shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to Learn to Sew :)

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Now that my ring design project is coming to an end, I need a new creative outlet =)2 I love fashion and have looked into a sewing course that happens to start soon.

Does anyone else sew, have a sewing machine, etc? I need to buy my own machine before the course, any recommendations?

Would love to read what you make, how long you've been doing it and tips to get me started =)2

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m currently spending a lot of time at my father’s house, where I’m sewing on ann12-year old Singer Quantum thatvused to belong to my mother. I am really impressed with this machine! It’s easy to thread and it has a self-adjusting tension that I won’t even try to understand, but it works. I’m working on fairly simple (OK, really simple) projects right now so I haven’t put it to the test with heavy-duty sewing, but I’m liking what I’m seeing so far.

I use an older Bernina at home. It’s more adjustable in some ways but the Singer really stands out for easy, trouble-free use. On the other hand, I really like the feet available for the Bernina, and they’re generally easier to swap out than those on the Singer. A new Bernina also cost probably 3X or more what you’d pay for a new Singer.

BTW I have noticed that there tend to be a lot of used sewing machines available on Craigslist etc, and even in thrift shops.

You might want to sit through a sales pitch or two or three to get an idea of what features are available - and to start to get an idea of what you really want and need in a machine.

ETA as to what I’m making now... it’s a bunch of very utilitarian projects that are easy to do in small bits of time. I made a set of placemats to sort of go with a new tablecloth I bought for this house. I finished four two-sided flannel baby blankets; getting ready for an onslaught of new babies that will be hitting my BF’s family in the next few months. This evening’s project was to remove the cuffs from the too-long sleeves on a flannel shirt my father received as a gift and baste them about 2 inches higher. Hardly glamorous high-fashion stuff! But even working on these simple projects gets the creative juices flowing, and makes me want to try my hand at more complex things again!

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom taught me how to sew so I've sewed pretty much all my life. I dont make clothes anymore. Probably stopped 25 years ago. What I found is
that fabric and patterns have gotten too expensive to make it worthwhile. There were many times I sewed something and even though I did it by the book
it was just ill-fitting and I would never wear it (waste of time and money). It really takes a long time to get where you are good at making clothes and having
them turn out well. If you stick to simple skirts, in the beginning, you might be fine. Good luck!

What I do do with my sewing skills...
-tailor clothes- hem pants, take things up, shrink waist bands, etc.
-repair work
-make things for around the house...pillows, curtains, window treatments
-reupholstered furniture - dining room chairs, ottoman
-American Girl doll clothes when my DD was younger
-DD makes cat toys with cat nip

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @LetLoveRule, My dh taught himself how to sew through youtube. No one recommendation on who/what to watch but just that there are a lot of helpful videos to help you learn how to sew. There are also videos specific to the HD 3000 that if you get that machine you should watch first. More on that below.

The number one thing is to avoid buying a cheap sewing maching because you will end up buying more than one when you realize the cheaper one isn't any good.

The first one my dh bought (about 5 years ago) was the Janome HD (heavy duty) 3000 and he still loves it. The HD sews through denim and thick leather that you cannot do with less expensive machines. He bought a cheap Singer machine as an extra sewing machine for the beach and he hated it and ended up throwing it out after it kept breaking and he kept fixing it and he was just wasting too much time fixing it instead of sewing.

He then bought another sewing machine for the beach house that he also really likes. The Brother Computerized Sewing Machine XR9550PRW. It has some great features. Automatic threading, more stitches, a slow feed feature (no clue what that means he is telling me right now haha) but he doesn't know if it can sew through heavy duty materials since he has not yet tried using it for that. He also has only had this one for 4 months so cannot yet speak to its longevity. It had good reviews and was a bit less expensive than the Janome he has in NY.

My dh enjoys sewing and like you is doing it for another creative outlet. He got frustrated taking his clothes out to get altered and he enjoys doing it himself and he alters all my clothes too which is a huge help. He also has sewn curtains at our beach house which are beautiful. But mainly at this point in time he alters our clothing and our cycling wear. He is now embarking on a new woodworking adventure so less time for sewing for now.

