shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage cuts at pawn shops

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m about to embark on my OEC search (10th anniversary ring). I love vintage styles and would love to find a vintage ring with one or more OEC''s.

I''ve found several beautiful rings online, but especially with an OEC, I''d like to see it in person before purchasing.

My area is lacking (to say the least) in vintage, OEC''s, and knowledge. Before I plan a big trip to Chicago (which would put my quest on hold for the next several months), I was thinking of trying pawn shops.

SO, going to a pawn shop---Is it a good idea or a likely way to get ripped off?? If I do go to pawn shops, what should I keep in mind?? (I would be taking a loupe with me, but I don''t necessarily trust my louping skills)

Advice, warnings, laughter? anyone? anyone?

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Shiny,

Going to pawnshops can be a fun experience and its something I used to do myself because I love going through rows and rows of stuff but you need patience, time, and most importantly, an experienced eye. Its too easy to miss chips, cracks, inclusions, not to mention a diamond's true color (as you may already know, antique stones do face up much whiter than their stated colors).

Having said all that, its still fun to go if only to ogle jewelry! In addition, if you can get the pawnshop to agree to give you some time to get the piece appraised, then you're all set (get this in writing, please).

Good luck!!
1.gif
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice.

btw-I''m currently drooling over an Erica Grace piece that''s on hold......

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I found my 2 OEC stones at a pawn shop. I often hit the pawn shops and antique stores to see if anything new came in. I find it fun to go looking.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Are your OEC''s posted somewhere? I''d love to see them!

btw-I tried a couple pawn shops. The lady called the culet a "cuticle" and informed me that there were many stabbings in that area for jewelry. I didn''t hang around....

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
LOL!!!!

A cuticle, eh? That''s a new one! Keep checking out others - perhaps in a nicer part of town where you are bound to find much nicer pieces as well. You can also leave your contact info with them, note what you are looking, and ask them to call you when something pops up.

Still *snorting*

ps: That piece of ours that you were referring to? A PS''er''s sister got that as an anniversary gift
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad that ring went to someone who can really appreciate it! I kept feeling sad for it, that someone would get it and not really know what they had!

I''m going to try some other shops while keeping my online eyes peeled. Maybe I''ll find a great cuticle!

1.gif

shady71

Shiny_Rock
I have been haunting the pawn shops in Palm Beach Florida looking for a vintage stones for the past month or two. Found huge 3ct +, beautifully cut, but with a huge honking inclusion right in the table that I saw with my loupe, don''t know whether or not it was "eye clean" as with my eyes, everything is eye clean
emwink.gif
, price was in the $12,000 range in a gaudy pave setting.

I have found several in the 1ct range with nice patterning, but am looking for larger, 1.6 - 2ct One nice ~1ct was in the $1500 range, in a small plat setting.

I am currently trying to make a decision on a uncertified 2.01ct, approx 7.9x8.1x5.05, color m/n/o. Shop owner says it is VS1 and looks very clean to me, price is $6100 which is stretching my budget a bit. Looks much whiter than in this photo. I posted this in RockyTalky and got a few comments but welcome any others. Don''t want to jump at the first one I find that meets my parameters, but also don''t want to lose this if this is the best for the price. Will be going into the Jamey Meyers bezel setting so irregular shape should not be an issue.

201vsmo3a.jpg

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Hi Shady,

I''m going to be in Palm Beach County for a few weeks this August, could you recommend some pawn shops I can check out? I saw a report on CNN saying that alot of jewellery has gone up for sale in pawn shops following the Madof fiasco. The report mentioned Ernie''s or Eddie''s ... but any recommendations would be appreciated - thanks !

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/4/2009 4:08:31 PM
Author: blingmyring
Hi Shady,

I'm going to be in Palm Beach County for a few weeks this August, could you recommend some pawn shops I can check out? I saw a report on CNN saying that alot of jewellery has gone up for sale in pawn shops following the Madof fiasco. The report mentioned Ernie's or Eddie's ... but any recommendations would be appreciated - thanks !
I don't know the name Ernie's or Eddie's. Really none in particular that I can recommend. There are half a dozen of them on Okeechobee Blvd in West Palm Beach, some are chains like Pawn America, and Value Pawn, and some independents. Another dozen or so on Military Trail, also WPB. south of the airport. I only found one on the actual island of Palm Beach and it was just junk tools and such, and just a piddly amount of costume jewelery. I was very surprised as I would guess rents are very high there!

I just punched "pawn" into my GPS and mapped out a route along the road I was travellling to hit as many as possible. In that I was looking specifically for a larger, OEC, I often just asked and did not spend time looking through all the cases. Last week had a dental appointment 1/2 hr in the opposite direction, so did the same and hit a few shops in that area. In some other areas of the county, I just called and asked if they had any larger OEC/OMC's, and of course some had no clue what I was even talking about.

