shape
carat
color
clarity

Want some feedback on the ring I bought...

5551212JS

Rough_Rock
About to propose any day soon!

Been holding on to this for the right moment..

What do you think though? Hard to take pics of rings I realized but here are some of the better photos.

Stats are: 1ct, Color: G, Clarity: VVS2, GIA Ideal Cut, Triple Excellent L/W Ratio: 1 Table% 61.4 Depth %: 57%

I’m geeky when it comes to technical things so I spent lots of time looking for the right stats. Also ranked well on the GIA Facetware and HCA Cut Calculators.

Her ring size is small 3.75 (despite being a tall gal) and I put it on a 4 prong platinum based on BN’s suggestion. Last night we went out with friends and on observation her friend may have a higher ct diamond but it doesn’t put on the “lightshow” as the the one I chose. Got me to thinking I should have gone higher ct. but maybe sacrificing some of the stats. Ladies would you prefer a higher ct. and less favorable stats like cut? Yes, I'm second guessing my selection in a way...

Not sure how to upload photos and get the text in so here are links: https://imgur.com/kwVhxZvhttps://imgur.com/kwVhxZv https://imgur.com/qH5lPYL

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cut is everything.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am hoping you reversed the table and depth measurements above! If you did and the HCA was good, it sounds like you did well! I'd never sacrifice cut. A one carat stone will look very nice on a size 3.75 finger. The only thing you could do is go down to H VS2 to gain more size. But I'd wait until after you propose and just ask her if she wants lower color and clarity to gain size if you are within your return period.

Here are your pictures:
qH5lPYL.jpg

kwVhxZv.jpg

5551212JS

Rough_Rock
Hi you are right, the table and depth figures I mis-posted. They should be reversed and as follows: table 57% depth 61.4% and 35% crown angle with 40.8% pavilion angle. I went with this diamond because the GIA showed only one flaw which was a needle that was barely legible on the document. I saw many diamonds larger and at this size but they all had multiple kinds of flaws. Also in going up in ct and trying to keep the stats the same the price was beyond my budget.
The Holloway scores are:
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.6 Excellent within TIC range (whatever TIC range is?)
On GIA Facetware, my GIA grade was EX

I would not have ever gone through this trouble with the stats had I not come across this site and thankfully I did. Also consulted various diamond buying guides which were also enormously helpful.

I'm still torn with whether I should go larger but how nice it looks in person holds me back. Your suggestion is very helpful and I'm very close to the return period ending.

Last edited:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Multiple inclusions aren’t necessarily worse than a single inclusion, you really need to take it stone by stone. If you think you should go bigger I would consider that now! Good luck!

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TIC = Tolkowsky Ideal Cut.

ratatat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Looks good, well done

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a great pick! Happy engagement! Please come back with more pics after the proposal =)2

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a gorgeous stone...

Answering your question...I would drop the clarity(a lot) and color slightly and go bigger. I would NOT sacrifice cut.

What you have looks gorgeous and will probably looks huge on her petite finger! If you are second guessing
yourself, see how much bigger you can go in your budget. We have a tool that can show size difference so come back here and post the new stone so we can show you the difference in size with the one you have.

jadesilver

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would definitely go larger without sacrificing cut if I were you, drop clarity and maybe color but what you have looks great! Even SI1-2 diamonds can be eye clean. Coming from someone who deeply regrets not getting the biggest size I could get for my e-ring.

5551212JS

Rough_Rock
thanks but I cringe at the thought of going to S11-2 via online. I think that has to be inspected in person and to give up what I have could be a disaster. You have to look at many of them in person IMO and I'm not in a situation where I want to risk getting something worse or ordering several online. Would rather pay more for same specs or only 1 notch lower. Even 1 notch lower I'm seeing reports of inclusions like surface graining which also bothers me.

I'm beginning to think keep it as is. My local jeweler said I had a good rock and was impressed when I brought it in to have the GIA inscription checked. If more bling is desired then a wedding band with lots of diamonds may be the way to go. I do know she's gonna get the ring with the most flash among her friends. The one's I have seen were yellowish or dark under even bright lights even if they are slightly bigger. Just didn't impress me and I have a hard time paying for something like that and hunting for it like I'm at a swap meet but having to do it online and by mail order.

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it is beautiful. I'm sure she will be delighted and even more so when she knows how carefully you have considered all aspects in order to get her the best stone you could. 1 carat is a magic number which to many people, i.e. not Pricescopers, is considered large. It is classic and elegant. Well done!
:appl:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd keep the color as is, drop the clarity to VS2 (it would be a very clean diamond), drop the table percentage (I prefer a smaller table - 55/56%) and try to get up to around 1.15ct. I think 1ct on a 3.75 sized finger is nice, and 1.15ct is nicer; remember as the years go by, the finger will get larger, the diamond won't.