One of his first projects was altering a leather coat for me and he did an amazing job. One day he will make me a dress but we have not had any spare time for that yet. But soon! This past summer he sewed an SPF canopy for our tandem bicycle to protect me from the sun UV rays. He made two different versions and I love them.

He sewed the sun canopy on the bad machine- the one you should not buy.

gregsewing.jpg

gregsewing.jpeg

suncanopybygreg.jpeg

Hope you find lots of satisfaction and enjoyment from your new hobby and please share lots of photos. Enjoy!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that my ring design project is coming to an end, I need a new creative outlet =)2 I love fashion and have looked into a sewing course that happens to start soon.

Does anyone else sew, have a sewing machine, etc? I need to buy my own machine before the course, any recommendations?

Would love to read what you make, how long you've been doing it and tips to get me started =)2
I've been sewing since I was a child having been brought up in a household where all the women sewed. Then I went to college to study fashion design. I have since changed careers but still sew whenever I can (which isn't often). I still love it and find it so relaxing and fun to come up with unique clothing items to wear or decorative items for my house (or repair clothes that need it)!

I bought a Viking sewing machine and Pfaff overlock machine back in 1988 and both are still going strong!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to say my dh also has an expensive Babylock Serger sewing machine but he has not yet used it so cannot evaluate it yet. My mother's neighbor who sewed professionally sold it to him but he has not yet gotten to use it but when he does I will add his thoughts here if you like.

@Starfacet that is sweet that they are still going strong since 1988!

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I’m currently spending a lot of time at my father’s house, where I’m sewing on ann12-year old Singer Quantum thatvused to belong to my mother. I am really impressed with this machine! It’s easy to thread and it has a self-adjusting tension that I won’t even try to understand, but it works. I’m working on fairly simple (OK, really simple) projects right now so I haven’t put it to the test with heavy-duty sewing, but I’m liking what I’m seeing so far.

I use an older Bernina at home. It’s more adjustable in some ways but the Singer really stands out for easy, trouble-free use. On the other hand, I really like the feet available for the Bernina, and they’re generally easier to swap out than those on the Singer. A new Bernina also cost probably 3X or more what you’d pay for a new Singer.

BTW I have noticed that there tend to be a lot of used sewing machines available on Craigslist etc, and even in thrift shops.

You might want to sit through a sales pitch or two or three to get an idea of what features are available - and to start to get an idea of what you really want and need in a machine.

ETA as to what I’m making now... it’s a bunch of very utilitarian projects that are easy to do in small bits of time. I made a set of placemats to sort of go with a new tablecloth I bought for this house. I finished four two-sided flannel baby blankets; getting ready for an onslaught of new babies that will be hitting my BF’s family in the next few months. This evening’s project was to remove the cuffs from the too-long sleeves on a flannel shirt my father received as a gift and baste them about 2 inches higher. Hardly glamorous high-fashion stuff! But even working on these simple projects gets the creative juices flowing, and makes me want to try my hand at more complex things again!

Thanks for sharing! I feel like I have to start somewhere and just being able to alter my clothes that I don't wear currently would just be great =)2

I had a look last night and the first advice that I came across is to not buy a new machine straight away but find one on Gumtree (I'm in Australia) and try it first so you know what you (don't) like and even if you like sewing to start with. I have to say it's tempting to buy one now but I'll try not to.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
My mom taught me how to sew so I've sewed pretty much all my life. I dont make clothes anymore. Probably stopped 25 years ago. What I found is
that fabric and patterns have gotten too expensive to make it worthwhile. There were many times I sewed something and even though I did it by the book
it was just ill-fitting and I would never wear it (waste of time and money). It really takes a long time to get where you are good at making clothes and having
them turn out well. If you stick to simple skirts, in the beginning, you might be fine. Good luck!

