shape
carat
color
clarity

videographer trouble. please help!

barleyboo

Rough_Rock
hi everyone,

i was hoping that you all could provide your thoughts and input on an issue we are having with our videographer. we contracted with a videographer for our wedding 6 months ago, and we were just notified by the videographer last week that they lost some our wedding footage (first dance and everything after that). we are really upset about this, but want to approach this issue in a reasonable manner

i'll try not to be long winded, but here is some background:

- we contracted with the videographer for 8 hours (2pm-10pm). on the day of the wedding, i asked the videographer to stay an additional 30 minutes to film the dancing, so we ended up paying for the extra time. the videographer should have footage for the hours between 2:00-10:30pm, but the last footage he has was around 9:15pm.

- we paid for a video edit (music video) and the raw footage. they also required a harddrive to store the raw footage and the video, so we purchased one and sent it to them. the video should've been completed around 2-3 months after the wedding. we received an email from them at the end of december saying there was a delay, but they will get the video to us by the beginning of january.

- we did not receive the video the first week of january, so i reached out to them for an update. i had to call numerous times to get any sort of response, and when i spoke with them, there seemed to be a lot of confusion as to when my video would be ready. i was extremely patient with them while they figured it out. long story short, they were able to get a video to us in Feb (after numerous emails/voicemails...it was frustrating).

- the video we received was disappointing. my husband called it a "slideshow" since it was pretty much a video of us posing for pictures. we also noticed that there was no dancing footage in the video. we called the videographer and had a long discussion about our concerns. he said he understood where we were coming from and agreed to redo the video to make it flow better and incorporate the dancing footage.

- a month came and went, and i had to email a few times for an update. (on average, it probably takes him a week to respond to any emails i send). he sent me the following email:

Hey **** - this past month has absolutely flown by. It feels like it week. When we talked, I was out at a doctor's appointment with my wife and she's had a lot of dr. appointments this mast month and between that and helping with the kids, it's been a whirlwind. So sorry about not keeping in touch as much.

The edit is looking good. The only thing now is that I am having trouble with the dancing footage. I took out the shots you requested and have been making it more artistic and flowing. I think you'll like it a lot more. So, everything is done, but the dancing. Are you okay with me sending a draft without the dancing, or do you want me to finish working on that footage?

i agreed to look at the edit, and it looked much better, but still did not include dancing. i emailed him and asked how he will add the dancing in there because this edit actually looked like a finished product. after 7 days, he sent me this email:

Hi ****- I'm confused about the dancing also. I don't see any. I wonder if something happened to that footage. I have searched all of the footage and also everywhere in my studio to see if there was another tape. I also spoke with my partner who filmed and he said he is 100% sure he sent all of the footage. So, I'm just not sure about the dancing stuff. Sorry about the unknown surrounding the dancing. I can refund that portion of the coverage. Let me know if you want me to rework the edit based on that or what you think.

Of course, my husband and I have our own opinions on this, but before I go on my rant, do you guys have any thoughts? what would you do if you were in my shoes?

thanks in advance!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I'm so sorry barley. I'd be pretty mad. I *absolutely* think this guy should give you a refund. It sounds like he knew all along that he lost the footage...hence the excuses and the delays. HUGS!

mrswahs

Shiny_Rock
I am a video professional and this is the exact reason I don't do weddings. I've worked the Super Bowl, I've been contracted to do the Summer Olympics next year, but I would never do a wedding.

If you miss a moment, it's gone forever, and the couple has every right to sue you.

I can't say that anything sounds good about the videographer that you hired. It all sounds bad. If you hired a "videographer" and ended up with a slideshow then I'd say it's fair to say this person is NOT a professional. The way they've treated you is also NOT professional. You should definitely get your money refunded.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results