shape
carat
color
clarity

Value of antique ruby ring

William Eubanks

Rough_Rock
upload_2018-2-2_19-38-50.png upload_2018-2-2_19-38-50.png
My wife inherited this ruby ring from her great aunt. It is a 9.5x8mm emerald cut and looks very clear. It looks to be what they refer to as pigeon blood red in color. It is probably 50 to 75 years old. I think I can make out 18K gold on the inside. It is a very large ruby. Any idea of value or comments?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately impossible to say from a photo. The gem could be a natural ruby, a spinel or even a synthetic ruby. Synthetic ruby and sapphires have been in use over 100 years.
You can’t test using a Presidum gem tester as synthetic rubies are the same material as natural rubies. What you need is a 20x or 30x Loupe. You want to look for either natural inclusions or little gas bubbles (synthetic)
Generally speaking, an eye clean gem is very likely to be synthetic.
The gem looks a big size, 10 carats plus. If it were a ruby, you’re talking $5,000 plus plus per carat.
If general testing / observations still inclines you towards it being a natural ruby, you can submit it to the GIA or similar for a full report.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's really clean it could be a synthetic, years ago synthetic rubies cost more to create than real rubies and were prized in large sizes like that. It could be a spinel, it could be a natural ruby that has been heated or treated or not treated, what is worth will vary according to what it is and what has or hasn't been done to the stone. I good valuer like Dave Atlas;

https://datlas.com/

Or click on the tab above that says "Resources" then the "Find a local Appraiser" and see if you can find one near you that can tell exactly what it is. If they think it is a real ruby send it to AGL to get a full certificate/appraisal done on it.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately impossible to say from a photo. The gem could be a natural ruby, a spinel or even a synthetic ruby. Synthetic ruby and sapphires have been in use over 100 years.
You can’t test using a Presidum gem tester as synthetic rubies are the same material as natural rubies. What you need is a 20x or 30x Loupe. You want to look for either natural inclusions or little gas bubbles (synthetic)
Generally speaking, an eye clean gem is very likely to be synthetic.
The gem looks a big size, 10 carats plus. If it were a ruby, you’re talking $5,000 plus plus per carat.
If general testing / observations still inclines you towards it being a natural ruby, you can submit it to the GIA or similar for a full report.

@William Eubanks very nice color on that stone I hope you get some answers.

@Bron357 Thanks that’s super helpful information!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results