shape
carat
color
clarity

USPS Priority Mail with insurance vs USPS Registered Mail for $3000 item

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Dear all,

I’ve been reading up on all prior posts discussing registered USPS mail for mailing all expensive baubles and have a hopefully simple question:

I’m mailing a mounted piece worth about $3000 to a reputable PS vendor, should I just do Priority Mail with insurance (I think it covers up to $5000), or go with registered mail?

IMHO there are pros/cons to both.
Priority pros: faster, has tracking data
Registered pros: supposedly safest
Priority cons: not as secure?
Registered cons: need special tape, slower, no tracking info

Piece is not sentimental, however, in the event it is lost, would I have a harder time filing a claim if it was registered vs priority mail? This is the only differentiating point for me I think.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Registered mail. I have a $1500 package sent via priority that has been missing since early December and USPS has no clue where it is. Tracking stopped updating on the 11th. My understanding is registered is more secure.

Module

Shiny_Rock
I did USPS first class small package with additional forms: form 3806 for registered mail and form 3813 for insurance. That way you have tracking info, insurance coverage and secure way, it is slower though. I don't remember I used special tape.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the vendor, they might be able to provide you with either a UPS or FedEx label with additional insurance coverage by a third-party insurer. It's worth asking if they can provide this service at cost.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Registered mail. It’s going to take 7-10 days and tracking reports will be lax, but it will get there.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the vendor, they might be able to provide you with either a UPS or FedEx label with additional insurance coverage by a third-party insurer. It's worth asking if they can provide this service at cost.

yes. This is what I prefer

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
Registered mail. I have a $1500 package sent via priority that has been missing since early December and USPS has no clue where it is. Tracking stopped updating on the 11th. My understanding is registered is more secure.

So sorry to hear!!! Are you able to claim insurance on it at least?

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
I did USPS first class small package with additional forms: form 3806 for registered mail and form 3813 for insurance. That way you have tracking info, insurance coverage and secure way, it is slower though. I don't remember I used special tape.

Thank you for the extra detail/info re the forms, super helpful!

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock

Great suggestion, I’ll check first!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear!!! Are you able to claim insurance on it at least?

Nope. My grandma sent us a gift card for Christmas and our birthdays and USPS said it’s not covered under insurance because it’s basically cash.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear all,

I’ve been reading up on all prior posts discussing registered USPS mail for mailing all expensive baubles and have a hopefully simple question:

I’m mailing a mounted piece worth about $3000 to a reputable PS vendor, should I just do Priority Mail with insurance (I think it covers up to $5000), or go with registered mail?

IMHO there are pros/cons to both.
Priority pros: faster, has tracking data
Registered pros: supposedly safest
Priority cons: not as secure?
Registered cons: need special tape, slower, no tracking info

Piece is not sentimental, however, in the event it is lost, would I have a harder time filing a claim if it was registered vs priority mail? This is the only differentiating point for me I think.

Vendor should be able to provide an insured FedEx label.

Given that USPS Priority Express shipments are routinely delayed 3-5 business days right now - I can easily imagine Registered taking 4-6 weeks. I wouldn’t have nails left if I had to spend 4-6 weeks worrying about a package :lol:

If you absolutely must ship on your own - Registered. If they lose it, it’s the only class of service they’ll care enough to search... And they will find it. Anything else - Priority, Priority Express, First Class - #Sorry,Thoughts&Prayers.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Always insure your valuables when shipping USPS, plus a signature required. At $3000.00, USPS will automatically require a signature.

Use "Priority Mail." I've sent out 1000's of packages that way up to $5000.00 insurance. Never lost one when I was in the wholesale business.

Best to insure, as things can get lost on the way instead of registered mail.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results