shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Costume jewlery or real peridot?

lemarld

Rough_Rock
Hi I have a ring of my grandmother's with three green stones and I was wondering if it was real peridot or not. No one I asked in the family knows so that has led me nowhere. It has an ajustable band (which is good for my big fingers) in which I do not know the metal that it is made from. i also haven't found any type of maker's mark. Either way, I find it a gorgeous piece and I'll still love it even if it's just costume jewlery but it would be nice to know. Please reply!

101_0893.JPG

101_0908.JPG

101_0894.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
If it glows almost neon it might be lab spinel.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is unlikely to be peridot but one can never tell by just looking at a photograph. Is the stone loupe clean? Are you able to detect any "lilipad" inclusions typical of peridots? Also, with peridot being a softer stone and at least as old as your grandmother, it should show a good amout of facet abrasion. If it looks to be in good condition and very clean, it is highly likely to be a synthetic. If you don't have RI tester, see if you have a local gemology club or something where they'll have the right equipment to give you some idea of what the stone might be.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Pretty sure it's not peridot as it's not showing strong birefringence or doubling of the back facets.

I would hazard a guess that it is paste.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That type of cutting is more typical of a simulant. I still think it is pretty!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may find that the ring is made from silver and the stone is paste. This type of ring was very popular years ago - I have a few passed down through generations and love them for their uniqueness.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
innerkitten|1317165588|3027353 said:
If it glows almost neon it might be lab spinel.

My first suspicion as well, but you cannot truly id something from a photo, let alone a fuzzy photo. Take it to an acredited gemologist.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results