shape
carat
color
clarity

USA V Ireland

Corkman

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I live in the US, but am from Ireland originally. Where should I buy a diamond engagement ring? As I see it, buying in Ireland gives me an instant discount of 20%. This is the VAT rate. My brother was living in Australia, and bought a ring in Ireland at a 30% discount. VAT plus 10%..........as we know the owner. It is a well established physical shop there. Another advantage to buying in Ireland is the strong dollar.

Or should I buy in the US? Are the prices more competitive? I feel the selection would be way better here. Maybe, also better cut at Whiteflash? I feel apprehensive about buying online. We could always go to their showroom in Texas............. close to Las Vegas

Corkman

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a lot to consider. How strong is your currency to another country… a favorable exchange rate is vital. Also import duties as Some countries have a higher rate if it is a finished piece versus buying the diamond and having it set at home. But getting a custom setting can be expensive And difficult. As a jewelry shop window gazer addict, I found European prices high when it came to diamond jewelry. Start doing a lot of online research for comparisons and see what is on offer in Ireland. The US does have tremendous selectio. Good luck!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Corkman!

You've got some outstanding sellers that place cut quality and beauty above all else (no particular order):

Whiteflash
Brian Gavin
Continental Diamond
JannPaul
Victor Canera
Distinctive Gem
Diamonds by Lauren

...these would be my recommended starting points. The list may grow as other PS'ers chime in.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I have been very happy buying from Weldons of Dublin, if you like pre-owned. Very nice folks, multi-generational business, and great references. Plus, I like old cuts better.

My husband is Irish.

If you want a modern brilliant cut, on the other hand, you will do better buying the PS way. Better meaning a larger diamond for the same money.

Vintage/estate §will give you a better shot at resale should you unfortunately need to do that.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in Scotland. I wouldn't think twice about buying anything from here/wider UK unless it was Preloved or bought online. I have purchased from WF twice, I was nervous about the transaction being completely online (no visit to their showroom) but both transactions went smoothly.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It really depends what you are looking for. I feel that antiques here in the UK and Ireland are more plentiful and so easy to come by. If that’s what you are looking for let us know and I’m sure the community will chime in and let you know we’re is best to shop. Even though I don’t live in the USA, I’ve found better prices for modern cut diamond jewellery there.

Corkman

Rough_Rock
It really depends what you are looking for. I feel that antiques here in the UK and Ireland are more plentiful and so easy to come by. If that’s what you are looking for let us know and I’m sure the community will chime in and let you know we’re is best to shop. Even though I don’t live in the USA, I’ve found better prices for modern cut diamond jewellery there.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am looking for a modern diamond, that sparkles like there is no tomorrow!! Corkman

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in the US, but am from Ireland originally.
I feel apprehensive about buying online. We could always go to their showroom in Texas............. close to Las Vegas
Thanks everyone for the replies. I am looking for a modern diamond, that sparkles like there is no tomorrow!! Corkman

Given the fact you are in the US now, I don't see the advantage to muddy up the waters and buy locally in Ireland, Australia, etc. You'd either have to buy a plane ticket to go back and make the purchase yourself and bring home. Or have one of your family members buy on your behalf and then ship/insure the international shipment back to the US. Just sounds like a headache.

Just a few days ago, I helped a lad buy a stone from WF that was based out of Denmark. Originally he was going to buy locally and like you was apprehensive about buying online. However, even after calculating taxes and duties, we found a solution that met his budget and gave him a super ideal sparkle bomb.

Point blank, a super ideal with true H&A symmetry and superb cut quality is going to cost a little more than your standard GIA XXX stone but they are in the top 1% of all diamonds. But they are truly sparkle bombs. Plus they come with a full array of advanced images to PROVE they are amazing. And also lifetime upgrade programs that are very generous and more favorable than most local and standard online jewelers.

If you choose to use a local guy and go the GIA XXX method, we can still help. We know the proportions to look for to help shorten the list to real contenders, as most GIA XXX isn't really all that excellent at all. Sometimes, but not always, you can get advanced images too and we can help further analyze that data to confirm if it's good or bad. You probably won't find a perfect 10 going this way, but using some of these techniques you can get very close.

If you want the 10 without the headache, super ideals are the "easy button" approach. Remember, time is money. And best value doesn't always equate to lowest price. Knowing your priorities, budget and preferences will help us determine the right path to direct you for the best result.

