shape
carat
color
clarity

Very thin girdle - bezel?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
I''m working on finding myself an approx .70ct stone for a bezel ring I want to create.
1.gif

I have found a nice .69ct G/VS2 diamond, but should I be concerned about a very thin girdle if I''m bezeling it? This is my first "new" diamond purchase online and I don''t want to screw it up - I have no idea where the "thin" part is - I suppose I should ask or just have it looked at once I receive it?? (I already purchased it from JA so I''ve got time to have it looked at, etc)

Specs:

Measurements: 5.68 - 5.76 x 3.49 mm
Carat Weight: 0.69 carat
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS2
Cut Grade: Very Good

Proportions:

Depth: 61.0%
Table: 55%
Crown Angle: 34.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Very Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: None
Clarity Characteristics: Crystal, Feather, Cloud

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s great to use a bezel to protect a thin girdle. But you do run a higher risk of it chipping while it''s being set, so you need to weigh that into the equation.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2009 3:53:00 AM
Author: neatfreak
It''s great to use a bezel to protect a thin girdle. But you do run a higher risk of it chipping while it''s being set, so you need to weigh that into the equation.
Ditto. Ask your JA rep to evaluate the girdle for you, it might not be an issue and only be a tiny portion of the girdle for example. Have you seen an Idealscope image of this diamond?

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Sounds as though it''s just a small section and shouldn''t be an issue.

Lorelei, I did not request an idealscope image - I have my own idealscope so I intend to evaluate when I receive it. It''s not an ideal cut, but it met my minimum requirements for purchase and eval. The very thin girdle had me a bit concerned considering I was bezeling it.
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The very thin girdle is an issue to be kept in mind when the bezel is made and the stone is set. Using a softer metal, such as near pure platinum or very high karat gold to form the bezel would make the setting work less likely to damage the diamond. Once set, the bezel will provide good protection, so it is a decent trade-off. Keeping the bezel on the thin side also helps to make setting work less hammer like and more like folding over the edge which is a more gentle process.

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks David for the response! It is going to be set in a platinum bezel so I guess I''ll have my jeweler assess it carefully and inform him of the thin area so he knows to be cautious. I agree that it''s a good payoff as the price was right for a G/VS stone of that size.

You guys are awesome - thanks for easing my fears!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results