shape
carat
color
clarity

US Virgin Islands destination wedding...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
I met my fiancee while she was in the US on a tourist visa. She has since gone back to Peru and we are about to finish the fiancee visa process. June 16th she has an interview at the US embassy in Peru and should (knock on wood) receive her visa the same day. We haven''t done any planning for our wedding since it is difficult not knowing when the fiancee visa process will be complete. We want to honeymoon in the caribbean and so the US Virgin Islands are our only choice (she cannot leave the US once she enters or the fiancee visa becomes void).

I was wondering if anyone has done a destination wedding the Virgin Islands? I''m scared a hotel package type wedding might turn out to be really cheesy.

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
From what I've read the wedding has to take place at a U.S. island (assuming you want it legal in the US) - so like St. Thomas.

Most hotels have their info listed online, so you can check it out pretty easy. To reduce the "cheesey" factor you might want to consider using someone outside of the hotel to do the wedding, an independant wedding coordinator might make things a little more "special".

On the other hand, if you are staying at a resort and use them for your wedding you are likely to get some perks you might not normally receive - wine bottle with your names on it, some sort of special wedding breakfast, etc.

If you through the resort/hotel you have someone reputable who will be taking care of things, otherwise you are taking a chance.

I'm doing a wedding in Hawaii - and after lots of research I have decided to go with an independant wedding service. But it was hard to leave the security of a hotel promise.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, not a bad idea going with an independant wedding coordinator. I'll try to find people who have done the same thing before in the Virgin Islands, they might have some good referrals. I noticed someone in a different thread said they had asked the wedding coordinator for a reference, I might be able to do that as well.

What about the people that come to the wedding? It'd be nice to have a few friends/family to come and witness it, but I don't want them hanging around for my honeymoon!
tongue.gif
I doubt anyone would want to travel to the caribbean just to stay for one day, if they are going to all the trouble I can see them wanting to make it a vacation for themselves as well.
14.gif
I guess the alternative is to do it alone and then have a reception when we get back...

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
For our Hawaiian destination wedding we invited 16 people (our closest friends and family) - most, if not all, won't be able to attend due to various reasons.

We did a really slick wedding invite for them, and since most of them were close by, we just left them on their doorsteps.

When they got the invite they thought it was a really cool invite, so they would call us. During the phone call we would mention something about how "if they wanted to plan a vacation to Hawaii, we would love for them to be at our wedding", hopefully implying that for most of the Hawaii trip we would be on our own.

We are also having a reception back home the following month, so they don't feel as bad if they cannot make it to the wedding.

honeynut

Shiny_Rock
You can get 4-day packages to many islands in the caribbean, I don't know about the US virgin islands though. That's what I wanted to do - invite family and friends for a four day trip - fly in on thursday, we get married on saturday, brunch on sunday and then everyone goes home but us. We'd stay on another two weeks or so or head to a different island or resort... If you go to the knot, visit th newlyweds boards and ask around. I can remember at least one bride who got married in St. Johns and has pictures, it looked and sounded absolutely incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results