shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche X-Prong: Asscher or Princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
The info on this website is great. I''ve learned a lot about diamonds.

I''m trying to decide between an asscher cut and a princess cut to be set in a platinum Vatche X-prong setting. I''ve seen what it looks like set with a princess cut but not with an asscher cut. Does anyone have a good picture of what it would look like?

Thanks;

John

coarchitect

Rough_Rock
Here is one I had in my folder of asscher stuff. This photo was of a generic asscher w/ vatche xprong setting that I got somewhere on the web. I photoshop'd a royal on top, but you get the idea.
1.gif

asscherlucdia.jpg

coarchitect

Rough_Rock
oops!
I just remembered that is not a D'Vatche. It is a custom, but still I think it is pretty similar.

rockupied

Rough_Rock
Here's my platinum custom Vatche X-Prong with a princess...

magsprincessvatchexprong.jpg

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the pictures. My GF said she likes the princess cut over the asscher.

Just for a reference, how big is the princess cut diamond in the picture? It's very beautiful.

rockupied

Rough_Rock
Here are the specs for the GIA certified stone:

Shape and Cutting Style: Square Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 5.99 x 5.96 x 4.26 mm
Weight: 1.27 carat
Proportions
Depth: 71.5%
Table: 71%
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: None
Finish
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity Grade: VVS2
Color Grade: F
Fluorescence: None

The setting has a 2.5mm shank with no taper and v-tip prongs. A matching 2.5mm platinum wedding band was also custom ordered at the same time the setting was made. Ring size is 5 ¾.

My fiancé let me choose the ring I wanted and it was months in the making from finding the right stone, to choosing a setting, to sending it off to be made, and finally being surprised with it. (He wanted the engagement to have SOME element of surprise, so he was the contact for the jeweler when the ring was finished.)

I preferred a simple look and wanted the focus to be on the center stone since I picked a quality stone. I really liked the x-prong look and I liked how the stone is set to sit very close to your finger.

I am a very active person and I wear my e-ring almost always. Because of that, I was concerned about the corners of my princess so I asked for v-tip prongs. I have not had any problems with the prongs catching on anything.

I do not care for bulky jewelry (and I don't wear much). That is why I asked for a narrower, non-tapering shank.

I am extremely happy with how the ring turned out!
9.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Did Vatche do all of the custom work? Did it add a lot to the cost of the setting?

The more I look at your pictures the more I like it over the standard X-Prong. My girlfriend is similar to your description of yourself. She's very active and doesn't want anything bulky.

rockupied

Rough_Rock
Yes, Vatche did all the custom work. I believe that the actual company name for Vatche is Eclipse. The stone was shipped to them via a local Vatche retailer (you can not work directly with Vatche).

I don't know what you consider a lot of cost. I paid about 60% more than what I found at this link to have it made to my specifications. I was okay with that because I wanted the presumed quality of the name-brand with the lifetime guarantee. I didn't want to risk cutting any quality to house my stone.

That's not to say that you can't have problems with name-brands, or that there are not quality local custom jewelers. I went with what felt right for me.

Gosh, I wish I could get some really nice pictures. I've taken about 3,487 (and counting). The ones posted here really don't do it any justice and my old digital camera just isn't cooperating. I'll keep trying….

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Did the custom work take longer than their normal 3 to 4 week turnaround time?

rockupied

Rough_Rock
We were told six to eight weeks. The e-ring was back in six weeks and the matching band came in the following week.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was trying to compare the standard Dvatche with your version (below)... but it may not be very clear what was changed: I see the prongs retipped and the band not getting wider to match the side of the stone. Is the band also narrower throughout in your custom version?

DvatSq.JPG

rockupied

Rough_Rock
You correctly identified what was changed. The prongs are v-tip instead of ball, and the band stays the same width instead of getting wider at the stone. I believe the answer to your question is yes.

I don't know what the standard width of Vatche's X-Prong set is. What I saw at the local retailer looked wider than 2.5mm. I didn't ask what the dimension was; all I knew is that I wanted it narrower.

I found the attached picture which, I presume, is the standard Vatche set.

The matching band I ordered is also 2.5mm with no taper. It's just a plain, platinum band. It does not get thicker and it does not have any wave. It does not sit perfectly flush with my e-ring but that is fine with me. I.m.o. it is more important that I can wear my wedding band alone without it looking strange.
wink2.gif

vatchexprongprincessset.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results