shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian or older? or newer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shaslau

Rough_Rock
Hello.
This is my engagement ring and I am curious to see if anyone out there can shed some light on the unusual style. It was purchased online from a dealer in TX who had bought it from a woman about 10 years ago who said that the diamond was a family heirloom and that it was older than it''s current setting.

Ring is 14K, with a white bezel. Not sure if the bezel is silver or white gold. It''s my understanding that white gold hasn''t been around for all that long... No markings on the interior, but tested as gold. I was told that the side stones were Madagascar rubies, but an appraiser later identified them as pink sapphires.

Saving the best for last... the center stone is an Old Mine Cut diamond. Weight around 2.5 carats (hard to measure in bezel setting). Clarity: VVS1 - one tiny inclusion. Color: J. This ring has amazing sparkle and fire. It casts rainbow bits everywhere when the sun hits it!

Anyway, I don''t doubt that the stone is old and was told that the setting is Victorian, but it doesn''t look like any other Victorian ring I have seen, especially with the raised bezel setting. Any ideas? Makes no difference to me. I love my ring - just curious...

Thanks!

1.gif

ssringmontagesm.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring!

The diamond is Victorian. The setting looks much later to me, but I don''t know when. 1940s, maybe?

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I would have guessed 1940s too. It''s a beautiful, unusual design.
1.gif

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ditto on the comments above.

Its ABSOLUTELY gorgeous though - you lucky duck!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2009 5:57:35 AM
Author:shaslau
Hello.
This is my engagement ring and I am curious to see if anyone out there can shed some light on the unusual style. It was purchased online from a dealer in TX who had bought it from a woman about 10 years ago who said that the diamond was a family heirloom and that it was older than it''s current setting.

Ring is 14K, with a white bezel. Not sure if the bezel is silver or white gold. It''s my understanding that white gold hasn''t been around for all that long... No markings on the interior, but tested as gold. I was told that the side stones were Madagascar rubies, but an appraiser later identified them as pink sapphires.

Saving the best for last... the center stone is an Old Mine Cut diamond. Weight around 2.5 carats (hard to measure in bezel setting). Clarity: VVS1 - one tiny inclusion. Color: J. This ring has amazing sparkle and fire. It casts rainbow bits everywhere when the sun hits it!

Anyway, I don''t doubt that the stone is old and was told that the setting is Victorian, but it doesn''t look like any other Victorian ring I have seen, especially with the raised bezel setting. Any ideas? Makes no difference to me. I love my ring - just curious...

Thanks!

1.gif
ABSOLUTLY love the ring!The diamond is victorian and even though the ring is early 1990s european...I agree that the ring was made in the 1940s when the style was revived for a while.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 12:21:43 AM
Author: jewelerman

Date: 5/22/2009 5:57:35 AM
Author:shaslau
Hello.

Thanks!

1.gif
ABSOLUTLY love the ring!The diamond is victorian and even though the ring is early 1990s european...I agree that the ring was made in the 1940s when the style was revived for a while.
Bad typing!the ring design is from early 1900s europe...but bet its 1940s manufacture.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results