shape
carat
color
clarity

Used Rolex

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Ladies!!

My SO and I will be having an anniversary next month and I was thinking of getting him a used rolex for our anniversary. However, he wants the plain datejust watch in stainless steel.....and everyplace that I look at for one online are WAY to expensive for what they are asking....

Is it possible to get one like that for around $1500??

I just don''t want to go to a pawn shop or someplace online that I don''t know and have it be a knockoff....

Something like this......plain-ish but nice......

rolexwanted0101.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Alexis,
Rolex is one watch that always holds its value on the secondary market.The demand is very high for pre-owned and so its hard to find a genuine used rolex for an affordable price.$1500.00 will buy you a older model(1970s-early 80s) that may need repair and work that is also expensive.The lower the price the more time and energy it will take to find a "deal"....start educating yourself and go to sites like Timezone.com,Bernardwatch.com,Watchcat.com,and as many other sources as possible to get started...GOOD LUCK and really do your homework BEFORE you buy so you dont get a lemon or a fake.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at bernard and a and e watches and grey and sons, but they are just out of my price range. I know they hold their value but I thought someone here would have a hidden gem of a link hiding someplace.

I know about the holograms and the case backings and the general serial numbers on the back for age purposes, so I am aware of the scams and whatnot that they may run.

Just thought I would ask. Never hurts to try!!

Thanks!!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
How about a new Tag Heuer? I bought my husband one and he loves it!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=32
http://market.watchprosite.com/?fi=712

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
timezone is a very reputable forum for finer watch brands and they have a selling area as well.

Alexis, I would be very careful about buying a used Rolex from just anyone. In fact, I''d only recommend buying a pre-owned Rolex from an Rolex AD because then someone has presumably looked "under the hood" to ensure that the internal parts are authentic Rolex parts. There are A LOT of fakes out there...One way to tell if something isn''t quite right is if you see a Rolex with more than one strap offered, or with multiple dials...Because Rolex does not allow a customer to keep the old strap/dial when they upgrade or switch to a new one. Just be careful and only look at pre-owned Rolexes at ADs like Tourneau, etc.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I was in Tourneau recently in MA and they had a good selection of used watches. I tried on a 40k diamond and platinum Rolex that was to die for! Just be careful who you buy from and ask about warranties.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I disagree about only buying used Rolex from AD. People trade watches on the internet all the time. The two sites I mentioned are reputable sites, Timzone and ThePuristS. I've participated on both for almost ten years. Maybe you have to know your way around watches in general to know how to buy and sell on the internet (I don't know, I'm used to it so I've never thought about it) but there are plenty of honest enthusiasts who sell watches on these sites. Used watches at AD like Tourneau are going to have a big price. I've bought new Rolex's from Tourneau (2 in fact, 1 I returned) but it's not necessary to buy from them to know you are getting a real Rolex. It isn't any big deal to buy a used Rolex at a watch site. It's how most used high end watches are sold. BTW, a datejust in new condition like the one in your picture- I doubt you can find one for $1500. Watch prices have gone up drastically in the last five years.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
How embarrassing. I realized after I posted I misspoke. That''s an Oyster Date, not a Datejust. Still, I don''t think it can be found in that condition at that price (it''s a very rare one too). Look for Air-Kings if you want that same basic watch without a date. It''s the basic Rolex. Sorry for error.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Alexis,
I agree that there are many reputable sellers on Timezone.I have purchased two rolexes from collectors that frequented the watch forums.I interacted with these men for two years before buying from them and both times were positive.I personally would not buy a pre-owned luxury watch from Tourneau because even though they can make sure the rolex is genuine they are in my opinion overpriced and i would just buy new for the differance in price.Ask questions about replaced parts on the watchs you consider buying because rolex will not recieve any watch without genuine part for cleaning or repair.I sent my Datejust with diamond dial to be cleaned at a rolex sevice center in texas and it ran 400.00 to clean and polish...beware of watch shops that claim to have "trained rolex repairmen"and can repair or clean your watch for alot less...rolex is the only source for parts.good luck shopping.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
danny, chill out dude. I SAID that timezone was a reputable site and had a selling area...jeez... I also belong to thePurists site and yes, they are also reputable but I dont think Alexis was looking in those places and there are alot of fake garbage floating around jewelry stores that have after market mechanisms as well as after market bracelets and dials. So if she''s going to look in person in shops, then yes, I think she should only buy pre owned from an AD. If she wants to try the above forums then she might also have luck there.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Alexis, I would be very careful about buying a used Rolex from just anyone. In fact, I''d only recommend buying a pre-owned Rolex from an Rolex AD because then someone has presumably looked ''under the hood'' to ensure that the internal parts are authentic Rolex parts. There are A LOT of fakes out there...One way to tell if something isn''t quite right is if you see a Rolex with more than one strap offered, or with multiple dials...Because Rolex does not allow a customer to keep the old strap/dial when they upgrade or switch to a new one. Just be careful and only look at pre-owned Rolexes at ADs like Tourneau, etc.

Thank you for the clarification.

anemone

Rough_Rock
I have seen $400 fake Rolexes and compared them side by side with real ones and cannot tell the difference, holograms and everything. You must find a vendor you can trust.

Personally I would go new Omega Seamaster for that price rather than a used Rolex Air King. Seamasters are great automatic watches. Timezone is the place to find an authorized dealer who will discount 30% off retail.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results