shape
carat
color
clarity

Vietnam RUBY halo ring

TUTU

Rough_Rock
r2.jpg r3.jpg ruby1.jpg

I recently read about ruby in GIA website and found out that Ruby from Vietnam provinces (Yen Bai and Luc Ngan) had very high quality and well known for deep pink. I bought my Yen Bai ruby ring 10 years ago and loves it so much till now. I was told by the seller which I had some referral that it was 100% natural and had never been heat treated. I am curious how much it would cost now?

I've just seen a very big ruby more than 4 carat quoted in a most recommended vendors here US60,000 and it was heat treated.

Last month, I visited the same shop in Vietnam where I bought my first ruby and she showed me 2 ruby stones. I am in consideration to buy one stone. The smaller stone 4.63 costs more (about USD2,600) and it has a sign of t(o) which I guess it has been heat treated. Even though the seller said both of them are 100% natural, GIA website pointed out 90% of colored stones were treated. After 10 years I think trading habit may change and obviously, Vietnam ruby become rarer. I see much less stock of ruby in her shop compared to 10 years ago. She suggested me to buy the bigger one as it is cheaper and bigger:lol:

All comments and suggestions about ruby in the current market are welcome. Do you guys think the 2 loose stones worth the $$$?

Thank you

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
USD2,600 for an untreated 4.6 ct is a steal! But I’ll definitely want a cert from a reputable gem lab.

https://vietcetera.com/en/a-shoppers-guide-precita-on-how-to-buy-gemstones-in-vietnam/

There are two gem labs mentioned in the article. I’ll check which one is better and send them both in to check. Will go for the untreated/unheated one for sure. Those are worth about double for a heated ruby. If the rubies are glass filled or with lots of residue, then the value is very low or should be heavily discounted.

Pls keep us posted. We don’t see such big rubies around often. :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know any technical info re rubies but I know what I love when I see it and I love that ring and those loose rubies too. Delicious. Definitely get them certed from a reputable lab before you buy. Hoping they turn out to be a real deal for you.:appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not buy any expensive Ruby without an accompanying lab report, and I would probably get a lab report for the rubies you own now. It’s not that I don’t trust vendors, but I believe you should always verify what they say. I’m not saying your ruby is glass filled, but even glass filled rubies are “natural.” The term “natural, “does not rule out highly invasive treatments. Without knowing all treatments on those gems, there is no way to ascertain the true value. I will say it’s a little suspicious that she selling such large rubies for so little, but if they are highly treated, she is making a huge profit.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that natural and untreated are not the same thing. Natural only means it isn't a synthetic stone. It doesn't necessarily mean it is untreated unless explicitly specified.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
USD2,600 for an untreated 4.6 ct is a steal! But I’ll definitely want a cert from a reputable gem lab.

https://vietcetera.com/en/a-shoppers-guide-precita-on-how-to-buy-gemstones-in-vietnam/

There are two gem labs mentioned in the article. I’ll check which one is better and send them both in to check. Will go for the untreated/unheated one for sure. Those are worth about double for a heated ruby. If the rubies are glass filled or with lots of residue, then the value is very low or should be heavily discounted.

Pls keep us posted. We don’t see such big rubies around often. :kiss2:

Will do;)2

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rubies are one of the hardest gemstones to assess for value.
Firstly there is treatment. Rubies can be flux filled and beryllium treated and still be called “natural”. The level of treatment makes a huge difference in price. Unheated and untreated is the highest level. After that there is heat treatment to improve clarity followed with heat plus varying levels of flux filling (to fill fractures inside the gemstones) and/ or beryllium treatment which improves the colour.
To the eye, it can be extremely difficult to ascertain whether it is merely heat treated or whether additional treatments have been applied, hence the need for a lab certificate from a reputable lab.
Then you have origin, colour and size.
Rubies from Burma and identified as such can be worth x10 plus more than a similar quality ruby from a different source.
Colour is important, top colour (pigeon blood red) can increase value dramatically as does size. Rubies under 1 carat might be at around $3,000 a carat, if over 3 carats the per carat price jumps to $6,000 and if over 5 carats, the per carat price can be $10,000 plus.
Are those rubies a good buy at $2,600?
If they are just heat only, no other treatments as per a reputable lab, yes.
But if they are fissure filled / beryllium treated, they are very overpriced- such rubies sell on eBay for around $50.
And while no one sells $60,000 rubies for $2,600, there are plenty who will try and sell $50 rubies for $2,600.
Only buy with a reputable lab report.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Thank you for a rich source of information Bron357. Your last 2 comments are very well noted=)2

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is noted by GIA that a common feature of Vietnamese rubies is that they are fractured. This would make flux filling much more likely. The gem jars in the photo read Ruby Fx so I’m wondering is that “Fx” stands for Flux?
The seller is saying the rubies are natural which is true as opposed to Laboratory grown, but are they treated?
Sellers sometimes act naive, “these are direct from the mines, they are natural”. Miners literally out in the middle of nowhere are very capable of flux filling and beryllium treating rubies and often do so. People want to make money and they will do whatever it takes to improve their wares to get more money.
Not outright “lies” as such, more omission of the full facts.
Be wary, $2,600 is much too much to pay for a flux treated ruby.

TUTU

Rough_Rock
Oh thanks for the finding. I think those signs don't appear by accident.

The seller said I could leave her a request for the rubies. She could order from the source. I will try this way plus a cert rather taking those doubtful stones.

Thanks again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results