shape
carat
color
clarity

Veteran's Day

siv1

Shiny_Rock
Tomorrow is Veteran's Day. Saying "Thank you" feels so inadequate for all you have done and continue to do for our country. Tomorrow, if you see a veteran or someone in the active military, take time to let them know how much they are appreciated. And remember the ones that paid the ultimate price.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes Thank you to all veterans. Personal thanks to my husband, two sons, and both grandfathers.

We owe a debt of gratitude to all of you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, also, wish all veterans a Happy Veterans Day. I usually post something here about the origins of holiday.

The roots of Veterans Day lie in Armistice Day, the day on which World War I ended. Many millions of men died in World War I, sometimes millions died in one battle alone. The generation of boys and men who were young at the time of the war became known as, "The Lost Generation". Many women could not marry or bear children because there were so few men whom they could marry.

The Armistice was declared at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (of 1918). So November 11, which was once Armistice Day, became Veterans Day.

Two years ago was 100 years after the beginning of World war I. Because of that there were celebrations in many countries, including The United Kingdom, on the day the war ended, November 11. There are a couple of photos of that celebration in this thread from 2014.

2014 Thread...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/armistice-day-2014.207842/#post-3781373#p3781373']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/armistice-day-2014.207842/#post-3781373#p3781373[/URL]

My father, who is still living at age 96, is a veteran of World War II who served in The European Theater.

AGBF

siv1

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1478835087|4096745 said:
I, also, wish all veterans a Happy Veterans Day. I usually post something here about the origins of holiday.

The roots of Veterans Day lie in Armistice Day, the day on which World War I ended. Many millions of men died in World War I, sometimes millions died in one battle alone. The generation of boys and men who were young at the time of the war became known as, "The Lost Generation". Many women could not marry or bear children because there were so few men whom they could marry.

The Armistice was declared at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (of 1918). So November 11, which was once Armistice Day, became Veterans Day.

Two years ago was 100 years after the beginning of World war I. Because of that there were celebrations in many countries, including The United Kingdom, on the day the war ended, November 11. There are a couple of photos of that celebration in this thread from 2014.

2014 Thread...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/armistice-day-2014.207842/#post-3781373#p3781373']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/armistice-day-2014.207842/#post-3781373#p3781373[/URL]

My father, who is still living at age 96, is a veteran of World War II who served in The European Theater.

AGBF

Thank your father. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

God bless and thank you to your father Deb.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thank your family members, too, redwood. I know that your husband and sons are living. Are your grandfathers also still alive?

Deb

siv1

Shiny_Rock
redwood66|1478833327|4096727 said:
Yes Thank you to all veterans. Personal thanks to my husband, two sons, and both grandfathers.

Sorry Red. I didn't mean to skip over you. :wavey: :wavey:

Thank your husband, son, and grandfathers. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

I am remembering my dad. :))

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to the the veterans. I appreciate your service to our country.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1478836959|4096761 said:
I thank your family members, too, redwood. I know that your husband and sons are living. Are your grandfathers also still alive?

Deb

Thank you Deb.

No they have both passed. My maternal grandfather was in the Air Force at Hickam AFB in Hawaii on Dec. 7, 1941 which also happened to be his birthday. He enlisted and then actually retired 25 years later as a captain (quite a feat to make officer from enlisted back then without college). My paternal grandfather was in the Army but he never talked about WWII.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
siv1|1478837247|4096764 said:

Then I salute him, siv. It is a small party of the three of us tonight, but tomorrow more people will join us. I thank you for your father's service. Would you like to share anything about him?

Deb

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
:appl:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are sweet. Thank you to your dad.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To all of our veterans!... :appl: :appl: :appl:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478837393|4096768 said:
My maternal grandfather was in the Air Force at Hickam AFB in Hawaii on Dec. 7, 1941 which also happened to be his birthday. He enlisted and then actually retired 25 years later as a captain (quite a feat to make officer from enlisted back then without college). My paternal grandfather was in the Army but he never talked about WWII.

So, Red, was your maternal grandfather already in the Air Force when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor? If so, what do you know about his experiences? (And, excuse me for saying so belatedly, but God rest your your grandfathers' souls.)

Deb

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1478837920|4096777 said:
My maternal grandfather was in the Air Force at Hickam AFB in Hawaii on Dec. 7, 1941 which also happened to be his birthday. He enlisted and then actually retired 25 years later as a captain (quite a feat to make officer from enlisted back then without college). My paternal grandfather was in the Army but he never talked about WWII.

