shape
carat
color
clarity

Victor Canera / Perry Chen antique cushion engagement ring

john1977

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I found Pricescope to be an invaluable resource in the quest for my fiance's engagement ring and wanted to share my experience with everyone (and hopefully be able to help others in the process). My fiance wanted an antique cushion center stone set in a Harry Winston halo style setting. After considering antique cushions from GOG, ERD, Perry Chen, and Victor Canera, we ended up going with a center stone from Perry (2.05 H SI1). We had Victor Canera design the ring and we are both super happy with the final product.

Center Stone Selection
My previous experience with buying a diamond was limited to rounds, which I bought off spec. After reading about antique cushions and watching a bunch of videos online, I was initially attracted to the August Vintages from GOG, and visited them first where Jonathan very patiently spent the better part of an afternoon walking me through his inventory. I walked out with a 2.20 carat J VS2 AVC, feeling pretty proud of myself and feeling like I had done a pretty good job. But after I got home and looked at the diamond again with my (now) fiance, we both agreed the diamond looked too yellow for our tastes.

So off we went to Perry (Leon Mege) and Chris (ERD) to look at more antique cushions, as well as having Victor Canera mail us an antique cushion that he recommended. My goal was for my fiance and I to select what we thought was the best diamond within our budget from all 4 vendors and pick the best from the 4. In addition, to help make the selection process easier for me (and not rely solely on a feeling or series of feelings I had about a diamond at a specific point in time, which could be influenced by a multitude of outside factors), I built a spreadsheet which measured how "efficient" a diamond was: 1) in terms of its carat weight versus how large it faced up and 2) in terms of how large it faced up versus its cost (which would obviously be impacted by color, cut, clarity, etc.)).

So in terms of the final 4:

1) GOG - 2.20 carat J VS2 AVC...since this was the first diamond I purchased, I used this as my baseline diamond versus which the other 3 diamonds would be compared against

2) Victor Canera - 2.39 carat J VS1 with strong blue fluorescence, which caused it to face up notably whiter than the 2.20 carat J AVC from GOG. However, the Victor Canera diamond was not as efficient in terms of how large it faced up vs. the GOG (the Victor Canera was only 1% bigger facing up despite being 9% bigger in carat weight vs. the GOG), nor did it have as much sparkle/scintillation.

3) ERD - At ERD, we looked at a number of antique cushions from the "A Cut Beyond" selection. ERD had a number of beautiful fiery stones which all looked very similar (very pillowy type cushions)...my fiance had an extremely hard time picking out her favorite at ERD due to the similarities. I ended up selecting a 2.01 H VS1, which measured out to 8% smaller in terms of how it faced up versus the GOG (and was also about 8% smaller in carat weight, so about equal in terms of face up "efficiency").

4) Perry - We went back to Perry twice, as he was able to bring in new inventory the 2nd visit. I ended up really liking a diamond he brought in for the 2nd visit, a 2.05 carat H SI1. The SI1 measurement initially scared me, but the main grade setting inclusion turned out to be on the bottom part of the diamond near the girdle, so not visible once the center stone was set. This diamond was also super efficient in terms of how it measured up versus its carat weight, it actually measured up 2% bigger vs. the GOG, despite being 7% smaller in terms of carat weight. More importantly, my fiance, who came in later than me on the 2nd visit, selected the exact same diamond with zero input from Perry or me. And most importantly, my fiance also chose Perry's diamond as her favorite out of all 4 vendors.

I have to mention that I really liked working with Jonathan at GOG...he was very patient in working with me for the better part of an afternoon, putting his inventory under all of his different instruments, etc. My fiance and I both also really loved working with Perry...he is such a cool, laid-back, patient guy that really lets his inventory speak for himself (we did the final 4 comparison in Perry's office and he never said a single negative word about any of the other diamonds). Outside of the AVCs (which are specific to and available only to GOG), I believe Perry had the best access to antique cushions at what I personally found to be at the most competitive prices. Finally, I believe that for antique cushions, you really have to compare them face to face...taking photos and videos were definitely not enough for me.

Ring Design

In terms of ring design, I initially considered Leon Mege, Steven Kirsch, and Victor Canera. But after coming across Frankie's posting on her experience with all 3 designers, her side by side photos of all 3 designers' final products, and how happy she was in the end with Victor (and not coming across a single negative or neutral review on Victor Canera), I decided to go with Victor for the ring design.

