about deciding what I want next. I''d love an eternity band, or dangle earrings, or a larger 5-7 stone, or a ... I can afford to do project but I just can''t decide and rather than my list getting smaller and narrowing things down I keep adding to it making the decision harder.

Not quite the same thing I know, but still all about actually committing to a a piece of jewellery
1.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I think maybe putting a timeline on an upgrade would help with the bug and give you that time to truly enjoy the stone you have now because you know you''ll soon have a new one on your left finger.
30.gif

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Maisie, what kind of setting did you get? I''m thinking of a halo. Wondering if those really make a rings looks bigger.

mom2twogirls

Shiny_Rock
Originally, I thought I wanted to turn my stone (1.34 cts.) into a pendant and then upgrade to a larger stone. But I really love my diamond, so instead I had it it set into a halo and then bought an eternity band to go with it. I love my new set!
1.gif

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
If I were to get a new setting instead of upgrading, what do I do with my original setting? What''d you guys do?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Maybe the win-win solution is to halo! You get to keep the stone you love AND it looks a lot bigger!

As for the original setting, I am looking for ideas as well. I have a temp plat setting that I''m going to be stuck with... Hopefully the designer who ends up making our setting will take it off our hands & knock a couple hundred off the price?

I have no idea what happens to settings once the center stone is removed. I guess you could put another stone in it... but I don''t even like the setting as it is. Big monster prongs! Very sturdy, though. I love that part.
31.gif

mom2twogirls

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 4:58:52 PM
Author: Peepa
If I were to get a new setting instead of upgrading, what do I do with my original setting? What''d you guys do?
My original setting (6-prong platinum Tiffany-style knife edge) is sitting in a tiny plastic bag in my jewelry box. It looks strange with no stone in it! I have no idea what, if anything, I''ll do with it. To be honest, it never occured to me that I needed to do anything with it!
2.gif

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I went back and forth for a long time -- as my original e-ring had so much sentimental value and it really is beautiful.
I knew I would always keep that ring and never change it. I started trying on different shapes and then cooled off the whole upgrade idea because nothing I tried on felt like it belonged to me... My diamond had been with me so long, engagement, wedding, birth of a child, 9 years of marriage...9 years of life, the ring was just a part of me.

That is until I laid eyes on a beautiful asscher -- that seemed to call to me "take me home!"... But I didn''t want to give in as I felt like I was betraying my original e-ring.. I felt so guilty (kind of weird I know). So, I was still undecided for awhile -- then took the leap (thanks to many enablers here...hee hee hee) and upgraded.

I am extremely happy I did it... and I look forward to upgrading my upgrade...
(Yes, my name is LWD and I am a diamond-a-holic)

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I replced my chipped stone a few months ago, I thought about doing a serious upgrade. I tried on a friend''s 3.4 ct and it looked plain silly on me (gorgeous on her though). I tried on a 2 ct at a jewelry store, but I thought I would feel uneasy wearing it. I don''t think I could pull off wearing a larger stone. I ended up going from a 1.23 ct to a 1.32 ct. What an upgrade! Every now and then I do wonder if I should have gone with a 2 ct, but then I look at my beautiful ring sparkling it''s little heart out and think "nope, I''m good."

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I STILL feel it sometimes!

Honestly, it is tough, if you have a gorgeous stone and setting now. Of course, one can always go bigger, as big as one feels comfortable with and is appropriate in their world. But one can also always make a case NOT to upgrade. I sometimes feel a bit of guilt with all the material stuff I have, and certainly do not NEED, but I derive joy from my things. It is a tough question. Sometimes people simply cannot find anything they like better, and sometimes they hit a financial hardship and have to put it off.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I am in the process of doing this right now. I want to upgrade my stone, I have already sent it back to the company, but there was a problem with the first stone I got and I returned it and now there is something with the second stone I got, so I am having it sent to Richard Sherwood today for evaluation.

It''s not a huge difference that I am upgrading to, only .35 points, but I definitely do notice the difference and it looks big now compared to looking just right before.

I wish I could upgrade to a much larger stone size wise, but prices are crazy and I promised my hubby that I would not spend too much for this upgrade since a baby is on the way and I won''t be working for a while.

Do I miss my old stone? honestly, yes, because it was an ACA, but this new stone has an amazing Arrows pattern and sparkles like crazy. Very similar to my old stone, just bigger.

Also, I have been wearing this stone now for the past few days and I have gotten a lot of compliments, whereas the other one, I never got any, maybe once or twice in the almost 5 years I had that stone.

The only thing I do regret is that the stone I am trading in is more valuable now than what I paid for it, and I kind of feel like a fool for trading in a more valuable stone for a less valuable stone just to get a small increase size wise.

Had I known prices would have increased the way they have, I would have either traded in a few years ago or just gotten the larger size but lower color/clarity stone to begin with.
2.gif

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to upgrade, lol, lack of money changed my mind
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results