shape
carat
color
clarity

Vacation Rings *ON THE CHEAP* -- Suggestions ??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
0E382458-3D27-44F6-A7F2-D8A345656F2C.jpeg EBD21DB5-DBAE-4355-A6EE-36B4C0197C9F.jpeg A350C9CF-E16A-4668-B78B-DE84B6445D1A.jpeg

With my Cartier trinity...
04008EC9-C40C-4F97-9997-AFEA9645275B.jpeg F326A6CD-D6BE-4BE9-A4CD-3C1179A3ECBE.jpeg 528B2AC0-1B5C-4937-A72E-6A2FCC79D09F.jpeg

Back with a review! @msop04

Well, some good news and some bad news. The good (for me) is that the size I ordered seems to be generally correct. I’m a 7.25 and I ordered an 8. So it fits, and is a little big as I’d expect, but a previous poster didn’t have that experience, so we know the company can be inconsistent. So that’s too bad. It’s nicely made, all the prongs look even.

But geeze, is this thing fakey white. Here it is with my F colored oval. I’ve never seen it look so yellow. o_O

I think it looks really nice on you! I went ahead and ordered several different ones and will return the ones I don't like. I'm hoping I'll have good luck with the sizing like you did! Thanks for the review!!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's cz i think you can bake it in the oven to add a little color!

Ahhhhh!!! I've heard about this "baking"... If it works, then it'll be one of the few baking successes I've had - HA! ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, let me know how the "baking" goes! I may have to try it! :)
Yes, that’s the one!

Yay!! I'm embarrassed to say that I ordered 6 different rings... but hopefully one will work, and that'll be the end of the "search" LOL

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH!! ...and let me know how the "baking" goes! @KristinTech

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here it is. Nice setting with sparkly stones. Prongs are a bit sharp but for $39+shipping, I'm impressed.
IMG_20180815_095308.jpg
:shock: That looks real! I’d be afraid of getting mugged wearing that!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is. Nice setting with sparkly stones. Prongs are a bit sharp but for $39+shipping, I'm impressed.
IMG_20180815_095308.jpg

Wow! That really does look great! I'm tempted now! HA!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will add a difference of opinion here, just my free advise so take it for what it is worth. =)2

I usually don't travel with anything super blingy (fake or real). I have even just taken a cheap handbag, so as not to stand out. I don't want to draw attention from anyone looking for a target. Having the fake gems stolen, might not be a true loss, but it opens you up to potentially lose other things of high value or things that are a headache to replace.

You mentioned concern about a potential mugging, I can't speak to how valid of a concern that is in the Bahamas. But a thief isn't going to know that the 3ct rock is a fake and it may peak their interest to steal your purse/wallet thinking that it will be a big score. No amount of bling is worth your safety!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just in the Bahamas and left my rings at home. That said, it didn't feel unsafe there in the last. I just didn't want to lose it since I'd be in the water all the time (plus constantly applying sunscreen)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will add a difference of opinion here, just my free advise so take it for what it is worth. =)2

I usually don't travel with anything super blingy (fake or real). I have even just taken a cheap handbag, so as not to stand out. I don't want to draw attention from anyone looking for a target. Having the fake gems stolen, might not be a true loss, but it opens you up to potentially lose other things of high value or things that are a headache to replace.

You mentioned concern about a potential mugging, I can't speak to how valid of a concern that is in the Bahamas. But a thief isn't going to know that the 3ct rock is a fake and it may peak their interest to steal your purse/wallet thinking that it will be a big score. No amount of bling is worth your safety!

