shape
carat
color
clarity

VS2 and F color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DoctorZ

Rough_Rock
Assuming that they are correctly graded, and assuming all other factors being equal,

are the inclusions of a VS2 visible to the naked eye?

is F noticeably worse than D ?

what about once the stone is set?

NewlyEngaged

Shiny_Rock
In my own opinion, VS2 is clean to the naked eye unless you have one of those rare eyes that can pick up stuff it really shouldn't.

F versus D, I had a G next to an E and I was able to pick out the difference. My jeweler really couldn't he said. However, that was loose stones, side by side on white paper. My understanding is that in general, unless someone has a really trained eye, likelihood is that it is not noticeable to the naked eye.

From what I've been learning and have learned... Spend the money on an excellent cut, F or G with VS2 or VS1 and the diamond will be great. Excellent polish, and the whole 9... My understanding is that is where the money can make a huge difference. Curious to see what others say.
1.gif

Good luck.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Assuming that they are properly graded, etc......yes, the VS2 should be eyeclean unset. Set, there's even more potential for a stone to be "eye-clean" because any small inclusion near the edge can be hidden under a prong.

No, there is no noticeable difference between a D and an F......obviously there is a slight difference to the extremely trained eye when place face down on white paper, but otherwise, NO.

Once they are set..... I'd take the Pepsi challenge all day long that one cannot see a difference between them! The F is a MUCH better value while still being "colorless". In face, I'd say that a G or H is an even better value and STILL undiscernable to the eye. TONS and TONS of people here have bought G & H stones and they are snowy white when well-cut. There's a HUGE break price difference between an F and an H, too.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Regarding eye clean - Actually depends on the size of the stone & how you are viewing. In a large stone it is not unusual to see an inclusion from the bottom or side. Face up *should* but not alway eye clean in a VS2. In a stone around 1c or smaller, the stone should be eye clean. If not, I'd pass.

Good luck. It would be redundant for me to comment on color.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think you can't go wrong with F VS. However, I have a G stone and I really love it. I would very highly recommend G as a way to save a little $$ and not go into the colorless range, but still have the stone appear white white white.

I had a guy tonite say my stone must be a VVS1 and a D. I laughed. Well he also thought it was a .80c...so maybe he was partially blind..but anyway. There wasn't alot of light in the room.

So people in general have no idea what a stone really is made of and what the numbers and quality is. Not to say that means get a K I3 or anything...but I really don't believe in buying something that your eye can't really see. When set, the D or E stone looks just like an F or G stone..and maybe even H! Who knows. It depends on your eye and how it discerns color.

We compared our G loose with an E and saw no visible difference. That really made us feel comfortable in purchasing the G...and it was VS1 instead of SI1 (which was the E). So we got an extra perk without feeling like we were giving up anything.

But if you found a stone you love and it's F VS2....you are in a good range!

1.gif
Good luck!

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
i thought that by definition vs2 was "eye-clean"

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Well, the experts will tell you that "officially" no lab calls anything eye-clean. The amount and locations of inclusions determine the grade, and so if you get a large stone, you can have a higher grade that may have eye-visible inclusions.

DoctorZ

Rough_Rock
So the inclusions might be visible in a large VS1?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
No.

Edited: Nevermind this response...Dr Z originally had asked 'Is color visible in an F vs a D when set'...then changed his Q before the 'revision' marker kicked in.
2.gif

If all else is equal in the 2 stones...you will not see a difference when set. Clarity is another matter...but I have not seen an inclusion in an VS1 stone without mag even up to 3c size from top, side or bottom. SI is more variable the larger the stones...but IMO VS is very safe for almost any type stone.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well ... I would say it depends on whether the F is either bordering on a G or bordering on an E. If bordering on a G perhaps but most people woudln't. The greatest contrast you'll see however is not so much the D vs the F but the superior cut vs the inferior cut. Many people who think they're seeing color differences actually aren't when they go into most jewelry stores. One stone may appear more darker than another and one lighter (under jewelry store strong light conditions) and they think they're observing a color difference when they are actually observing one diamond that's a leaker vs one that's not.

If the F is cut more superior than the D then go with it. If the D more than the F then go with that. Cut is king and will affect the face up beauty of the diamond waaaaay more than clarity or color ever will.

Rhino

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results