shape
carat
color
clarity

value of natural alexandrite

ceastman

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.9ct GIA certified natural alexandrite from Brazil very clean with 100% color change. Can anyone give me an idea of what I may be able to sell this stone for and what is the best way to sell it quickly?

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Never heard of a natural 100% colour change anything but thats pretty cool. The degree of colour change is important but the colours they change to is more important. Is it blue to purple? Green to purple? Brown to green?

Will you pleeeaase share a photo? :bigsmile:

I don't think I've heard of GIA grading % of colour change. I could be wrong; is it on the report or did the seller claim that?

If it is truly what you say it is it's worth a heck of a lot of money.

http://www.africagems.com/alexandrite-6-11supergem.html

^^^That particular one went for 18k a carat.

I think the best place to sell this is through Christie's or Sotheby's or any other big auction house.

EDIT - its worth mentioning that GIA have mistook (mistaken?) sythetic alex with natural alex. I just think you should be wary. Here's a thread about it-

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gia-misses-synthetic-alexandrite.175798/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gia-misses-synthetic-alexandrite.175798/[/URL]

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ceastman|1392394281|3615232 said:
I have a 1.9ct GIA certified natural alexandrite from Brazil very clean with 100% color change. Can anyone give me an idea of what I may be able to sell this stone for and what is the best way to sell it quickly?

From a buyer's perspective … If the GIA report is not new I'd insist that GIA grade it again before I'd consider buying it.
There is SOOO much money at stake and crooks invent new sneaky ways to treat stones or synthesize them, but it takes some time for GIA to catch up with the crooks.

Actually, I would prefer it was sent to AGL in New York.
http://aglgemlab.com

GIA is the most highly respected authority for diamonds, white or fancy colored but AGL is the most highly regarded authority on colored gems that are not diamonds.
I am not discrediting GIA, just suggesting what may help youi it sell faster and get you the highest price.

Also keep in mind that a quick sale and the highest price are mutually exclusive.
You have to pick one or the other.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I don't doubt you have a very beautiful stone, but there's no such thing as a 100% color change. I think your GIA report should be good enough for the vast majority of folks you will encounter, and considering time is of the essence I'd go with it. As far as price is concerned, Brazilian material in sizes over 1 ct. is very rare, and the price per carat will jump dramatically because of your stones size. Assuming the stone is cut well, and it possesses top color, I wouldn't accept anything less than $8,000-$10,000 a carat. A retailer could probably get twice that amount though, just something to be aware of as it's a tough pill to swallow.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If you sent the stone to GIA yourself, then that's super. If not, and you have it -- especially depending on where you bought the alex (like eBay) -- it might be a good idea to contact GIA to verify the report. As Kenny said, there are a lot of sneaky characters out there. It's always good to be sure. If it's old, as he suggested, sending it to AGL is a good idea to achieve the best price you can & appeal to more buyers.

diamondcut

Rough_Rock
Trade
There is no such thing as "100% color change" and you need to have a certificate from the reputable lab, such as GIA or AGL. Subject to colour and clarity, it can be anything from $500 to $20K a carat. Personally, I love Brazilian stones with their raspberry to blue change, but classic rreddish to greenish change is easier to sell.

You can also check prices against Multicolour Gems inventory http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/?/gallery/alexandrite/ . Just find closest match, deduct about 25% and that should be realistic price you can get in a fast sale.

Hope it helps.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, this just came up in another thread recently, where we all (Including me) were sure that no lab reports graded that high. But I have a nice alexandrite with a lab report from AGL and I was surprised to see when I whipped it out that for my stone it lists degree of color change as "Prominent (90-100%)." I don't know how GIA categorizes it, but it could well be that they have a similar category.

ceastman

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for you comments. I just picked up my cert and stone. As you all knew GIA does not grade percent of color change or origin. Tried to take some pictures (not an easy thing to do)

alex2.jpg

alex1.jpg

_15078.jpg

_15077.jpg

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Based on the pictures and the grading report, our GG thinks about $15K a carat retail.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ceastman: these are the best photos I have seen which actually capture the color change. Can you tell me how you got the green colorway? Actually, I'd love to know how you set up both shots. Thanks.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1392751338|3617916 said:
ceastman: these are the best photos I have seen which actually capture the color change. Can you tell me how you got the green colorway? Actually, I'd love to know how you set up both shots. Thanks.

Me too.

bcavitt said:
Based on the pictures and the grading report, our GG thinks about $15K a carat retail.

What is GG?

It's worth noting that OP probably won't be able to sell it for retail price.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice Alexandrite! I'll stand by my original guesstimate and say I wouldn't take any less than $8k a carat.

bcavitt

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What is GG?

It's worth noting that OP probably won't be able to sell it for retail price.

GG = Graduate Gemologist (GIA)

I didn't see the selling part of the question. I don't know how OP obtained the stone, but I would NEVER sell this stone if it is all that OP says it is!

ceastman

Rough_Rock
The green photo I placed the stone in my hand and went outside on my back patio. The other one I'm not real happy with the color is more violet red...I placed the stone on a white piece of paper notice the paper looks yellow) and held it under my vanity lights.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a nice looking alex and having a GIA memo will be very helpful in the sale. Good luck.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results