shape
carat
color
clarity

very thin girle round set with 6 prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie1

Rough_Rock
for a very thin girle (GIA) round diamond, will being set with 6 prongs (platinum) for an e-ring keep it any safer from general wear breakage?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having the diamond bezel set will give the vthin girdle better protection from chipping.

noobie1

Rough_Rock
how would i know if it goes all the way around?

also if I get it fully insured and if it should break, does insure cover that?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does the cert say? Just "very thin" or "VThin to xxx"?

If well insured, then you should be able to covered for a new diamond if this one is damaged or lost.

noobie1

Rough_Rock
it just says very thin. and the cut grade it very good, ex sym and ex polish.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the cert just says "very thin", it means that the girdle is evenly very thin all around.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also would not buy a stone with a very thin girdle. Rings are accidentally knocked against things all the time.

noobie1

Rough_Rock
has anyone acutally had or known of a case where diamond broke as a result of the very thin gridle?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are way too may diamonds out there with great girdles. I''d keep looking personally. Why risk it?

noobie1

Rough_Rock
i read the cert incorrectly. the gridle is very thin to thin (faceted). does this change anything?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/22/2006 5:56:10 PM
Author: noobie1
has anyone acutally had or known of a case where diamond broke as a result of the very thin gridle?
Yes.

This is often an underlying problem that leads to insurance claims. Most companies do cover the damage because the underwriters aren''t attentive enough to decline coverage on such stones but they could save their stockholders some money by reconsidering their underwriting procedures to include this as a variable that is considered in deciding to bind a policy.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results