carat
color
clarity

Vintage 18ct amethyst ring

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Howdy folks

(Dont know why I did that). I'm new to the world of vintage and antique jewellery always been interested and the romatacism of there being a story behind a piece has always captivated me.

So, intro over, I just bought an antique ring! As per title, sold as 18ct yellow gold with a large center amethyst. Its big and swirly :roll2: just my style!

I'll attach pics as soon as it gets here, and disclose the price I paid too (bargain)! And hopefully get your input on weather it's an original or reproduction or what. If I've been had, I'd rather know it!

In the meantime I thought I'd post this and if theres any words of wisdom you seasoned antique/vintage hunters can share with me, I'm an able and willing student :mrgreen2:

Thank you!

TRS

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, can't wait to see your new ring especially since you got a deal in it, who doesn't love a bargain.

No real advice from me just buy what you love and it always helps if you can find some good connections locally. We have a gold and coin shop one town over and he has a Russian diamond dealer that buys all his good diamonds people bring in. If he knows I'm looking he will let me know before he calls the dealer otherwise these items never hit the store!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, can't wait to see your new ring especially since you got a deal in it, who doesn't love a bargain.

No real advice from me just buy what you love and it always helps if you can find some good connections locally. We have a gold and coin shop one town over and he has a Russian diamond dealer that buys all his good diamonds people bring in. If he knows I'm looking he will let me know before he calls the dealer otherwise these items never hit the store!

@theredspinel, I cant wait to see your ring!
@StephanieLynn, this is so frustrating. I have been to many pawn shops and the good vintage jewelry is just not there! I suspect that it never hits the showcases, and it all goes to dealers, leaving us little people in the dust.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to the big reveal also! :D

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh i hope i dont dissappoint! Stephanie, i do hope it was a bargain, im not really sure what i should pay for not new stuff.

Being a CS'er i couldn't not notice the huge gaping window in the stone but still bought it regardless, as a whole package, it seemed too good to pass up.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@theredspinel, you said in your post you got it for a bargain, so if you are happy with the price then no need to worry about disappointing anyone else right? That's the thing about buying vintage/antique there is pretty much no rule book you just go with what makes you happy.

As an example I bought a diamond ring on vacation once from an antique shop, it was stamped as 14k gold so the price I paid was based on a gold setting and the possibility the diamonds might not be real. Luckily they checked out as real diamonds as the jeweler. Thats the gamble with vintage is in certain time periods they used glass or synthetic so you always have to keep that in mind and get it checked out with a trusted jeweler when you receive it.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was chatting with someone in the biz, and here are some key things to consider:
  • Antique jewelry sales have really taken off recently. It’s getting harder to find good pieces at reasonable prices.
  • As the market is heating up, you also have a lot of inexperienced sellers in the mix. Even the pros get fooled by reproductions, so this is where experience counts a lot!
  • As with all fine jewelry, thorough descriptions and a return policy are musts if you plan to spend significant sums. Ask a lot of questions if the product descriptions aren’t detailed.
Happy shopping!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It came!! Please excuse my awfully dry hands. Screenshot_20180603-164140.png Screenshot_20180603-164252.png

These were taken in a moving car and the last picture has my semi black opal in it too.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty! I love the swirls in the setting and the amethyst looks like it's a nice color of purple.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you both! I love how grand yet still girly it is. It was a little dirty when i got it (though the seller had it professionally cleaned) i had to give it another dip in my cleaner.

Even if the amythist turned out to be glass, i got a fairly large 18ct gold setting for about $200 which i find it be a huge bargain!

Would i ruin the fact that its vintage if i had it resized?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@theredspinel, as far as I know resizing isn't an issue with a vintage piece in terms of it getting ruined. In fact a lot of old rings are small sizes so it's pretty common to resize up.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you stephanie; so just to be clear it'll still be a vintage ring even after resizing?

I must sound completely stupid right now! o_O

Btw, with all your experience would you say i paid a fair price? Don't worry about hurting my feelings I prefer facts and the cold hard truth :)

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The question wasn't addressed to me but here goes - I wouldn't worry about resizing it will definitely still be vintage! It has probably been resized in the past before. A good jeweller should be able to complete the job seamlessly. I think the price you paid was more than fair I would very much doubt the stone is glass as it is 18k and amethysts are not expensive.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you stephanie; so just to be clear it'll still be a vintage ring even after resizing?

I must sound completely stupid right now! o_O

Btw, with all your experience would you say i paid a fair price? Don't worry about hurting my feelings I prefer facts and the cold hard truth :)

For the 18kt gold setting alone, I think you made a very good deal. I would have done it in a heartbeat. I just had a 12.59 carat amethyst set by my jeweler and the setting makes the stone sometimes. My birthstone is sapphire and I love them but I also love amethysts. Good thing you have a good eye and I have a good jeweler! LOL!!

Loretta

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much meely and Loretta for your replies, you both have definetly put my mind at ease! Next step - resizing. This is fun!!

Oh and ps Loretta, I'd give anything to have a good local jeweller :blackeye: all my local ones are the nightmare ones you always read about!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much meely and Loretta for your replies, you both have definetly put my mind at ease! Next step - resizing. This is fun!!

Oh and ps Loretta, I'd give anything to have a good local jeweller :blackeye: all my local ones are the nightmare ones you always read about!

I have a jeweler who works out of his home and he is pretty awesome! Enjoy that ring...it's a beauty!

L.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry @theredspinel, I just saw your message but Meely and Loretta covered it. Also you paid a very good price for the setting being 18kt.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
very nice, lovely colour too :praise:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results