shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanadium emeralds

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
I'm hoping that someone can help me out.

What exactly are vanadium emeralds? I read that in the USA, they are considered emeralds. But, outside the USA, they are not. Did I understand that correctly?

Is this true: vanadium emeralds = Columbian emeralds. So, would Columbian emeralds be considered "emeralds" outside the USA?

If I wanted to purchase a vanadium emerald, I would just ask for Columbian emeralds?

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ill defer to the experts...but, Emeralds, as I understand it, is Beryl colored by Chromium, Vanadium, or in some cases, both.

My personal feelings are that Chromium is considered the preferred chromophore, and I thought I read that it was only recently that the Vanadium colored stones (brazillian?) were given the ok to be called Emerald.

I could be wrong....and I look forward to reading others responses....

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These articles may help:

http://www.eternitynaturalemerald.com/articles/spectroscope.htm
http://www.muzoemerald.com/blog/?p=23

This question appears to crop up every so often. Richard Hughes (AGTA) was asked for his thoughts on the matter and was asked the following by a poster on another forum:

I received a response from him (Richard Hughes) dated 1-4-06. My question to him was this:

"Does the AGTA Lab have a position on what chromophore is necessary to make emerald out of green beryl? Or what differentiates emerald from green beryl?

"I've always been told emerald must contain chromium. But I see that vanadium-as-chromophore has apparently been accepted in the marketplace for Zambian and Brazilian goods. What about iron?

"Would the presence of vanadium or iron affect the quality determination of an AGTA emerald cert? That is, would the stone be downgraded in any respect?"

His answer:

"Thanks for your note. Emerald is a variety defined by color rather than coloring agent. Thus if a stone has a color similar to a normal emerald, it would get the emerald variety name. Hope that clears it up for you "

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
So green beryl = emerald. Right?

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Roger Dery|1365272903|3421500 said:
JaneSmith|1365212850|3421377 said:
So green beryl = emerald. Right?
Hi Jane,
Yes, your statement above is correct.
Thank you. :)) :read:

Lovelybluekrystal

Rough_Rock
Yep, color is how we determine emeralds...it was the Colombians who came up with the whole..."must have chromium" thing due to the copious amounts of vanadium bearing emeralds coming out of Brazil back in the early 80's...it's all a marketing ploy....
That being the case...I have dug emeralds in south carolina at the Cunningham farm
once again this is amethystguy aka. barrett

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As long as the green is strong and dark enough, a green beryl will be called an emerald. Years ago, only chromium bearing green beryl could be called emerald but the newer vanadium green beryl are now accepted as emeralds today. Remember, buy the look, not the paper. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results