shape
carat
color
clarity

Victorian Moonstone

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
Would love to hear some thoughts or guesses about this ring! I've been eyeing it for some time online but the seller doesnt have too many reviews. They have it listed as 14k gold from the Victorian era. No stamps nor hallmarks. What are your thoughts? I feel like it speaks more art nouveau style, but I could be wrong...

PhotoGrid_1561778888089.jpg

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s lovely but I agree that it doesn’t really look Victorian.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is pretty. I wonder if the moonstone is original to the piece or if it replaced a pearl or something else. Are there any pics where you can see the cut on the diamonds?

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
It is pretty. I wonder if the moonstone is original to the piece or if it replaced a pearl or something else. Are there any pics where you can see the cut on the diamonds?
I asked the seller for closer up photos of the ring from the top, but the new photos they took werent much better than the ones listed. This was the clearest out of them all.
20190630_124911.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert but this setting looks similar in color to a setting I recently bought which is a cast repro setting. So I am going to say that this setting isn't old, it doesn't have the aged look to it an authentic Victorian piece would have.

That said if you love the ring buy it, but don't pay the premium Victorian price. JMO.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I'm no expert but this setting looks similar in color to a setting I recently bought which is a cast repro setting. So I am going to say that this setting isn't old, it doesn't have the aged look to it an authentic Victorian piece would have.

That said if you love the ring buy it, but don't pay the premium Victorian price. JMO.

Thank you for your insight! I was wondering about the color too. The seller said they purchased it from an "upscale" estate sale but had it listed as a piece from 1901-1909.

What would be a premium victorian price? Or, if you had to assign a price for what we think it is, what is reasonable?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rubymal, this is tought because I can be really cheap and love a bargain. I'd look to spend $200 or less depending on the gold weight. I have seen authentic rings similar sell in the $300-$400 range

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
@Rubymal, this is tought because I can be really cheap and love a bargain. I'd look to spend $200 or less depending on the gold weight. I have seen authentic rings similar sell in the $300-$400 range

Gotcha. I actually thought in my head I'd like to spend around 250-280 for it. The seller was asking $375 and negotiated down to $318, but that still seemed a little much for me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are good with $250-$280 and they come down that much then great! It's a pretty ring. It is a pretty big reduction though.

I can't get on Ebay at the moment but have you looked for this style there? You might be able to get a better deal there.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I have searched on ebay for a little bit but haven't found anything similar. Yeah, I dont think the seller would even drop to $300 so I guess it doesnt matter what I would pay, haha. If more signs pointed to it being authentic (what the seller has written on the listing) I would probably pay her asking price. But seems to be a bit of a gamble.

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I did find a few on etsy that look slightly similar. This one is $210 listed as 10k gold from 1800.
Screenshot_20190630-134448_Etsy.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did find a few on etsy that look slightly similar. This one is $210 listed as 10k gold from 1800.
Screenshot_20190630-134448_Etsy.jpg

This is a nice one and to my eyes looks much more period appropriate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results