shape
carat
color
clarity

veil help?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
So, as long as I have an income that I can''t convert back into dollars, I want to "convert" some of it by buying what wedding items I can easily transport back to the States.

One of those is silk tulle, as my friend is dating a fabric merchant who can get it for me at a good price, and I plan to get a comb here and make my own simple veil. But I have to let them know by Monday how much fabric to order, which means I have to decide what length veil I want.

So here''s the dress:

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
sorry, here it is...

wattersnwatters.JPG

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I had previously wanted a mantilla, but I think it looks too European while my dress has a very "American" feel?

99329_back.jpg

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I like waltz length, like this veil...but I think the length of the blusher looks disproportinantly short compared to the longer layer. But if I cut it longer, it will hang too long in the front.

12124_fr_back.JPG

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
and finally, do you think the dress could carry a floor length veil?
cost of the fabirc isn''t a huge issue here since like I said, I can''t use the money once the grant is over anyway.

I''m trying to get a slightly 50''s retro feel, fun but still semiformal, backyard garden wedding...
For example, the boys in the bridal party are wearing tuxes, and I''ll attach a picture next of the BM dresses. It''s a big backyard in New England with lots of flowers and beautiful trees/stone walls/fields in the background.

if that sounds a little jumbled, it''s because I''m not totally sure how to make all those things work together...am welcoming any and all suggestion

PS. In case I missed anyone, thank you all for responding so nicely to my earlier thread about buying the dress, it was great to get some positive feedback!
26.gif

12101-12105_side.JPG

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
BM dresses, will probably be in a dark plum color.

lazaro3649.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have a veil that will be fitted under a chignon at back of my head - no blusher, but one corner will be folded back on it''s self like in below picture.

The bottom corner will come to my ankles - I''m 5ft 10"

My veil is 72" by 72"

Don''t know if that helps.

Pandorasveil6.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I personally really like the mantilla, and I think the dress is simple enough to get away with it. I don''t really like the two part veil, I think because the transition is so obvious between the blusher and the longer part.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Pandora:

I remember the thread on that veil, it's antique, yes? Gorgeous.

I can figure out how many meters to buy, the problem lies in deciding how long I want it. But thank you.

I plan on just using my tape measure to mark from where the comb will fit to where the veil should end for the length measurement, and using the same width as the veilshop.com since I like the fullness of their veils.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm....I think sewing on a lace trim for the mantilla wouldn''t be so hard...

I''m not sure if it fits with the "look" I want is the only thing.

Anyone have suggestions for where the length of a mantilla if I do that? i.e., below the flowers, above the flowers, how much so?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m not a very visual person so I''d have to see it, but I think a plain veil just above the flowers could be nice.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I think a shorter veil would be nice with that dress. As I said in an earlier thread, that dress says "fresh" to me so I''d want a veil that had the same feel.

But if you''re undecided and the price isn''t a stumbling block anyway, why not get enough fabric for the longest veil you''re considering and then experiment with different lengths? I''m sure you could find uses for the extra fabric if you decide to go with a shorter style. Heck, you could even send it my way if you don''t want it cluttering up your house!
2.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I love mantillas but you are right, it doesn''t look right with your dress. Too old world vs. new world! Why not a fingertip single layer plain veil or a single layer longer? The only reason I''d go with the fingertip is because no doubt you bought that dress because of the wonderful layered details on the bottom part and a long veil will detract from that lovely detail.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2007 10:34:21 PM
Author: MINIMS
Personally I think a shorter veil would be nice with that dress. As I said in an earlier thread, that dress says 'fresh' to me so I'd want a veil that had the same feel.

But if you're undecided and the price isn't a stumbling block anyway, why not get enough fabric for the longest veil you're considering and then experiment with different lengths? I'm sure you could find uses for the extra fabric if you decide to go with a shorter style. Heck, you could even send it my way if you don't want it cluttering up your house!
2.gif

Hmmm, that's not a bad idea. I'm sure I could use the extra to either a) make an extra if I mess up with #1 b) make decorations or something of that nature c) send it to you! ;-)

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2007 2:36:15 AM
Author: surfgirl
I love mantillas but you are right, it doesn''t look right with your dress. Too old world vs. new world! Why not a fingertip single layer plain veil or a single layer longer? The only reason I''d go with the fingertip is because no doubt you bought that dress because of the wonderful layered details on the bottom part and a long veil will detract from that lovely detail.

The only problem is that I really want a blusher...parlty because I think we''re going to do the Jewish "bedecken" ritual before the ceremony and you need a blusher for that. OTOH, I hate the "two-piece" look when they are very different lengths!

Has anyone had a veil with a detachable blusher? Or, had a fingertip/waltz length veil where the blusher *didn''t* look tacked on?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, if you''re buying your tulle wholesale anyway, cant you just have the blusher made the same exact length of the back veil so that it looks like a soft double layer when pushed back?

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
I thought about that, but then it would look odd from the front, with a knee/mid calf length veil! Grr.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
What about doing the thing where the veil is one layer, and you just let it fall over your face for the beginning of the ceremony, then when its time to let your face show, you or your BM just pick up the veil and move it back, pinning it into your hair so it becomes a "down the back" single layer veil. Does that make sense?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
That mantilla is beautiful, but I would also have to vote for a shorter veil with this dress!

*M*

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
Well, there are drop veils, but they are a little shapeless I think. However if anyone has seen something along these lines but that doesn''t look *quite* so much like you stuck some tulle on your head pls let me know!

http://www.veilshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=108

Also, I may only be able to get the tulle 1.5 meter wide, which is a little thing for a circular drop veil

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results