clarity

Vanadium chrysoberyl synthetic

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
well, that's not going to cause confusion at all...o_O

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
I look at it this way. Many, many gemstones have lab counterparts, from Amethyst to Spinel. But if you know your dealers, then chances are you will never get burned. If you just go blindly and and buy from anyone, then be prepared to be burned. In other words, do your homework and all will be fine. :)

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I find their description to be odd. Why have they put Chrysoberyl in quotes? That makes it seem like they are just naming that lab-grown material rather than actually growing the chrysoberyl stone.

Opinions??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find their description to be odd. Why have they put Chrysoberyl in quotes? That makes it seem like they are just naming that lab-grown material rather than actually growing the chrysoberyl stone.

Opinions??

I thought that as well, but I don’t think it’s a simulant, because

1) chrysoberyl is not a common or well known gem, like emerald or sapphire, for example, so calling it chrysoberyl, does not make it more desirable as a simulant.

2) chrysoberyl has been synthesized for eons, but in its most desirable form, alexandrite. I think they’re just lacing it with vanadium now to get this color.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
A Vanadium Chrysoberyl is in my top 3 "gotta get one, someday" list (this color, not the washed out ones like I already have). I typically am a purist and do not do lab. But this may be the only way I get a 4 + ct one, which is the ultimate goal...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Vanadium Chrysoberyl is in my top 3 "gotta get one, someday" list (this color, not the washed out ones like I already have). I typically am a purist and do not do lab. But this may be the only way I get a 4 + ct one, which is the ultimate goal...

Well as long as you know what you’re buying (lab vs natural).

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buyer beware. Just saw this in my Instagram feed. I know many of you are vanadium chrysoberyl lovers, so be cautious.

It is beautiful -- not gonna lie. Hard to get that color in nature from anything -- chrysoberyl, tourmaline, emerald, garnet...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful -- not gonna lie. Hard to get that color in nature from anything -- chrysoberyl, tourmaline, emerald, garnet...

It’s easier to get garnets that color than chrysoberyl. However, that color is really rare in nature, Even some emeralds have that color, but they’re not very clean.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I thought that as well, but I don’t think it’s a simulant, because

1) chrysoberyl is not a common or well known gem, like emerald or sapphire, for example, so calling it chrysoberyl, does not make it more desirable as a simulant.

2) chrysoberyl has been synthesized for eons, but in its most desirable form, alexandrite. I think they’re just lacing it with vanadium now to get this color.

Interesting. Fortunately, or perhaps not, I prefer chrysoberyl in a sunny yellow color so I'm not drawn to this or alexandrite. Admittedly, it's not particularly easy to find the perfect shade of yellow either but I really do love chrysoberyl.

Reactions: T L
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results