What I do do with my sewing skills...
-tailor clothes- hem pants, take things up, shrink waist bands, etc.
-repair work
-make things for around the house...pillows, curtains, window treatments
-reupholstered furniture - dining room chairs, ottoman
-American Girl doll clothes when my DD was younger
-DD makes cat toys with cat nip

Thanks =)2 unfortunately I never really learned, except for hemming jeans when I worked in retail years ago. I haven't done anything since then so I'm definitely going to have to learn and practise a lot. Although it would be wonderful to be able to make cute dresses, I'll start with something easy like cushion covers and circle skirts. Just the thought of making my own skirt makes me excited =)2

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I sew, but not with a machine. I tend to make a couple of things to wear each year. There is a tweed jacket hanging half-done now.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Hi @LetLoveRule, My dh taught himself how to sew through youtube. No one recommendation on who/what to watch but just that there are a lot of helpful videos to help you learn how to sew. There are also videos specific to the HD 3000 that if you get that machine you should watch first. More on that below.

The number one thing is to avoid buying a cheap sewing maching because you will end up buying more than one when you realize the cheaper one isn't any good.

The first one my dh bought (about 5 years ago) was the Janome HD (heavy duty) 3000 and he still loves it. The HD sews through denim and thick leather that you cannot do with less expensive machines. He bought a cheap Singer machine as an extra sewing machine for the beach and he hated it and ended up throwing it out after it kept breaking and he kept fixing it and he was just wasting too much time fixing it instead of sewing.

He then bought another sewing machine for the beach house that he also really likes. The Brother Computerized Sewing Machine XR9550PRW. It has some great features. Automatic threading, more stitches, a slow feed feature (no clue what that means he is telling me right now haha) but he doesn't know if it can sew through heavy duty materials since he has not yet tried using it for that. He also has only had this one for 4 months so cannot yet speak to its longevity. It had good reviews and was a bit less expensive than the Janome he has in NY.

My dh enjoys sewing and like you is doing it for another creative outlet. He got frustrated taking his clothes out to get altered and he enjoys doing it himself and he alters all my clothes too which is a huge help. He also has sewn curtains at our beach house which are beautiful. But mainly at this point in time he alters our clothing and our cycling wear. He is now embarking on a new woodworking adventure so less time for sewing for now.

One of his first projects was altering a leather coat for me and he did an amazing job. One day he will make me a dress but we have not had any spare time for that yet. But soon! This past summer he sewed an SPF canopy for our tandem bicycle to protect me from the sun UV rays. He made two different versions and I love them.

He sewed the sun canopy on the bad machine- the one you should not buy.

gregsewing.jpg

gregsewing.jpeg

suncanopybygreg.jpeg

Hope you find lots of satisfaction and enjoyment from your new hobby and please share lots of photos. Enjoy!

Hi @missy =)2 always love your input and stories. I have thought about just starting watching tutorials on YouTube and learn as I go but I like the idea of doing a course since it's been a while since I've done any and my partner has always encouraged me to do so. Plus there's one starting next week, so I just thought it's meant to be :mrgreen2:

I'm torn, on one hand I'm tempted to buy a cheap Singer because they're half price atm and do I really need 60 different stitches? On the other hand I should maybe not buy anything and try it first. And then there's obviously the other option to just go all out and buy a good machine now.. I'll have to look into it more.

One of the Singer machines I saw is similar to the one your DH doesn't like. It's computerised and has 60 stitches. I'm not sure if it can do semi heavy duty like denim but it's not as basic as some other machines that only come with 12 stitches.

The other thing is buttonholes. Most basic machines have 4 step, computerised ones have 1 step. I'm not too concerned about the amount of different stitches but one step buttonholes would be really easy.

I'll probably spend my Saturday watching YouTube videos and looking for a machine on Gumtree and hopefully make a decision.

