shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage cocktail ring- could these be diamonds?

Jane Daisy

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
This ring has a 925 stamp and 2 other little marks... I was thinking the stone might be blue topaz and I didn't know about the baguettes - if they're really diamonds or just glass.
The setting seems old and fussy but I kind of like it anyway and it seems like a lot of effort if it's just glass.
Does anyone recognize the other marks? It's an R inside a shape and the other seems like it might be a Z inside a shape. None of the databases came up with anything....
If I know who made it I can maybe find out when it was made etc.
Thank you so much for any thoughts or ideas! I'm so happy to find this group of wise jewelry-lovers!!
Jane Daisy
  • IMG_5913.JPG IMG_5915.JPG
IMG_5918.JPG IMG_5919.JPG

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read that stamp as “926” not “925”... but you have it in hand. Is it possible you misread the stamp?

926 would be 22 carat gold, in which case diamonds and sapphire are entirely possible. My only hesitation is that “R” - I I doubt it refers to “rolled gold” but the apparent wear on the bottom of the basket makes me wonder. I think it would be worthwhile to get the metal tested.

Jane Daisy

Rough_Rock
Thank you VRBeauty!
I think you might be right re the rolled gold idea, because another part of the basket is really worn.
The stones are sparkly though! Fingers crossed!! It's a pretty ring no matter what
I'm new to all this and I think I'd like to get a metal tester - I've seen them with solutions etc for cheap on amazon, but is that safe to use without harming the jewelry?
Thanks again!
Jane Daisy

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you VRBeauty!
I think you might be right re the rolled gold idea, because another part of the basket is really worn.
The stones are sparkly though! Fingers crossed!! It's a pretty ring no matter what
I'm new to all this and I think I'd like to get a metal tester - I've seen them with solutions etc for cheap on amazon, but is that safe to use without harming the jewelry?
Thanks again!
Jane Daisy
I have the acid testing kit for precious metals, from Amazon, about $10.
It does not harm the jewelry, but you do need to rub the metal on a test stone to make a mark. Then you place a drop of solution on the mark.
I also have a cheap diamond tester that works well, also from Amazon, $15.

mina78

Rough_Rock
I read that stamp as “926” not “925”... but you have it in hand. Is it possible you misread the stamp?

926 would be 22 carat gold, in which case diamonds and sapphire are entirely possible. My only hesitation is that “R” - I I doubt it refers to “rolled gold” but the apparent wear on the bottom of the basket makes me wonder. I think it would be worthwhile to get the metal tested.

I always thought '916' was 22k gold?

This seems to be a vermeil ring (sterling 925 silver plated in gold), in which case it's unlikely the stones are high end.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always thought '916' was 22k gold?

This seems to be a vermeil ring (sterling 925 silver plated in gold), in which case it's unlikely the stones are high end.

I think we’re both right! There is apparently more than one convention where 22k gold is concerned.

https://hubpages.com/style/How-to-Read-Markings-on-Gold-Jewelry

If you do the math, 22/24 comes in at .916 but it’s rounded up, just a hair. You can actually get up to .937% of 24 and still have it round down to 22k!

In any event I agree that this ring is likely not pure gold, based on the close-up photographs. My main hesitation is the possibility that what appear to be wear spots could be reflections or other quirks of photography.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results