Very true... I will wear a band only. I'm not taking my nice purse and hardly any cash. All other jewelry will be like beaded necklaces and drop earrings by Plunder and such...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just in the Bahamas and left my rings at home. That said, it didn't feel unsafe there in the last. I just didn't want to lose it since I'd be in the water all the time (plus constantly applying sunscreen)

Ugh! Sunscreen is such a pain with jewelry. I typically don't wear any jewelry in the water or to the beach/pool... usually just some small round studs of some sort.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummmm, specifically these... (I need an intervention)
il_340x270.1226530062_sskg.jpg

il_340x270.1326677077_9cbd.jpg
il_340x270.1528908952_znmg.jpg
il_340x270.991179456_cljq.jpg

I'll stop now... there's just tooooo many...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well.... I ended up sending all five rings back to Amazon. I know... I suck. I did like two of them, but returned for different reasons (one was uncomfortable, and the other needed more real estate than the width of my finger). So as of now, I have zero rings to take on the trip. I may revisit Berricle for a smaller (than mine) step cut - they seem to look more "diamond-like" than the other cuts. *sigh* :(

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well.... I ended up sending all five rings back to Amazon. I know... I suck. I did like two of them, but returned for different reasons (one was uncomfortable, and the other needed more real estate than the width of my finger). So as of now, I have zero rings to take on the trip. I may revisit Berricle for a smaller (than mine) step cut - they seem to look more "diamond-like" than the other cuts. *sigh* :(
No pics? I would've loved to see amazon stuff IRL.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I always wear my real jewelry when travelling, very rarely less. I once wore almost nothing on the advice of my boyfriend and strongly regretted it. I just wore a small ring and small studs. First of all I could not tolerate the YG studs and my earlobes bled and got infected. People can have the same reaction to base metals as well and/or silver. I did as a child.

Secondly, I felt totally naked. My jewelry is part of my identity. I do not care what others think. I care How I feel. Most strangers would think CZ could be diamond and rob you anyhow. If they do not rob you, they could rape you. Of course these are worst case scenarios. Then we also visited some very famous jewelers where I did care a lot more that I had less.

On a cruise you are likely to encounter many bling lovers at dinner, etc. I would feel really underdressed and it would bother me big time. I would just take one set.

Now if you are to do heavy sports, programs that do not involve social activities, dressing up, take nothing. But those are not my type of programs. I have never gone on a cruise and do not want to. It would make me feel scared the whole trip being on water, I would probably think Titanic. :shock: Also I get seasick and my dad and brother had several miserable days on cruises.

Now why I can wear my jewelry easier is because I often wear FCDs, usually robbers go for white diamonds. This makes me think that a great alternative would be wearing not too expensive Cs jewelry, that is a great compromise to be able to wear real bling but not super expensive. I do not mean wear Burmese rubies or Colombian emeralds though I would totally rock my emerald jewelry but just in case the idea of getting robbed adds extra pressure.

One other point is that necklaces are the easiest to steal, rings are the most difficult. If I was to change something, it would be the necklace and perhaps I would wear two rings instead of my usual four.

At the end of the day it is your decision and you may end up having an absolutely fabulous time. Sometimes doing something out of your comfort zone is just what you need and will enjoy the most.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No pics? I would've loved to see amazon stuff IRL.

I was so disappointed that I didn't think to snap photos, TBH. (blasphemy, I know) Sorry. :(

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always wear my real jewelry when travelling, very rarely less. I once wore almost nothing on the advice of my boyfriend and strongly regretted it. I just wore a small ring and small studs. First of all I could not tolerate the YG studs and my earlobes bled and got infected. People can have the same reaction to base metals as well and/or silver. I did as a child.

Secondly, I felt totally naked. My jewelry is part of my identity. I do not care what others think. I care How I feel. Most strangers would think CZ could be diamond and rob you anyhow. If they do not rob you, they could rape you. Of course these are worst case scenarios. Then we also visited some very famous jewelers where I did care a lot more that I had less.

On a cruise you are likely to encounter many bling lovers at dinner, etc. I would feel really underdressed and it would bother me big time. I would just take one set.

Now if you are to do heavy sports, programs that do not involve social activities, dressing up, take nothing. But those are not my type of programs. I have never gone on a cruise and do not want to. It would make me feel scared the whole trip being on water, I would probably think Titanic. :shock: Also I get seasick and my dad and brother had several miserable days on cruises.

Now why I can wear my jewelry easier is because I often wear FCDs, usually robbers go for white diamonds. This makes me think that a great alternative would be wearing not too expensive Cs jewelry, that is a great compromise to be able to wear real bling but not super expensive. I do not mean wear Burmese rubies or Colombian emeralds though I would totally rock my emerald jewelry but just in case the idea of getting robbed adds extra pressure.