I am guessing those on the island affected by Madoff are unloading their jewels through consignment jewelers and the like. Are you looking for something specific??

blingmyring

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your reply Shady. The information is helpful - I''m familiar with Okechobee (sp?) and when I arrive in August I''ll do a Google search to get the names of some shops to visit. I''m not looking for anything in particular, which is a good thing, as I won''t be disappointed if nothing grabs my attention. Thanks again. Oh, by the way, the OEC you posted a picture of is gorgeous !!!!

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Shiny, if you plan to hit up the pawn shops, things to keep in mind are:

You have to love the hunt, because you can go to several shops and come up dry. Many dealers regularly browse the circuit of shops once or twice a week and they snap up the older cuts, so t really is a scavenger hunt and timing is everything.

Don''t ask for OECs or OMCs; shops don''t call old stones that. Ask if they have older stones or estate pieces; you''re interested in seeing "old" jewelry.

Don''t go into shops wearing a ton of your own jewelry; it might make negotiating tougher for you. However, it''s a good idea to wear a piece that you can use as a benchmark. My RHR has a .98 EGL-graded L-colored transitional stone, and I can compare stones to it to get a ballpark sense for color.

Be mindful to carefully inspect the girdles of the stones; it''s not uncommon to see minor chipping, but keep an eye out for major ones. Pay special attention to the girdle near the prongs; oftentimes, the prongs can mask chips that you don''t realize are there until the stone is unset or inspected more closely.

Look carefully at the side profiles, especially on pieces with multiple stones. It''s not unusual to see pieces that have been repaired, so the stones may not match well. I have a ring where one stone is far shallower than the other. Face up, the stones look similar and would likely make a great pair of earrings, but in profile, you can visibly see they are different. The appraiser thinks the ring lost a stone and was repaired with budget in mind; the shallower stone would weigh less and therefore cost less.

Speaking of shallow and weight, keep in mind that the face-up diameter of an older cut is smaller than the face-up diameter of a modern RB cut. If the stone is bezel set, it may actually be a bit larger than anticipated. Ask the pawn shop to show you the MM on a gauge (many of them have this tool).

Negotiate. If you are interested in a stone that is prong-set and all you really want is the stone, ask if they will quote you an unset price. This is less possible on bezel-set stones, but often possible on prong-set ones.

Last, don''t limit your search to pawn shops. I''ve found great stones in local jewelers that people have traded in toward other purchases. Since there isn''t a huge call for antique stones in jewelry shops, many of them are willing to price attractively to move these pieces. I just got an incredible price on a 2.18 OEC at a small jewelry store ten minutes from my house.

Hope this helps - enjoy the hunt!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2009 7:16:40 PM
Author: HeartingDiamonds
LOL!!!!

A cuticle, eh? That''s a new one! Keep checking out others - perhaps in a nicer part of town where you are bound to find much nicer pieces as well. You can also leave your contact info with them, note what you are looking, and ask them to call you when something pops up.

Still *snorting*

ps: That piece of ours that you were referring to? A PS''er''s sister got that as an anniversary gift
1.gif
A cuticle?!! ROFL so hard it hurts!!
9.gif

That''s the funniest thing I''ve heard in a long time!!
9.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info, Allison. I wore in my wedding ring (which I know all the specs on for reference) but everything else I wore was beachy shell stuff. I was thinking of the negotiations when I chose my attire! I did ask for "old" jewelry after figuring out at the first shop that European cut meant nothing! Thanks for the info on the girdle and profiles and also for the heads up for actual jewelers.

A quick question. One of the pieces I found I was very interested in. It appeared to be around a .75 transition cut with a couple side stones. However, the stone was SOO dirty I couldn''t really make heads or tails of some of the "flaws" or the color. How can you differentiate years of dust, nicotine, etc and true color?? Is there any way of cleaning the stone while there??

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2009 8:25:45 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Thanks for the info, Allison. I wore in my wedding ring (which I know all the specs on for reference) but everything else I wore was beachy shell stuff. I was thinking of the negotiations when I chose my attire! I did ask for 'old' jewelry after figuring out at the first shop that European cut meant nothing! Thanks for the info on the girdle and profiles and also for the heads up for actual jewelers.

A quick question. One of the pieces I found I was very interested in. It appeared to be around a .75 transition cut with a couple side stones. However, the stone was SOO dirty I couldn't really make heads or tails of some of the 'flaws' or the color. How can you differentiate years of dust, nicotine, etc and true color?? Is there any way of cleaning the stone while there??
I typically have a small spray bottle of cleaner in my handbag, ready to go, and a small brush.
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
What kind of cleaner do you use? Just generic jewelry cleaner? Your own concoction?

