shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Marquise Diamond help needed

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have just purchased a vintage marquise diamond. The vendor states the stone has broad facets, an open culet and an unpolished girdle. The stone is a 0.69ct D color SI-1 clarity with dimensions of 9.89x4.85x2.49. It comes with a GIA certificate. I realize that it is shallow but it appears to be bright. Here is a link to the diamond video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_T6sKdP_hY . The vendor has a 30 day return policy. They have also offered to make a setting for me for an additional fee. Should I keep the marquise? If I keep it could you suggest a setting? Thank you in advance for your sharing your knowledge and any suggestions,

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
princessandthepear|1477256923|4089834 said:
I have just purchased a vintage marquise diamond. The vendor states the stone has broad facets, an open culet and an unpolished girdle. The stone is a 0.69ct D color SI-1 clarity with dimensions of 9.89x4.85x2.49. It comes with a GIA certificate. I realize that it is shallow but it appears to be bright. Here is a link to the diamond video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_T6sKdP_hY . The vendor has a 30 day return policy. They have also offered to make a setting for me for an additional fee. Should I keep the marquise? If I keep it could you suggest a setting? Thank you in advance for your sharing your knowledge and any suggestions,

You should wait till you get it before deciding. Play with it in different light situations. If you're getting plenty of sparkle and fire
out of it then keep it. If it doesn't speak to you then send it back.

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I will make a point to look at it under different lighting conditions. The diamond's shallowness really concerns me. If a diamond is very shallow does that mean that it will have a huge bowtie? Some sites on the internet have conflicting advice on depth and bowties in fancy cuts so I will wait to see how severe it really is.

t

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stone doesn't look like it has a huge bowtie or any outstandingly glaring bowtie in the video. You need to see it and evaluate if you like it or not, shallow stones may have less fire and sparkle because they are shallow cuts, but you probably won't know until you see it in person. You also need to make sure it's eye clean unless that doesn't bother you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results