shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage cushions have stolen my heart and I need one ASAP

Annachering

Rough_Rock
Help!

I've been on the recent hunt for my e-ring stone. I was sure that I wanted a cushion brilliant, but then I saw the vintage cushions by GOG and VC, and they stole my heart. I will be having it set in a HW style halo setting.

At the outset, I had the following specs in mind:
Carats: 1.8-2.2
Color: as low as I, but preferably H or above
Clarity: eye clean
Ratio: 1.07-1.12ish
Max $20,000 (really, that SHOULD be for the whole ring, but we're gonna call that line blurred)

Cut to the chase...any thoughts on these 2?

2.02/I/VS1/1.06 ratio, $18k
Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.56.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.57.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.57.10 PM.png

1.73/H/VS1/1.05 ratio, $17.2k
IMG_9382.jpg IMG_9383.jpg IMG_9384.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Digressing,

& a shot of two cushion species together WWW (there are videos nearby, etc.)

I do not know what exists in stock, unfortunately.

2c

Of course AVR are not worse ! Simply different.

Last edited:

Annachering

Rough_Rock
Aren't Vintage cushions so gorgeous and romantic! So exciting that you are getting one! From the above two and for almost he same price, I prefer the first one - 2.01 I VS1 I think that you are more likely to see the size difference vs the 1 grade color difference. I also prefer the slightly elongated shape. Do you have a favorite one?

Also, color color, but have you seen this one? https://loupetroop.com/listings/rings-natural-diamond-center/august-vintage-cushion-cvb-diamond-ring

That’s actually exactly what I was thinking...significant size difference, probably won’t tell the color, and elongated shape is what I want! Thanks for your input!!

Annachering

Rough_Rock
Digressing,

& a shot of two cushion species together WWW (there are videos nearby, etc.)

I do not know what exists in stock, unfortunately.

2c

Of course AVR are not worse ! Simply different.

In my endless searching I also happened upon that website, but I couldn’t see the inventory...would’ve loved to see what he’s got!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s actually exactly what I was thinking...significant size difference, probably won’t tell the color, and elongated shape is what I want! Thanks for your input!!

Yep, we think alike:) and VC can create a magnificent halo setting for this stone!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both gorgeous stones with great ASETs/Idealscopes. Look at the mm size to see the difference of size. I would be getting the "I" colored stone
most likely due to the size difference. An "I" in a branded cushion should still face up very white/bright due to the large facets.

Annachering

Rough_Rock
Both gorgeous stones with great ASETs/Idealscopes. Look at the mm size to see the difference of size. I would be getting the "I" colored stone
most likely due to the size difference. An "I" in a branded cushion should still face up very white/bright due to the large facets.

7.7x7.2 and 7.2x6.8...I know which size I like!

Annachering

Rough_Rock
The only thing standing between me and diamond 1 is the I color...here’s a pic from the jeweler with colors left to right: H (for 4K more), I (the stone in question), and a G (for 11k more). Is this really representative of how it’ll look, because I think they look pretty much the same?

3F5641E2-176B-4010-9FF7-9D198E55D872.jpeg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The difference is not vast.

I know I will not be able to tell by looking at your hand politely. I should know that I is not D-E if you let me play with the ring...

In pictures it is possible to show & hide such subtle nuance by playing with light, background, camera settings; macro seems to pick up colour magnificently ! ... I have not seen yet a photographic setup that gives a realistic impression of these 'near-colourless' GIA colour grades. Perhaps GIA's wording - near colourless - is the best description, after all ! (rant over)

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @valeria101 .. I find that diamond color can never be fully captured in a photo especially for those precision cut antique stones because they reflect such large chunky flashes of color that ultimately make the diamond seem brighter. In the pic, if we just compare the middle one, G color and the I, we can see that different facets are turned on and off which ultimately makes the I color seem darker, when most likely the difference is not that noticeable in real life. Can VC send you a video? I think that would be better.

Annachering

Rough_Rock
The difference is not vast.

I know I will not be able to tell by looking at your hand politely. I should know that I is not D-E if you let me play with the ring...

In pictures it is possible to show & hide such subtle nuance by playing with light, background, camera settings; macro seems to pick up colour magnificently ! ... I have not seen yet a photographic setup that gives a realistic impression of these 'near-colourless' GIA colour grades. Perhaps GIA's wording - near colourless - is the best description, after all ! (rant over)

Thanks! The lower NEAR colorless diamonds are so hard for me...especially with the “high I” and “low j” descriptions that I’ve seen people use! They seem like a great deal, but I don’t want to make the wrong decision. :confused:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that you will be very pleased with the I. It is a beautiful stone and the color or tint is seen from the side mostly, if you plan to halo I think you won't notice the color at all unless you are super sensitive to color.

IMHO, the near colorless look better for an antique style cushion.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consider myself color sensitive and color intolerant in MRBs but in antique/newly cut antique stones I really love the warmer colors. When I was looking for my upgrade, I considered a beautiful I colored OEC that I "test drove" and would've been very happy with if it had been larger! I would definitely go with the I not only bc I'm ok with the color, but I personally prefer the elongated shape/rounded shoulders of that stone!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the I colored cushion as well out of the 3 choices. Please note that there will be a slight contrast in color between the center stone and the melee when you halo it. I personally have a J colored cushion and do not mind the difference IRL.

Annachering

Rough_Rock
I consider myself color sensitive and color intolerant in MRBs but in antique/newly cut antique stones I really love the warmer colors. When I was looking for my upgrade, I considered a beautiful I colored OEC that I "test drove" and would've been very happy with if it had been larger! I would definitely go with the I not only bc I'm ok with the color, but I personally prefer the elongated shape/rounded shoulders of that stone!