By the way....Houston isn't close to Vegas. It's about a 21 hour drive. For $200 you can get a direct flight plane ticket and be there in about 3 hours. If you choose that route, book a rental car and definitely setup appointments with both WF and BGD as they are both in the Houston area. BGD is in SW Houston, and WF is just a few minutes further SW in a neighboring town called Sugarland. Book yourself a room at the Marriott there in Sugarland Town Square. It's quite charming, right across the street from WF and also next to Perry's Steakhouse which has a nice ambience and great food.

Corkman

Rough_Rock
Thanks Sledge, for such a comprehensive answer,, complete with culinary recommendations! When I said Vegas is close to Houston, I forgot the exclamation mark! It was said in jest.

I did not know that BGD was there as well. It is still a bit in the future, but I will keep you posted. Thanks again

Corkman

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As much as it annoys jewelers to say this, diamonds are basically a world commodity. Base prices are about the same. What changes are taxes, additional dealer expenses (which includes, rent, employees, bank fees, etc.) and shipping. The MOST efficient marketplace on the planet is the US Internet. That doesn't mean you want to put up with it, you may be happier with a jewelry store, but yes, that store is going to be paid. Given that you're currently living in the US, I would start there. It's easier to walk into the store to look at it, and it's easier to walk into the store if you have a problem. You don't even save sales tax by shopping in Ireland. Customs is going to want it when you bring it into the country. If you're living in Ireland you're going to owe VAT, if your living in America you're going to owe Sales/Use tax, which is usually a little bit less. The only legitimate way to duck it is to move to one of the few US states that doesn't have sales tax (like New Hampshire).

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

@RosieR -we were just in London and Dublin but didn’t really have much time to shop. Would you mind sharing a few stores to checkout? My kids are going back and forth this month and next. Will ask one of my daughters to check out the stores.

Thanks so much!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Dmndsr4evr11 other than Weldon’s in Clarendon street Dublin I haven’t visited many shops there as I’m biased in England. If you (or family members) are in London. Look online for bonhams and Sotheby’s jewellery auctions. They sell old cuts by the boat load and have viewing days a week before auction. Of course it’s luck of the draw, but there are some amazing stones at really good prices.

I’d also check out Grays antique market https://www.graysantiques.com/ look out for look for John Joseph’s stall and Daryl on the ground floor. Anthea’s antiques in the basement, she often has fantastic vintage VCA, Tiffany and Cartier There are many others worth checking out too. The prices here are very negotiable. It is expectable to haggle here. Expect around 20% off the sticker price.

Be aware through that all mentioned above you are very unlikely to get GIA certification with diamonds, as there are no GIA grading offices in the UK.

It’s also worth going to some of the big jewellery and art shows. My personal favorite which I try to attend every year is masterpiece London which is owned and run by the same company that put together art Basel. They really struggled due to brexit so I think it’s going to look a little different this year.

I try and stay away from hatton garden as I got burnt pretty bad at Farringdon Jewellers. Walking around the streets it’s pretty difficult to find someone reputable, you see a lot of lab stones not well labeled and no certification of any sort :(

Calling @Pomelo and @dk168 for other suggestions

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am based in UK, not Ireland, therefore, I cannot comment on the prices and taxes for importing jewellery from abroad into Ireland, sorry!

However, I frequently import from abroad, and have not bought any significant pieces of jewellery until very recently when I bought a bracelet from Chopard's main store in London.

The choices and prices of high end jewellery in UK are not very good IMHO, hence I import from abroad. Just window-shopping recently in London confirmed my belief in that jewellery buying in UK is no fun.

IMHO, I get better choices by buying and importing from abroad, even after adding back the import/custom charges and VAT.

That's just my own experiences to date, personal preferences and all that.

DK :))

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I would highly recommend checking out whether Bonhams (monthly), Sotheby's or Christie's (twice a year) have auction viewings going on!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Dmndsr4evr11 other than Weldon’s in Clarendon street Dublin I haven’t visited many shops there as I’m biased in England. If you (or family members) are in London. Look online for bonhams and Sotheby’s jewellery auctions. They sell old cuts by the boat load and have viewing days a week before auction. Of course it’s luck of the draw, but there are some amazing stones at really good prices.

I’d also check out Grays antique market https://www.graysantiques.com/ look out for look for John Joseph’s stall and Daryl on the ground floor. Anthea’s antiques in the basement, she often has fantastic vintage VCA, Tiffany and Cartier There are many others worth checking out too. The prices here are very negotiable. It is expectable to haggle here. Expect around 20% off the sticker price.

Be aware through that all mentioned above you are very unlikely to get GIA certification with diamonds, as there are no GIA grading offices in the UK.