I really need a creative outlet, I have too many thoughts and too much energy now that work has been slow for a few days and I've been thinking about this for a while. Can't wait to try something new and I'm so happy my partner supports me :kiss2: I really should listen to him more.. :whistle:

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I've been sewing since I was a child having been brought up in a household where all the women sewed. Then I went to college to study fashion design. I have since changed careers but still sew whenever I can (which isn't often). I still love it and find it so relaxing and fun to come up with unique clothing items to wear or decorative items for my house (or repair clothes that need it)!

I bought a Viking sewing machine and Pfaff overlock machine back in 1988 and both are still going strong!!

That's so great, fashion design! I studied fashion styling because that's more my strong suit but I would love to be able to make own clothes. Just altering and simple circle skirts have me excited now =)2

What kind of machine is your Viking?

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I sew, but not with a machine. I tend to make a couple of things to wear each year. There is a tweed jacket hanging half-done now.

That's amazing =)2 I've fixed some clothes by hand but can't imagine making clothing fully handmade. Is there a reason you don't use a machine?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
... can't imagine making clothing fully handmade. Is there a reason you don't use a machine?

Almost nobody does it, for sure, yet - I have seen one men's taylor advertising the possibility as a technical stunt! (Pisa, Italy - can't remember the shop). I did not wish to know what they'd charge, but would have taken lessons ...

No real reason for doing things this way. It is fun to carry a workshop-worth of gear in a pocket. It does not slow things down as much as distraction does ,) I find that cutting takes thinking - stitching is the Zen part. Once upon a time I learned traditional embroidery - which I loved to do & found too useless to put any time into...

I have started with alterations too ... - (even true apprentices do, I hear). Seeing a taylor cutting a sheath dress out of a square of cloth pegged to my back in 30s flat, got me bold! First there were skirts, then dresses, then soft cardigan jackets - over some years... This is the first somewhat taylored jacket - they are by far the hardest thing to make.

The greatest help with this came from having a great fabrics shop selling couture overstock next to the bakery I'd go to every day; I bought too much - so that now that once they closed I have never looked for another source (hoping they exist); I am short on winter fabrics, however. Tweed came from a friend & there seem to be many sources online. It is surprisingly easy to work & fit.

I am not sure how much I can help with anything, since I sort of discovered how to do things on my own & might be less than OK. Ask anything!

Last edited:

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's so great, fashion design! I studied fashion styling because that's more my strong suit but I would love to be able to make own clothes. Just altering and simple circle skirts have me excited now =)2

What kind of machine is your Viking?
Just a regular old straight stitch machine. It does make buttonholes and does some embroidery stitching, but I only use the buttonhole function.

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
Sewing is a WONDERFUL hobby and such a useful skill to have. I have sewn off and on since junior high. Girls were required to sew their 8th grade graduation dress where I lived, kind of a final project for the sewing class we were all required to take. Over the years I have had many different interests besides clothing for myself; smocking and French hand sewing for my daughter, matching outfits for my children, home decorating, Halloween costumes, etc.

I got on a big kick sewing skirts for work the last year. I took a skirt pattern making class on Craftsy and got really inspired. I love having clothes that fit perfectly.

https://www.craftsy.com/sewing

They have tons of on-line classes that are fabulous and at all levels. They are not free but really well done and I highly recommend them.

Have fun!

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Almost nobody does it, for sure, yet - I have seen one men's taylor advertising the possibility as a technical stunt! (Pisa, Italy - can't remember the shop). I did not wish to know what they'd charge, but would have taken lessons ...

No real reason for doing things this way. It is fun to carry a workshop-worth of gear in a pocket. It does not slow things down as much as distraction does ,) I find that cutting takes thinking - stitching is the Zen part. Once upon a time I learned traditional embroidery - which I loved to do & found too useless to put any time into...

I have started with alterations too ... - (even true apprentices do, I hear). Seeing a taylor cutting a sheath dress out of a square of cloth pegged to my back in 30s flat, got me bold! First there were skirts, then dresses, then soft cardigan jackets - over some years... This is the first somewhat taylored jacket - they are by far the hardest thing to make.