I agree about the shape of the stone. Everything about it is what i was looking for except for the color...not that it's right or wrong, just that it wasn't in my original search criteria. I'm not sure I would consider myself VERY color sensitive, I just don't want to end up with something that screams YELLOW at me. Thanks for your insight!

Annachering

Rough_Rock
I personally have a J colored cushion and do not mind the difference IRL.

Your ring is BEAUTIFUL! I've seen it all over PS and when I saw last week that it was a J, it made me feel like going down in color may not actually be out of the question for me! The ring designer is VC, so seeing how beautifully your rings turned out is doubly exciting!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree about the shape of the stone. Everything about it is what i was looking for except for the color...not that it's right or wrong, just that it wasn't in my original search criteria. I'm not sure I would consider myself VERY color sensitive, I just don't want to end up with something that screams YELLOW at me. Thanks for your insight!
An I color will never be yellow! It's more of an off-white, especially in a halo you will hide much of the profile where color is visible. VC can also use single cuts in the halo which are slightly less bright and will blend better with the center stone color.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My ring has been made various appearances all over PS--I appreciate your comments! Here's a side profile of the color difference between an AGS I color (in VC Emilya) vs a GIA J color for reference: IMG_3909.jpg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First I want to say it's a beautiful stone and the ASET is gorgeous too!

I'd suggest you ask them to make you a video of the stone in various lighting, and have them SLOWLY rotate it when it's at a 45-90º angle; that's typically when the most color is seen. And ask for it in indirect lighting as well as direct.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! The lower NEAR colorless diamonds are so hard for me...especially with the “high I” and “low j” descriptions that I’ve seen people use! They seem like a great deal, but I don’t want to make the wrong decision.

Can you get to see some ?

These colour grades are a funny thing, IHMO - they are very close between D & J: e.g., between any two diamonds of neighbouring grades, colour is a slight nuance to consider ... so, not the thing to make or break either choice !

Obviously, you are not after D! - the badge of honour (instead, the perfect cut is the exceptional thing about all three diamonds), so what the colour looks is all that matters. I would be surprised if you might find I anything but without colour.

The best way to solve this would be to locate a GIA 'I' of relevant size (e.g. above 1/3 cts, below 3) . Perhaps the second best, might be to think about paper 'white' - it is always white, although you can still see a trace of old-school chalk on it... (of course, a proficient stationary shop will lecture you on white-s as well as GIA, except they do not have the grades !).

Not quite joking above ... - rather funny that these top GIA grades are so close & difficult to get without seeing ! I know these by now, I think, although I would not make it as a grader ... and I still do not have a good way to describe D-J whites.

It seems practical to keep in mind the 'colourless' versus 'near colourless' categories & throw the dice between grades in each. G, H, I are not a hard choice - perhaps not much of a choice at all.

2c

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd suggest you ask them to make you a video of the stone in various lighting, and have them SLOWLY rotate it when it's at a 45-90º angle; that's typically when the most color is seen. And ask for it in indirect lighting as well as direct.

The high resolution video taken with diffuse light seem the harshest - certainly show more than I can see in set diamonds (great D-s pusher !)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the pictures and videos cannot convey color accurately. You must just send for the stone and see it for yourself in your own lighting environments. I did that and it helped me immensely in understanding what color ranges I'd prefer. That said, I wouldn't even seek an antique cushion in a color higher than I color. I color to me is the perfect color for antique cushions. They face up white, but it's not a stark white. They are gorgeous in a halo. I also like colors lower than that for right hand rings, but for my main engagement ring, I do like to stay in near colorless.

Are all three of those stones Victor's? I take it all three are from the same vendor since they are pictured together.

Annachering

Rough_Rock
All the pictures and videos cannot convey color accurately. You must just send for the stone and see it for yourself in your own lighting environments. I did that and it helped me immensely in understanding what color ranges I'd prefer. That said, I wouldn't even seek an antique cushion in a color higher than I color. I color to me is the perfect color for antique cushions. They face up white, but it's not a stark white. They are gorgeous in a halo. I also like colors lower than that for right hand rings, but for my main engagement ring, I do like to stay in near colorless.

Are all three of those stones Victor's? I take it all three are from the same vendor since they are pictured together.

Now that I’m not trying to keep the stones a secret (didn’t want any lurkers stealing them out from under me), I can say that yes, they’re all VC, and I bought the I today!!! :dance: The Emilya setting is in the works, too...can’t wait!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that I’m not trying to keep the stones a secret (didn’t want any lurkers stealing them out from under me), I can say that yes, they’re all VC, and I bought the I today!!! :dance: The Emilya setting is in the works, too...can’t wait!
It is going to be spectacular in an Emilya :geek2: Congratulations!!

Will you be using full or single-cut melee? And did he give an estimate for how long it would take to make?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay this is so exciting!! I am so happy for you! Can't wait to see the finished product:appl:

Annachering

Rough_Rock
It is going to be spectacular in an Emilya :geek2: Congratulations!!

Will you be using full or single-cut melee? And did he give an estimate for how long it would take to make?

Single cut...it was his recommendation for an antique-style stone, which, from what I’ve read on here, I was going to request anyway! And the timeline...he said 4-6 weeks is normal, but my wedding is in 32 days, which he said he could accomodate. Thank you for your input and well-wishes!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats--it's going to be beautiful!:appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results