I'd also have it set by someone who can shave those prongs or make them tiny claws; I've probably done as much or more business with Blue Nile as anyone on these boards, and I can tell you for sure that their prong work is not good. It's rarely completely symmetrical and it's always heavier than it would be if set by a jeweler with skill in prong/claw work.

VVS2 is overkill and it's affected your size options. I also prefer a shorter LGF (lower girdle facet) - around 75% - it makes the arrows a little broader and ergo the pattern a tad more obvious. I also prefer the way it reflects light. I can't tell from your two photos what your LGF is, but I know most BN stones tend to have an 80% LGF.

So for me, not the stone I would have chosen, but still a very nice stone. Not loving the setting tho for reasons as stated above, plus the band seems a little chunky for the size of the stone. I think you could find something more elegant.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having had several diamonds by now (.79, 1.0, 1.7 and now 2.937 carats), I can tell you that diamonds look smaller just about overnight. If I were in charge of your purchase (ha!), I'd keep cut ideal and would drop to VS2 clarity and I color and go as big as I could with the budget.

That said, the ring you chose is beautiful. It sounds like you're happy with it, so that's all that matters. I'm sure she will be over the moon! How do you plan to propose?

5551212JS

Rough_Rock
Thanks, the LGF for the diamond is 75%. On the band, I chose the narrowest as possible given the small ring size and to make the focus on the diamond. Was also the most popular choice on BN but I get what you mean about elegance. Tried to keep it simple as once you get into style its gets into preferences. I'm probably not gonna be able to do any exchanging due to intense time commitments on everything else I have going on. I did the best I could as a "rookie" at this and I think better than most people who had not had the time to really use this board's resources. I wish I had more time pre-purchase. Most of my reliance was on a book I read. I think I have a really good diamond. Not you folks as you are seasoned with this, but I'm sure some layperson idiot who knows only cts will discount the 4 Cs and beyond of the rock versus theirs. I just see a lot of cloudy non white/clear diamonds around that don't reflect any light like this one. Noticed it again the other day at the dinner table with a group of friends.

Ha ha regarding the proposal, not sure of venue yet. We both know is coming so I sort of delayed it to make it as much of a surprise as I can. Our meeting anniversary is coming up next month but I don't want to delay it that long.

OF course she will decide but would love to hear/see any ideas you folks have for a wedding band to compliment this ring. I was thinking of a petite pave diamond curved one.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
To me, you have to strike the right balance of what YOU want. I am in the process of upgrading my stone and I wanted big, but I am color sensitive and with regards to inclusions, it's harder to find a bigger eye clean stone. I also didn't want any black crystals. That was important to me.

I found a stone that was smaller than I originally wanted and while it is an excellent cut, it's not ideal. I honestly don't think my eye is keen enough to tell the difference. The cost of an ideal cut for my stone would have been significantly higher.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, the LGF for the diamond is 75%. On the band, I chose the narrowest as possible given the small ring size and to make the focus on the diamond. Was also the most popular choice on BN but I get what you mean about elegance. Tried to keep it simple as once you get into style its gets into preferences. I'm probably not gonna be able to do any exchanging due to intense time commitments on everything else I have going on. I did the best I could as a "rookie" at this and I think better than most people who had not had the time to really use this board's resources. I wish I had more time pre-purchase. Most of my reliance was on a book I read. I think I have a really good diamond. Not you folks as you are seasoned with this, but I'm sure some layperson idiot who knows only cts will discount the 4 Cs and beyond of the rock versus theirs. I just see a lot of cloudy non white/clear diamonds around that don't reflect any light like this one. Noticed it again the other day at the dinner table with a group of friends.

Ha ha regarding the proposal, not sure of venue yet. We both know is coming so I sort of delayed it to make it as much of a surprise as I can. Our meeting anniversary is coming up next month but I don't want to delay it that long.

OF course she will decide but would love to hear/see any ideas you folks have for a wedding band to compliment this ring. I was thinking of a petite pave diamond curved one.

I think this is the perfect attitude, and I totally agree that the diamond you bought will be far and away better than most of the stones one regularly sees.

Re the setting, I'd give her the option to change it up if she wanted; that way she can keep the setting if it works for her, just tweak the prongs to make them daintier, or she can start again without having broken the bank.

As for wedding rings - I'd do a slim band of diamonds to underline her lovely engagement stone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This could be a 7 mm 1.3 - 1.4 cts I/VS ... Not sure the slight difference is worth doing, especially if there will updates.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results