The greatest help with this came from having a great fabrics shop selling couture overstock next to the bakery I'd go to every day; I bought too much - so that now that once they closed I have never looked for another source (hoping they exist); I am short on winter fabrics, however. Tweed came from a friend & there seem to be many sources online. It is surprisingly easy to work & fit.

I am not sure how much I can help with anything, since I sort of discovered how to do things on my own & might be less than OK. Ask anything!

Wow I admire that you're able to do it by hand, good on you ;)2

Thank you, I'm sure I'll have heaps of questions! I just need to start somewhere really. Watching YouTube tutorials and booking in the course have me all excited. Plus looking at my wardrobe this morning, seeing beatiful maxi dresses that are too long and therefore have never been worn. The thought of being able to do such little alterations, plus it's 30+ degrees for the first time this summer today. I can't wait! :mrgreen2:

Oh and that my engagement ring will be finished next week :appl:

Reactions: AV_

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Sewing is a WONDERFUL hobby and such a useful skill to have. I have sewn off and on since junior high. Girls were required to sew their 8th grade graduation dress where I lived, kind of a final project for the sewing class we were all required to take. Over the years I have had many different interests besides clothing for myself; smocking and French hand sewing for my daughter, matching outfits for my children, home decorating, Halloween costumes, etc.

I got on a big kick sewing skirts for work the last year. I took a skirt pattern making class on Craftsy and got really inspired. I love having clothes that fit perfectly.

https://www.craftsy.com/sewing

They have tons of on-line classes that are fabulous and at all levels. They are not free but really well done and I highly recommend them.

Have fun!

I agree! I wish I had learned properly earlier too and now just hope I'm any good at it :lol:

I'll check out the site, thanks =)2 I'm focusing on finding a machine and getting the essentials to get me started.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would like to learn, but I find it very intimidating. I probably would not do much with it, but it is nice to be able to make alterations without all the trouble of finding and paying a seamstress.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OMG! What a fun thread...ok, I haven't read everything (I'll go back, I promise), just wanted to add my $0.02 ;-)

For just starting out, I say go with a vintage machine! Ok, I *may* be a bit biased, but the older machines are awesome! Yes, they can be loud, but I sew the majority of my clothing (read: everything except bras and socks) on a machine that was made in 1953. I wear knits (what most clothes are made of). :D I love my vintage machines!

I would also say to join some FB groups, there are TONS of FREE patterns out there, and it helps to have others to ask questions. I learned how to use a machine when I was in my late teens, but didn't really get into it until after my kids were older. I like making my own clothes because I loathe clothes shopping because nothing ever fits right.

With vintage machines, I say go for 1950s era Singers are awesome (401a, 403a, are both good and have lots of cams to do special stitches). But so are Kenmores (love my 1040) and Elnas (Supermatic is so cool, but mine has the "flat tire" issue). For sure look for metal machines. I would look at thrift stores, FB marketplace, and Craigslist (or the Australian counterpart).

Another plug for joining FB groups (which I'm part of several pattern makers, fabric groups, and those who love all different vintage machines) is the free advice and knowledge people will share. Just like here on PS, we love our hobbies and will go on FOREVER talking about them to anyone who asks. :D Here's a picture of my machines. Included in this picture is the 201k that I gave to my dad. The one I just sold (Janome DC1050 modern princess :razz: ) is not included as she didn't get the love. OH, and my 401a isn't here either, she may be the next to go (is picky about knits). :) 20170320_093808-COLLAGE.jpg And some fun things I've made with the machine in the cabinet:
23593725_10159774150355085_1485122237255475390_o.jpg 20024033_10159180137490085_497384563294188282_o.jpg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Going with a vintage machine with all-metal gears and no electronics is good advice. Especially if you want to sew heavy fabrics or leather.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve been sewing since I was a kid, my machine is a 1980s Kenmore. I recently brought it in for a tuneup and the guy said the old machines are better than anything out there now. I think taking a class is a great idea, if they have machines there I would try them first, that might help you figure out the language when you’re looking to buy, then I would buy in the used market. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On buying NEW machines: Unfortunately, new singers just aren't that great. The company was sold years ago and the quality is :razz: If you have your heart set on a new machine I'd go Janome or Bernina, but those are PRICEY!

