shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to copy Meghan Markle’s pearls!

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
08803D56-3D9A-4D75-A2CA-25C8BE6FB60C.jpeg 906868D4-0034-431F-874E-883EE1E3EA50.jpeg

i have 2 small diamonds that’d I’d like to set in bezels and drop pearls from. What I’m going for is a set like the gift the Queen just gave to MM. can anyone help me figure out where to get the right kind of pearls to make this project successful? I’m posting a pic of my 2 diamonds. One almost .25ct and the other slightly more than .25ct. Looks like MM has sizable pearls hanging from bezel studs.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those actually look like moderately sized akoya to me. Maybe 8 - 8.5 mm. You could also go with freshwater pearls if you want to be a bit more budget conscious (you'd get a very similar look, depending on what you want to wear them with).

I'd contact Pearl Paradise, Pure Pearls, or Pearls of Joy (all of which do custom work and would sell you the loose pearls to go with your earrings) to get a quote. Not sure that the diamonds are bezeled though. They look like a pretty traditional 4 prong setting to me (at least from the side).

Frumasring

Shiny_Rock
E7F72407-203B-49A1-917B-002975CFD866.jpeg

Those actually look like moderately sized akoya to me. Maybe 8 - 8.5 mm. You could also go with freshwater pearls if you want to be a bit more budget conscious (you'd get a very similar look, depending on what you want to wear them with).

I'd contact Pearl Paradise, Pure Pearls, or Pearls of Joy (all of which do custom work and would sell you the loose pearls to go with your earrings) to get a quote. Not sure that the diamonds are bezeled though. They look like a pretty traditional 4 prong setting to me (at least from the side).

You’re right! Not bezel set. Attached is a better picture.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems that Meghan's earrings are a gift from the Queen and are similar to earrings that the Queen often wears (and also similar to earrings that Queen Mary wore). The diamonds look to be prong set rather than bezelled.

https://www.etonline.com/meghan-mar...-elizabeth-ahead-of-their-royal-outing-104200
http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/thread/1472942651.html
https://www.historicroyalpalaces.co...-studs-queenmary-swarovskicrystal-silver.html

Akoyas or Freshadamas from PP might be a nice choice. If you want to splurge... maybe white South Sea pearls?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a thought, what about having the diamonds set, and having the pearls with a small loop that the posts of the diamond studs could go through? They can then be worn together, or just the diamond studs, or the pearl drops with other studs.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What is meant by "British freshwater please? TIA.

DK :))

Probably Scottish river pearls. First time heard of this in the Outlander series.
They are beautiful, rare, valuable and now protected (the mussels).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably Scottish river pearls. First time heard of this in the Outlander series.
They are beautiful, rare, valuable and now protected (the mussels).

That's what I thought, however I did not realise there mussels are able to produce what appears to be reasonably big, round pearls with good lustre such as those in the pics.

However I could be wrong as I am not in the trade or an expert.

DK :))

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no idea, but they seem smaller than 8mm, more like 7mm.
Anyway, they're nice and classy.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Freshwater pearls come from all over the UK. The locations are kept secret to protect the stocks and they can only be sold by the holders of a licence. It is one civil servant's job to protect them all. Some are in rivers and some are in more pond like habitats
The rarest and finest of them are round. Look at portraits of Queen Elizabeth 1 Round pearls have always been reserved to the monarch
our one-time plentiful stocks of pearls were a main reason why the Romans invaded. They loved pearls.
Our present queen probably has quite a stash
http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/ProtectedSites/SACselection/species.asp?FeatureIntCode=s1029

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freshwater pearls come from all over the UK. The locations are kept secret to protect the stocks and they can only be sold by the holders of a licence. It is one civil servant's job to protect them all. Some are in rivers and some are in more pond like habitats
The rarest and finest of them are round. Look at portraits of Queen Elizabeth 1 Round pearls have always been reserved to the monarch
our one-time plentiful stocks of pearls were a main reason why the Romans invaded. They loved pearls.
Our present queen probably has quite a stash
http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/ProtectedSites/SACselection/species.asp?FeatureIntCode=s1029

In some old European and Russian museums, one can see embroidery with tiny river pearls. I wonder if these pearls were more widespread in 17th century and harvested locally in European countries other than Britain. Seems so from all stories. One may also wonder how climate changes and river pollution might have affected European pearls.

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Absolutely. Freshwater river pearls were much more common before we started throwing all our waste into our rivers. They may well return as EU law cleans up rivers - fish certainly are returning.
I've seen stupendous pearls adorning Chinese Emperor's and court clothes too, along with the most remarkable embroidery and embellishments. Only the Emperor could have a round pearl atop his cap/crown

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree that they are not large and are in the 7-8mm range. It's not an uncommon finding :

I saw some fittings at Stuller... I'd posted the link but wasn't sure that was ok. Just look at the earring findings, pearl section.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results