carat
color
clarity

USA buyers - Customs forms PSA

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey folks!

So when I purchased from Paspaley there was a customs form that Paspaley had me fill out - CBP 5106.

I just had a package from Takahashi held up with FedEx. Apparently because it was over $2500, they decided they needed this form. I’ve bought many times from Takahashi and gone well over that dollar value and have never had to submit this, so I’m not sure why this parcel got tagged for it, but ::shrug::

When I saw the initial customs delay on my tracking, I contacted FedEx to ask what was up. I was told they needed an importer ID. Having done this with Paspaley already, I knew that they wanted my SSN… The rep offered to take it by phone, or I could email the info to a FedEx account. Um, heck no, no freaking way I’m conveying my SSN over the phone or in plain text!?

If anyone else gets caught in this knot - tell FedEx to email you a docusign link to customs form 5106. They can do this so don’t take “no” for an answer. The information you fill out via docusign is secured.

Alternatively, if the exporter wants it up front prior to shipment, ask if they’ve got an encrypted platform through which to send sensitive information. If they don’t, or they look at you like you’ve grown a third eyeball, personally I’d have them ship without any info and wait for FedEx to ask me for it on import clearance, but one could also fill the form out and save it as a PDF, and password protect the PDF - and then call or do a VOIP session to give a human at the other end the password.

Just please don’t ever give your SSN via phone or in plaintext through an email or email attachment or online chat - companies shouldn’t even be asking for that sort of info that way!! I was horrified!! :eek-2:

Last edited:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FedEx only contacted me via email, maybe because I never called them. I knew they were stuck in Customs from checking online and I just waited because it was a weekend. They sent everything via Docusign.

I was really unhappy when they sent the customs bill - ouch! I (stupidly) thought they were exempt because of the trade agreement between the two countries. If you're curious, you can use one of the free calculators online. For reference, I imported roughly $6500 and paid $322, which included $40 in fees.

HHtv

Rough_Rock
Hey folks!

So when I purchased from Paspaley there was a customs form that Paspaley had me fill out - CBP 5106.

I just had a package from Takahashi held up with FedEx. Apparently because it was over $2500, they decided they needed this form. I’ve bought many times from Takahashi and gone well over that dollar value and have never had to submit this, so I’m not sure why this parcel got tagged for it, but ::shrug::

When I saw the initial customs delay on my tracking, I contacted FedEx to ask what was up. I was told they needed an importer ID. Having done this with Paspaley already, I knew that they wanted my SSN… The rep offered to take it by phone, or I could email the info to a FedEx account. Um, heck no, no freaking way I’m conveying my SSN over the phone or in plain text!?

If anyone else gets caught in this knot - tell FedEx to email you a docusign link to customs form 5106. They can do this so don’t take “no” for an answer. The information you fill out via docusign is secured.

Alternatively, if the exporter wants it up front prior to shipment, ask if they’ve got an encrypted platform through which to send sensitive information. If they don’t, or they look at you like you’ve grown a third eyeball, personally I’d have them ship without any info and wait for FedEx to ask me for it on import clearance, but one could also fill the form out and save it as a PDF, and password protect the PDF - and then call or do a VOIP session to give a human at the other end the password.

Just please don’t ever give your SSN via phone or in plaintext through an email or email attachment or online chat - companies shouldn’t even be asking for that sort of info that way!! I was horrified!! :eek-2:

I've had Fedex or UPS (I think Fedex but can't remember 100%) ask for a power of attorney form for customs clearance. I'm not sure if It's a similar form we have here in Canada but it didn't require our SSN to be provided.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results