It’s also worth going to some of the big jewellery and art shows. My personal favorite which I try to attend every year is masterpiece London which is owned and run by the same company that put together art Basel. They really struggled due to brexit so I think it’s going to look a little different this year.

I try and stay away from hatton garden as I got burnt pretty bad at Farringdon Jewellers. Walking around the streets it’s pretty difficult to find someone reputable, you see a lot of lab stones not well labeled and no certification of any sort :(

Calling @Pomelo and @dk168 for other suggestions

Wow. Thanks so much, @RosieR. We just got back and I wish had asked before we went. I didn’t have much time to shop at that time anyway but one of my daughters will be going back and forth to London so I’ll have her check those places out. I’ll look at the online sites you mentioned too.

Thanks so much!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I would highly recommend checking out whether Bonhams (monthly), Sotheby's or Christie's (twice a year) have auction viewings going on!

Thank you!!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
I am based in UK, not Ireland, therefore, I cannot comment on the prices and taxes for importing jewellery from abroad into Ireland, sorry!

However, I frequently import from abroad, and have not bought any significant pieces of jewellery until very recently when I bought a bracelet from Chopard's main store in London.

The choices and prices of high end jewellery in UK are not very good IMHO, hence I import from abroad. Just window-shopping recently in London confirmed my belief in that jewellery buying in UK is no fun.

IMHO, I get better choices by buying and importing from abroad, even after adding back the import/custom charges and VAT.

That's just my own experiences to date, personal preferences and all that.

Thanks, @dk168. It seems everything is more expensive in the UK ;-).

It’s the antique jewelry that @RosieR mentioned that seems more plentiful in the UK that sparked my interest.

Thanks!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @dk168. It seems everything is more expensive in the UK ;-).

It’s the antique jewelry that @RosieR mentioned that seems more plentiful in the UK that sparked my interest.

Thanks!

In that case grays antiques maybe your best bet. The website is rubbish you are best off following individual jewellery traders on Instagram and reaching out via email or DM
John.Joseph.antiques.London
Anthea_gesua
Darylgiggdbgems

Oh I also forgot Guy Burton of Hancocks jewellery in the Barton arcade. Really nice gentleman with the most stunning old cuts. His all have GIA certs, but the cost of this and the fancy location makes his prices a little too high for me. https://www.hancocks-london.com/?UTM_source=GMB_listing&UTM_medium=organic

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I don't buy second-hand anything, sorry!

I only trawl the likes of Christies for their photos for inspiration purposes.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
In that case grays antiques maybe your best bet. The website is rubbish you are best off following individual jewellery traders on Instagram and reaching out via email or DM
John.Joseph.antiques.London
Anthea_gesua
Darylgiggdbgems

Oh I also forgot Guy Burton of Hancocks jewellery in the Barton arcade. Really nice gentleman with the most stunning old cuts. His all have GIA certs, but the cost of this and the fancy location makes his prices a little too high for me. https://www.hancocks-london.com/?UTM_source=GMB_listing&UTM_medium=organic

Thanks so much!

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, I don't buy second-hand anything, sorry!

I only trawl the likes of Christies for their photos for inspiration purposes.

Gotcha! Thanks!

I'm afraid I won't be much help, but I just wanted to say welcome to PS!! :wavey:

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I live in the US, but am from Ireland originally. Where should I buy a diamond engagement ring? As I see it, buying in Ireland gives me an instant discount of 20%. This is the VAT rate. My brother was living in Australia, and bought a ring in Ireland at a 30% discount. VAT plus 10%..........as we know the owner. It is a well established physical shop there. Another advantage to buying in Ireland is the strong dollar.

Or should I buy in the US? Are the prices more competitive? I feel the selection would be way better here. Maybe, also better cut at Whiteflash? I feel apprehensive about buying online. We could always go to their showroom in Texas............. close to Las Vegas

Corkman

Hi Corkman,

Welcome to PS. I am from Ireland and have bought diamonds online from US a few times. I am assuming when you say if you buy in Ireland you get a 20% reduction that you mean you will get a tax refund as you are taking it out of the country? (not sure how that works)

If it were me i would 100% buy in US. There is so much more choice and qualtity available. I have also found that diamonds here are grossly inflated as most are sold through stores (think Keanes etc). I also feel that there are more deals to be found when looking online/US. There also seems to be much better return policies and upgrade incentives that we just don't have here!

If you do go US/Online check out Frank Darling I have bought from them before or Ratani. Best of luck with everything!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results