So, Red, was your maternal grandfather already in the Air Force when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor? If so, what do you know about his experiences? (And, excuse me for saying so belatedly, but God rest your your grandfathers' souls.)

Deb

Yes he was but he did not talk too much about it because it was so horrific. Lots of panic but he was never hurt in the attack. The fact that it was his birthday was just crazy on top of it. My grandmother is still alive at 94 but she does not talk about it either so I never really got a personal story from either of them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thankful to our veterans who have fought for our freedom and safety. :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to all the veterans. The brave men and women who risk their lives for the USA. Thank you.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Veterans. I work with veterans in my job. Whether they volunteered or were drafted, they put their bodies, souls, and lives on the line for their country and to keep us secure. We owe them a debt of gratitude. Thank you grandfather and father!

siv1

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1478837448|4096769 said:

Then I salute him, siv. It is a small party of the three of us tonight, but tomorrow more people will join us. I thank you for your father's service. Would you like to share anything about him?

Deb

Thanks Deb. Dad served in WW2 in the army, along with almost all of my uncles. He didn't talk much about it either. When I was in HS I found his army jacket. I would wear it with pride in the mid 70's. Dad was the most gentle man, with the biggest smile and loving heart and arms that were always willing to give a "bear-hug". My parents taught my sister, brother and I to love people for the mere fact of being human beings. To look for the good in people. And to live by the golden rule. To follow the rules. We were also taught that no one is perfect and we should try to put ourselves in their shoes. There are many times I forget about that. :(sad He's been gone 19 years. I miss him.

I also want to thank my brother in law that was in Vietnam in the Navy.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to all the veterans and a special thank you to those who are related to all the PSers here.

Thank you.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you veterans!! To my dad who fought in the Battle of Remagen which captured Ludendorff Bridge over the Rhine. To my two handsome nephews who are currently serving. You are our heroes!!!!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely want to thank JoCoJenn and Andelain and any other veterans or currently serving members of PS! Thank you!

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

A big thank you from Scandinavia also - Europe would probably never have been the same without your help.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A big thank you to all our Veterans!!!!

Red, I did not realize so many of your family members served in our Military. For some reason I thought it was only your sons who served.
You must be so proud of your family.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1478879046|4096979 said:
A big thank you to all our Veterans!!!!

Red, I did not realize so many of your family members served in our Military. For some reason I thought it was only your sons who served.
You must be so proud of your family.

Thanks Callie, I surely am. We actually have a much bigger group if you add my FIL, BIL, and SIL.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you and Big Hugs to all the Veterans out there!!! :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very grateful to all the veterans that served. I am a relatively recent immigrant in the grand scheme of things and it's because of these principled honorable people that have preserved and protected this country, in which we were allowed to settle. My FIL volunteered and I have enjoyed hearing his stories, even when they were hard to hear. The veterans have my and my family's respect and gratitude.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you to the veterans out there. I have never been able to put words to how grateful I am for their sacrifice. For those who have family serving, thank YOU for the support you give and for the sacrifices you make.

A special thanks to my husband for his service.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, veterans, for all the sacrifices you make, large and small, to support this country.

I remember when I was a little kid my dad sat me down and told me that if there was a war, he would have to go away. It was the scariest thing a child could hear, I think.

Both of my grandfathers served in WWII. One of them had the job of cleaning out bombed out tanks so they could be fixed up. His job was literally to scrub the remains of other soldiers out so they could put more in and send them out again. This to me seems like one of the worst jobs a young man could have and it affected him the rest of his life. My other grandfather served as a doctor in the pacific and visited Nagasaki shortly after the bombs. Terrifying in an entirely different way.

I have quite a few friends who are Iraq war veterans. Several friends in or formerly in the Navy. I'm actually a little surprised by how many veterans I know when I add them all up. Many of them are women.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1478839508|4096799 said:
AGBF|1478837920|4096777 said:

Deb

Yes he was but he did not talk too much about it because it was so horrific. Lots of panic but he was never hurt in the attack. The fact that it was his birthday was just crazy on top of it. My grandmother is still alive at 94 but she does not talk about it either so I never really got a personal story from either of them.

My grandfather who cleaned out tanks of human remains never could talk about it much beyond that it happened and he didn't want to talk about it. Some things are too horrible to reexperience. On the one hand, it makes me sad that these stories are lost, but on the other hand, I would not wish anyone to have to relive something so horrible just so I can know about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results