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
I still have a few bottles of the cleaner that we carry kicking around, so I use those.

However, when the bottles run out, I often refill them with the same solution I use in my ultrasonic: a bit of Mr. Clean, a touch of Dawn dishsoap, and water.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Allison, thank you so much for your advice to try actual jewelers! There is a shop right in my town that I rarely visit because they''re a little on the pricey side. But, I went in and found an "estate" case that has two great looking rings in it. They''re both priced well and in beautiful condition. I trust the guy and his reputation in the area so that''s helpful, too.

I''ve decided on a 10 stone, 3/4 ct tw, 14kw, art deco piece with filigree and North South setting. It needs to be sized and have a stone tightened, so I''ll have pics in a couple weeks.

I also found a lovely 1/3 ct OEC set with a couple small sidestones on each side. It has a really high crown and great chunky facets. I am trying to end up with both rings....

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
I just snagged a G color VS1 .67 OEC with a GIA certificate for $510. That has to be the bargain to end all bargains. It''s in perfect condition.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! That is phenomenal!! Are you setting it in a ring, pendant, ??

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I went to a pawn shop with a friend two weeks ago. She spent about $600 and got two rings, which she is going to take apart and make other things with (gifts for her daughter). She was thrilled to get a .57 heart, exceptionally well cut, which was SI1 quality, in a ring which had a bunch of other diamonds. I never thought I would like hearts until I saw this one. It was gorgeous. I wanted to fight her for it (but refrained).
Of course it is not an antique.
She also got a ring with a .25 round in it for $300, the ring was VS quality, she was thrilled. She didn''t want to pay for a whole appraisal so we don''t know what colors these diamonds are, but they look very nice. We didn''t hear about the quality from the pawnshop, but from the jeweler that she took the things to to be reset.

ficklefaye

Brilliant_Rock
this thread makes me want to check out my local pawn shop, but i have no fun money right now
3.gif

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Well, after a month of procrastinating, I finally gave in and purchased the old cut diamond I originally posted about a dozen or so posts back. The good news is that there was a small mix up and the stone actually was 2.13ct and not 2.01 so I got a bit more bang for the buck. In the next day or so I will be sending it to GIA to be graded before having it set in a James Meyers bezel setting. The pawn shop owner was great to work with, very patient with me while I took my time to decide, and he honored the original price even after he realized it was larger than originally thought. (The real 2.01 was a horrible shallow stone that faces huge) He is also giving me the necessary time to send to GIA and will refund in full if the specs are inconsistent with what we believe it to be.

I am glad I have read that OEC/Trans face up small for their size since this is approx 7.9 x 8.1 x 5.05 for a 2.13ct. The stone is very bright and sparkly, I just LOVE the chunky flashes. Would like some opinions as to whether this is considered OEC or Transitional.

201vsmo3b.jpg

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Wow Shady - sorry, I''m never really clear on what are OEC''s and what are transitionals myself unless it''s totally obvious (when I can see the checkerboard pattern for sure, that''s when I know it''s a transitional but I can''t see it here). Just wanted to say what a lovely stone that is! Congratulations! I just love the old cuts too (have one myself). The new cuts just don''t compare in my opinion......

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Shady I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that is an OEC. I think this because of the faceting and the size of the culet. Beautiful stone! I would be interested to see what GIA has to say if you feel like sharing
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My old cut stone has that “flower” look with a large culet but was graded by EGL as a transitional stone, not an OEC (but I persist in calling my OEC anyway

3.gif
).

If you are patient, GOG is in the process of refining their “precision-cut” OEC where you can get the chunky mosaic faceting with tons of coloured light return. You’ll find a thread of it in RT.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Shady~ I just saw the pic of your stone. It''s lovely! I look forward to seeing what GIA has to say!

shady71

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/16/2009 10:25:49 AM
Author: Miscka
Shady I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that is an OEC. I think this because of the faceting and the size of the culet. Beautiful stone! I would be interested to see what GIA has to say if you feel like sharing
1.gif
It has been sent out to GIA, I will be sure to report back once I get the report, I am anxious to see how it grades for color/clarity
emsmile.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Shady, WOW! Gal, it looks like we may be stone twins now.
3.gif

The table on your stone seems notably bigger than mine, so I'm thinking your stone might be in between OEC and Transitional. You should post a profile view - would love to see the crown height.

My stone is quite warm, too - I'm guessing M-ish. Mine has a few inclusions in the middle of the table, but I can't see them without mag/camera, so I'm fine with it. Mine measures in the 8.2mm neighborhood.

The warmth is noticeable to me in daylight, but not in indoor incandescent evening lighting. However, the performance is OFF the charts, so I love her.
30.gif

oec collage.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results