One other point is that necklaces are the easiest to steal, rings are the most difficult. If I was to change something, it would be the necklace and perhaps I would wear two rings instead of my usual four.

At the end of the day it is your decision and you may end up having an absolutely fabulous time. Sometimes doing something out of your comfort zone is just what you need and will enjoy the most.

All good points... Like you, I feel naked without my rings.

The only "nice" jewelry I wear are my rings. I mostly wear brushed fake gold and colored resin/beaded necklaces and earrings. So if those were stolen, I wouldn't care. I'm toying with just wearing my wedding set.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@msop04 I think a weddng set is just fine, you can also wear it at almost all times. My solution if we end up on the beach unplanned is just handing my nice purse and any jewelry I may have on to my boyfriend, well, hoping he will not fall asleep while )I am swimming. :lol:

I am super careful with jewelry though even though I am actually insured to travel with jewelry, pretty sure the insurance would not pay if I had left it unattended. However, my insurance does pay if I am leaving my jewelry in a safe. It may be worth looking into insurance as well, you just never know.

When I travel, which is pretty much all the time, I almost always have special events and meetings included so I do need nice stuff like clothes, bags, shoes and of course bling since it is not only my passion but also my work. But then I am a dress up kind of girl anyhow.

I think that wearing simple, colored stone or designer costume jewelry even on the neck is a good idea. Many women can be stylish wearing real rings and unique costume necklaces/earrings at one time. Today there is so much nice artisan costume jewelry available, I bought some as gifts on my last trip and everyone can tell it is costume jewelry.

I also think that worrying about jewelry mostly may be missing the most likely targets. Since stealing jewelry is obviously something everyone will notice, hotel thieves, moving thieves, etc. often steal ridiculous stuff hoping you will think you just lost it, misplaced it, etc. I had jeans stolen for example by a moving company.

Then I would say that cash is among the most likely items to be stolen because it cannot really be traced but can easily be used.

Lastly wearing jewelry on a cruise is no more dangerous than wearing it at most other places while travelling or at home. Rings can easily be flipped, so I just wear mine all the time.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 I think a weddng set is just fine, you can also wear it at almost all times. My solution if we end up on the beach unplanned is just handing my nice purse and any jewelry I may have on to my boyfriend, well, hoping he will not fall asleep while )I am swimming. :lol:

I am super careful with jewelry though even though I am actually insured to travel with jewelry, pretty sure the insurance would not pay if I had left it unattended. However, my insurance does pay if I am leaving my jewelry in a safe. It may be worth looking into insurance as well, you just never know.

When I travel, which is pretty much all the time, I almost always have special events and meetings included so I do need nice stuff like clothes, bags, shoes and of course bling since it is not only my passion but also my work. But then I am a dress up kind of girl anyhow.

I think that wearing simple, colored stone or designer costume jewelry even on the neck is a good idea. Many women can be stylish wearing real rings and unique costume necklaces/earrings at one time. Today there is so much nice artisan costume jewelry available, I bought some as gifts on my last trip and everyone can tell it is costume jewelry.

I also think that worrying about jewelry mostly may be missing the most likely targets. Since stealing jewelry is obviously something everyone will notice, hotel thieves, moving thieves, etc. often steal ridiculous stuff hoping you will think you just lost it, misplaced it, etc. I had jeans stolen for example by a moving company.

Then I would say that cash is among the most likely items to be stolen because it cannot really be traced but can easily be used.

Lastly wearing jewelry on a cruise is no more dangerous than wearing it at most other places while travelling or at home. Rings can easily be flipped, so I just wear mine all the time.

Thanks so much for your comments! I was speaking to my husband about this, and he had similar points. He thinks I should just wear what I would typically wear when we go to an AI in Mexico. He thinks I'm being paranoid... and I'd have to agree. We never take a lot of cash when vacationing, no matter where we go. I think you've convinced me to just be me... jewelry and all! ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results