I initially wanted Victor to do an Emilya Halo with flush fitting stems and both of our birthstones as surprise stones inside the band. However, after finding out that you can't really put pearl and opal on the inside of a band, I pitched a couple of variations of the Emilya to Victor. I settled on the Emilya Halo with donut and a fleur-de-lys + single bezel diamond at the top of the fleur-de-lys between each stem which was supposed to represent a flower. (As I am writing this, I just went to Victor's website and found that he posted our ring design, which is so exciting).

Victor was soooo incredibly patient with me and just a dream to work with throughout the ring design process. I am a pretty anal guy when it comes to large purchases (as evidenced by the spreadsheet I built) and I called/emailed Victor with questions, suggestions, modifications so many times and he was always wonderful and easy to deal with. I can't recommend him highly enough. I think Victor is absolutely the best. And Frankie, thank you so much for your post in leading me to Victor.

So without further ado, here are the photos of the final product! Please also google "Emilya filigree" to view Victor's photos/videos of the engagement ring he designed for us, which are much better than the ones I took

dsc02460.jpg

dsc02461.jpg

dsc02454.jpg

dsc02457.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Victor Canera / Perry Chen antique cushion engagement ri

Great to see this ring belonged to another PS'er. What a beautiful variation on the Emilya! Victor is always a pleasure to work with in my experience also!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Wow! Gorgeous!

Perry didn't mind you not using their services for the mount? What finger/ring size--if you don't mind.

cheers--Sharon

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

It is stunning! I love the detailing on the basket!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

gorgeous! Congrats!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is absolutely gorgeous! I love the design!

Congrats and well done :)

john1977

Rough_Rock

There were no issues with not using Perry / Leon for the mount.

The ring is a size 6.5.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous ring, love the side view :lickout:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous!

Sounds like you did a lot of good research throughout the process.

Victor made my ring too, I agree he's excellent to work with.

Looks like a lot of good finger coverage there. Nice job!

Anne

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It's lovely! Your hard work certainly paid off! I love the modifications you made to the design, the gallery is gorgeous! Congrats on your engagement!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful! Love the fleur-de-lys especially!

starrynight

Shiny_Rock

I love the changes to the emilya halo that you made, especially the fleur de lys :love:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Beautiful ring, congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, I do love what you added in the gallery! Just beautiful! I love your diamond as well! :love: :appl:

Lwall1021

Rough_Rock

Question: First of all, that ring is gorgeous. Beautiful. Second, did you actually go to the store to pick up your ring or have it shipped? My boyfriend and I are looking at rings now and I have fallen in love with most of Victor Canera's work. We live too far away to travel to pick up the ring. However, it seems risky ordering a ring online though. Does anyone have advice on other resources to use as reassurance for my boyfriend that his a credible designer. Thanks for the help!

john1977

Rough_Rock

I did all of my ring design transaction by phone/email/snail mail. It was 100% safe. I did a couple of things to increase the probability that the diamond I purchased would be safe, all of which I would have still done even if I were taking it to a local jeweler:

1) Read reviews - read as many reviews as possible on Victor Canera. I did. I was unable to find a single negative review. I couldn't even find a single neutral review. Every review I read about him was very positive. Victor is not going to risk his hard-earned, sterling reputation to knowingly do anything negative with your diamond.

2) Have your loose diamond appraised separately before having it sent to Victor. Then have the entire ring appraised by the same appraiser after Victor is done. This way you can be sure that the same diamond you sent to Victor is the same diamond you received back.

3) Insure your loose diamond with Jewelers Mutual while it is being set by Victor. They are the only insurance company that I am aware of that will do this. The other insurance companies will only insure your diamond once the ring has been completed.

leecube

Rough_Rock

First off, congratulations on your engagement. The ring is gorgeous! The fleur de lys is so unique!

Can you walk me through exactly how you calculate the "efficiency" part? I'm especially interested in the exact math behind your method. I have a 2ct. yellow diamond that I love for its color, however, for some strange reason, I always find that it looks small. The diamond hasn't been set yet, but I see other's 2ct rings and they face up so big and have such great finger coverage.

What is the best indicator for the face up value? Is it the dimensions? Or can two diamonds with similar carat weight and dimensions, actually look different (one bigger vs. other smaller)??

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Use the diameter dimensions.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Love your review John - you really spent a lot of time investigating options and I'm glad you feel so confident in the end, with the stone you both chose! The workmanship on your fiance's ring is AMAZING! Gorgeous setting - congratulations!!!

neuronerd16

Rough_Rock

Well done! Love the basket on this ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results