wildcatz

Rough_Rock
I am sewing on a 1982 Bernina 1230 and hope it lasts me the rest of my life. It is very heavy as it is all metal. It is a wonderful machine. The new machines are all plastic inside. I also have a vintage Singer 301 which is only a straight stitch machine and lighter but still all metal. It has a gorgeous stitch. But for your first machine, I would get one that also does a zig-zag stitch. An older, used machine can be a great buy, I would suggest looking for one on Craig's list and also calling independent places that repair sewing machines to look for one.

But an inexpensive new one will also meet your needs - you can always upgrade later if you get the sewing bug.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
I can't sew worth a damn. My mom can't either. I think it's genetic. My daughter can, but I think she takes after my MIL.
Whenever I go into a fabric store, I really wish that I had the talent.
I can shop well, and pick out some gorgeous clothes, so all is not lost!

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
I would like to learn, but I find it very intimidating. I probably would not do much with it, but it is nice to be able to make alterations without all the trouble of finding and paying a seamstress.

Have you decided on a machine yet? I've been advised not to go with a Singer so I'm looking at Janome and Brother.

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
OMG! What a fun thread...ok, I haven't read everything (I'll go back, I promise), just wanted to add my $0.02 ;-)

For just starting out, I say go with a vintage machine! Ok, I *may* be a bit biased, but the older machines are awesome! Yes, they can be loud, but I sew the majority of my clothing (read: everything except bras and socks) on a machine that was made in 1953. I wear knits (what most clothes are made of). :D I love my vintage machines!

I would also say to join some FB groups, there are TONS of FREE patterns out there, and it helps to have others to ask questions. I learned how to use a machine when I was in my late teens, but didn't really get into it until after my kids were older. I like making my own clothes because I loathe clothes shopping because nothing ever fits right.

With vintage machines, I say go for 1950s era Singers are awesome (401a, 403a, are both good and have lots of cams to do special stitches). But so are Kenmores (love my 1040) and Elnas (Supermatic is so cool, but mine has the "flat tire" issue). For sure look for metal machines. I would look at thrift stores, FB marketplace, and Craigslist (or the Australian counterpart).

Another plug for joining FB groups (which I'm part of several pattern makers, fabric groups, and those who love all different vintage machines) is the free advice and knowledge people will share. Just like here on PS, we love our hobbies and will go on FOREVER talking about them to anyone who asks. :D Here's a picture of my machines. Included in this picture is the 201k that I gave to my dad. The one I just sold (Janome DC1050 modern princess :razz: ) is not included as she didn't get the love. OH, and my 401a isn't here either, she may be the next to go (is picky about knits). :) 20170320_093808-COLLAGE.jpg And some fun things I've made with the machine in the cabinet:
23593725_10159774150355085_1485122237255475390_o.jpg 20024033_10159180137490085_497384563294188282_o.jpg

Wow! You have great taste in machines =)2

I have joined a sewing forum, they're helping me find a machine and I've been to a few stores. I'll go to another one tomorrow and make a decision as the class starts this week and I need a machine by then. I'm leaning towards the Janome 2150, it's computerised and the demo in store made it look like a great choice for a newbie like me. When I get more experienced, I might look into some other machines.

I'm sure I'll have heaps of questions later and hope you don't mind me asking =)2

LetLoveRule

Shiny_Rock
Going with a vintage machine with all-metal gears and no electronics is good advice. Especially if you want to sew heavy fabrics or leather.

I think I'll start with an entry model for now and work my way up to some heavier machines for heavier fabrics. I'm focusing on simple clothes, cushion covers, alterations, etc for now.

Do you sew?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results