shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage settings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marmi04

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody, I''m searching for engagement rings, and have decided that I need to focus on the setting first, and then will search for the ideal diamond for it. These links represent the style of setting I''m looking for, which seem to fall under the ''vintage'' or ''antique'' categories:

http://www.antiquejewelrymall.com/r297.html

http://www.antiquejewelrymall.com/r643.html

Apologies for not being able to paste the photos.

My questions:

1) Can you identify any good dealers/sources for settings in this style?
2) Is it likely that any online vendor will be able to work with a setting like this?
3) What stone limitations should I be mindful of when buying a setting like this, i.e. carat size and shape?
4) Could a setting like this hinder the stones brilliance or fire?

Thank you to all in advance! I truly appreciate your expert opinions and advice!
Mike

antiquejewelrymall_2068_59736935.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks lik each style of ring on this site only fits the diamond size range advertised, so be very careful about what size would fit the ring design you like and get a diamond accordingly. This really limits your choices. No doubt, someone will suggest other vendors to you.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
hi!

Instead of being limited to a diamond size or shape because of an existing setting...would you consider having a vendor make a setting for you? They could make it to your specifications. I love antique looking rings so I had Whiteflash make me a setting from a few ideas and rings I loved. I took bits and pieces of rings I loved and had an antique inspired setting made. This is another option.

marmi04

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses!

Yes, I noted that this particular website has rings with relatively small stones already set. Not the way I want to go, but these at least represent the style I like.

In terms of having a custom setting made, I haven''t really considered it, with the assumption that custom settings would be significantly more expensive. Any thoughts on how much custom settings similar to these would run me, ballpark figures?

My preference would be to find a vendor with similar settings that can set a stone of about 1-1.5 carats. I''m open to other fancy shapes in additional to round.

Thanks!

kimikocat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/24/2009 3:36:28 PM
Author: marmi04
Thanks for the responses!

Yes, I noted that this particular website has rings with relatively small stones already set. Not the way I want to go, but these at least represent the style I like.

In terms of having a custom setting made, I haven''t really considered it, with the assumption that custom settings would be significantly more expensive. Any thoughts on how much custom settings similar to these would run me, ballpark figures?

My preference would be to find a vendor with similar settings that can set a stone of about 1-1.5 carats. I''m open to other fancy shapes in additional to round.

Thanks!

Custom settings are not necessary more expensive. The price for a custom setting can vary quite a bit. Before you start pricing settings, you might want to consider: Do you have a preference for the type of metal? How many smaller stones (melee or side stones) would you like to use? Would you allow the vendor to source the stones for you? Do you have strong feelings about the type of metalwork technique used to create your piece?

Keep in mind that custom settings are typically not items that you can return for a refund. Some vendors provide CAD drawings and waxes, which will help you visualize the finished piece. Others do not offer that service.

If you are not sure about a style, or if you feel uncomfortable going down the custom route, you may want to choose from an existing design. Lots of vendors have extensive catalogues of designs and you might find a design that''s perfect for you.

kimi

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I'll be honest, I don't love the look of the quality of the repro settings you linked to, though the styles are quite pretty. Could be that the pics aren't kind to them, of course. Custom isn't necessarily more expensive.

Best quality antique style repros: Van Craeynest, hands down. Expensive, yes, but absolutely the closest you can get to the quality of an actual antique. (Die struck and hand pierced, which you simply can't get anywhere else except with a genuine antique.) I got to see a few of their settings in person, and omigod they're perfect and amazingly beautiful.

Also very good- their engraving is absolutely as good as it gets: Greenlake Jewelry. (I'll definitely go with them when I reset my ring eventually.) I live near them and their stuff is incredible in person, just premium quality work, and the price is good for what they do.

Singlestone is also amazing. Never seen their work in person but it looks top notch.

Beverly K (Pearlman's carries their line) is also a good option. They're not quite premium quality antique repros like the aforementioned places, but they're very very good and quite affordable. I think they have some that are under $1K. I've seen their stuff in person and they're very well made.

You can also troll ebay and such to find an actual antique setting. I set my 1.21ct OEC in a cheap temp setting (see last option!) and then took my time finding an actual antique setting I loved for it.

I've also bought a few much lower end repros for temp settings- and they're surprisingly pretty and cheap. No sidestones, and just molded rather than hand engraved, and yeah, they look better from arms length, but for $150 to $300ish, the price is right. Jewelryrings.com / Kim Wheeling is the place I've bought those types of repros from- he also custom molds them to fit various size and shape center stones. (The links you provided look pretty similar to his stuff, IMO.)

marmi04

Rough_Rock
This is exactly the kind of info I''m looking for, thank you! I''ll spend some time going through the sites...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results