shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanadium Chrysoberyl

Sakkara

Rough_Rock
VC1.jpg VC2.jpg VC3.jpg VC4.jpg

New member here hoping to receive some feedback with regard to a piece of jewelry. The main stone, a 2.44 carat Vanadium Chrysoberyl from Tanzania, is flanked by two diamond baguettes per side in a platinum setting. Diamonds are 0.4 twt but haven’t information on their other aspects. The stone exhibits good cut and color and the piece, as a whole, is in excellent condition as it was rarely worn. Have perused PriceScope threads and other Internet sources with regard to Vanadium Chrysoberyl but would appreciate thoughts including pricing as selling is an option being considered. Realize that asking price and what one would receive are probably two different things but looking for a starting point. Apologize for the terrible images, especially that fiber (cringe); don’t have decent macro photography equipment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking to buy or considering selling? The two prices will be different. The stone has been tested to be coloured by vanadium?

Sakkara

Rough_Rock
Sorry; post was unclear, thank you. We own the piece, thinking of selling.

Sakkara

Rough_Rock
Are you looking to buy or considering selling? The two prices will be different. The stone has been tested to be coloured by vanadium?

Sakkara

Rough_Rock
Stone came from Multicolour via David; approximately 18 years ago. Can't locate report at this time but could have retested for potential buyer.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone came from Multicolour via David; approximately 18 years ago. Can't locate report at this time but could have retested for potential buyer.

You could ask David if he has any records of transactions from that long ago. Likely he doesn't, but worth a shot if the only other option is re-testing. You could also sell it contingent on the report coming back as vanadium chryso (e.g. if it comes back as something else the buyer can return for refund, etc).

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel you may get a significantly better price if you get a propoer lab report and place it on consignment (and are really willing to wait for it to sell, this is a collectors stone so you would be waiting for the right person to come along who has really been wanting one for a long time. Otherwise I think you may sell it on loupetroop quickly for a fraction of what it is probably worth (maybe 2 k? It is hard to tell.). Unfortunately there are a lot of unknowns, which will make most people hesistant to put down a lot of money for it.).

Sakkara

Rough_Rock
I feel you may get a significantly better price if you get a propoer lab report and place it on consignment (and are really willing to wait for it to sell, this is a collectors stone so you would be waiting for the right person to come along who has really been wanting one for a long time. Otherwise I think you may sell it on loupetroop quickly for a fraction of what it is probably worth (maybe 2 k? It is hard to tell.). Unfortunately there are a lot of unknowns, which will make most people hesistant to put down a lot of money for it.).

Sakkara

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your comments! It certainly falls under the definition of collector stone, as it is unusual and rare. Especially so considering that it exhibits a mint bluish green quality, not just green. Multicolour appears to have one Vanadium of 251 Chrysoberyls available and the desirable blue coloration is absent ($18,832). It’s still an amazing stone – imagine it as a pendant. (As an aside, why is the exact same stone on ETSY for $29,000?). You are absolutely correct that a report would be beneficial. There is no rush to sell so consignment or other methods that take time are fine.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I have a light coloured chrysoberyl crystal that was sold as an alexandrite, which has a daylight colour almost identical to the stone in the pics from the OP on my monitor, a beautiful mint green. In incandescent light it's much less impressive, and becomes almost colourless to a very washed out greyish-green. The crystal fluoresces a striking peach colour using a 395 nm UV torch. Here's a pic which attempts to capture the daylight green:

Mint green chrysoberyl 1 tweaked.jpg

I had to turn the saturation right up, and it's pretty close, but not quite there. Maybe this specimen contains vanadium and chromium?

Reactions: AV_

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your comments! It certainly falls under the definition of collector stone, as it is unusual and rare. Especially so considering that it exhibits a mint bluish green quality, not just green. Multicolour appears to have one Vanadium of 251 Chrysoberyls available and the desirable blue coloration is absent ($18,832). It’s still an amazing stone – imagine it as a pendant. (As an aside, why is the exact same stone on ETSY for $29,000?). You are absolutely correct that a report would be beneficial. There is no rush to sell so consignment or other methods that take time are fine.

Yes but they also have two recent ones which sold for something arround the $1000 mark -- you will find links to them in the somebody has got to buy that stone thread. Someone else recently sold one or two on loupetroop in the last year or so (I dont think I can find the links though as they didnt post to preloved forum to the best of my knowledge), I dont think the price exceeded 2 k but I may be wrong.

Your stone is stunning, if the pictures are accurate it should be worth more than this. But it should get a lab report and may need to be sold on consignment to get the wide exposure it needs (and also for people to have a better way of gauging the photos, as they will have seen many transactions handled by the consignment seller and may have a rough idea how their photos translate into reailty). Good luck =)2.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You have a gorgeous stone! The Vanadium chrysoberyl I have seen available recently are much lighter in color, so yours seems rare to me. I’m am not an expert though, just an admirer :love:.
I’m tagging @Nosean or @arglthesheep because they have helped on Vanadium chrysoberyl threads in the past.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
This color is fantastic. I would love to see some more pics maybe outdoors and hand shots, for fun!

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Beautiful vanadium chrysoberyl...

So diffucult to find the bluish green ones today.

arglthesheep

Rough_Rock
Trade
yes they are rare. Most of them come from tunduru. Some I are from Sri Lanka but then in a different green not that mint tone. intense colors without yellow and a hint of blue are really rare.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Why not send a note of it to Pala Intl. - there is a 'we buy' note somewhere on their site.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
FWIW the crystal I posted above is from Espirito Santo, Brazil.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These were the transactions to compare against

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/sold-vanadium-chrysoberyl-pair

https://loupetroop.com/users/lilaczac

And the multicolour stones

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/somebodys-gotta-buy-this-stone.177156/page-126

Note the loupetroop stones definitely sold below retail costs and probably below their value (even given they were a seccond hand sale. They have the coveted neon blue green, like yours which everyone is right is super difficult to find). But loupetroop transactions often go for well below full retail costs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results