shape
carat
color
clarity

US GDP Fell 9.5% and Wealth Is Productivity

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy that NYT article states "Europe has a major problem", and that problem is moving towards autocracy.

I laughed coldly because autocracy is a problem around the world. What do you think Trump's legacy is if not a move toward autocracy?

Africa, Latin America, China, Russia, and the Middle East... What small part of the world does not have this problem? China has gotten more autocratic under Xi, and Russia has gotten more autocratic under Putin.

The NYT article author's focus seems narrow.

I don’t disagree. And I am no fan of Trump. I find this entire issue troubling.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This thread is disgusting and shows how far down the sewer PS has fallen to let it stand.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Some people cannot appreciate differences of opinion. They fall back to insults to help themselves feel superior and dismiss others. I think that if you're not open-minded, you're not open-mined, and it's best that you use the ignore option so you don't see comments that you consider offensive but cannot rightly explain why and don't want to bother to deal with explaining why those comments are offensive to you. It's not a service to anyone but yourself to make an insult. I guess, I can only say, thank you for reminding me why I am quite pessimistic about human nature?

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
An example of pure speculation is your assertion that the research being done on the origins of the coronavirus is more politics than science.

I didn't tell this. It is extremely important to find out exactly where and how the virus originated and spread. But why it is still unknown today? Are our scientists working in China right now? Or they are doing research on the US territory with animals common in the US in order to find out where it come from? There is another theory that the virus escaped from a lab in China. I think China prefers scientists to be focused on wild animals as a likely source of the virus. So maybe you are right, I am trying to tell that the research on the origins may be politically motivated. Not for the sake of a pure science.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I didn't tell this. It is extremely important to find out exactly where and how the virus originated and spread. But why it is still unknown today? Are our scientists working in China right now? Or they are doing research on the US territory with animals common in the US in order to find out where it come from? There is another theory that the virus escaped from the lab in China. I think China prefers scientists to be focused on wild animals as a likely source of the virus. So maybe you are right, I am trying to tell that the research on the origins may be politically motivated. Not for the sake of a pure science.

Actually, the Chinese government prefers their citizens to believe the virus is one more form of attack from the American CIA, from an American lab.

With the political climate being what it is, I find it extremely unlikely China will let American scientists investigate the virus origin on Chinese soil.

I am resigned to the possibility that we may never get clarity on this issue in the way of scientific proof.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
The EU removed China from the list of countries they’re allowing travelers from as of this week:
  • Now the culled list of 11 countries will look like this after all members gave the decision the official nod: Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia and Uruguay.
Do you still think it’s a political statement, and not a reflection of the mess here, that the US didn’t make the cut?

As for how I would’ve liked the US to respond to the pandemic, here’s a list that’s not exhaustive:
  • Trump should’ve listened to security briefings in January. That’s how long ago he had warnings of a potential crisis.
  • Trump should not have removed dozens of CDC observers that the Obama administration had placed in China for the purpose of tracking potential outbreaks.
  • Trump should have listened to doctors and scientists instead of lying to the American people that this is just a flu and will go away on its own.
  • Trump shouldn’t be telling us it’s safe to send kids back to school five days a week, but it’s still too danergous to have Election Day as outlined in the Constitution.
If this list isn’t bad enough for you, here’s a great summary of how Trump royally screwed the pooch: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/613591/

China is still in the running:

I appreciate your thoughtful response to my question.

January seems like a lifetime ago, am I right?! I’m not sure anyone had an inkling of what life would look like now back in January. I think what we’re seeing is a power struggle between two governments. There are several reports that China hid the severity of the “problem” back in January. I’m not sure Trump had the knowledge base (in January) to ascertain what we’d be dealing with now. Since China is only 4,464 deaths due to Covid and the reports that Trump received were out of China, I can conclude his intel was inconsistent.

As for the CDC “observers”, I find the timing of it all a bit telling. Not because I have an innate bias because of my political leanings. But because I’ve studied the history of politics of China and the United States.

Trump puts tariffs on China.
Trump pulls funding from labs in China (CDC observers lose their jobs).
Infectious agent the CDC observers were “watching” wreaks havoc on entire world.

I think we all have a lot to learn about Covid 19. The President included. That’s the funny thing about a novel pathogen, we don’t know much about it. As someone that has worked in research, it seems to me Trump acts as someone that IS listening to the advice of scientists and medical doctors. The language going around that “science is science” makes people think that science is stalwart. Science is dynamic. Trump changes his stance on Covid because his advisors change their stance as the science unfolds. Like any good scientist should. I fear that people see Trump through a “buffoon lens”, when he is indeed reacting like a leader should, changing his recommendations based on science/data.

Both of my daughters Dr.’s advised me that it’s safe for her to go back to school. She has asthma. I’m choosing to homeschool her because I live in the greatest country on earth and I have that freedom. I also have the responsibility to protect her.

As for delaying the election, I’m not sure it’s such a bad idea. We’re a country where every vote counts. Mail in ballots are not as dependable as voting in person. Every person, whether they’re immunocompromised, or not, should have the ability to vote in person. And we’re not going to be there for the foreseeable future.

Sorry for the delay in response. I see there’s been a lot of discussion since I last chimed in. Good, mostly respectful, discussion.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is disgusting and shows how far down the sewer PS has fallen to let it stand.

That is an insult with no reason given for why you hold that opinion. When I have stated anything throughout this thread I have always backed it up with why I think what I thiink..

What are you objecting to? Are you still objecting to my naming Dancing Fire, although he has posted many times on this topic and is, therefore, someone with whom it is fair to engage on this topic?

Are you still under the illusion that I blame victims of covid19 for becoming ill? I made it clear that that I blame gross mismanagement by President Trump for that. I always took covid19 very seriously. President Trump never did..

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
I could have told you well before any of these articles were published that Chinese agencies censor the internet for anything that they deem political. But Chinese people have so many clever ways to get around censorship, and honestly no censorship is required in the current environment in China. Despite the censorship, news about how the government was cracking down on whistleblowers got out still, didn't it? My parents' group on WeChat were discussing it freely. If the virus was raging uncontrolled in China still now, there's no way my parents' social group wouldn't know. They are made up of people who went to medical school in China right when universities started opening up after the cultural revolution, so after critical and not buying the Chinese state narrative.

I just want to point out that the articles from NPR, I 100% believe, but neither points to the conclusion that you've drawn about the virus still being a big problem in China as of this moment. The monitoring and censorship is constant, but that doesn't mean the virus is uncontrolled. The last NPR article you posted here was dated February, before China got the virus under control, and the Foreign Policy article, despite a publication date in July, was still talking about crackdown on medical professionals back in February.
Screenshot_20200730-204024.png Screenshot_20200730-204215.png

What you're quoting me doesn't support your erroneous assumption that conditions related to the virus haven't changed in China since February 2020.

I recall that during the worst days of the virus in China, Europe did ban travel from China when China was still the epicenter. When it comes to epidemic diseases, the epicenter can shift, and now the epicenter of the world seems to be the United States, so it makes sense for Europe to ban travel from the US for now, and I trust they will lift the travel ban soon after the US manages to get the virus under control so the epicenter is no longer in the US.

You cannot “control” a virus unless it’s in a laboratory. The US will never gain control of the virus. The virus will move through the population. Our goal from the beginning was to “flatten the curve”, keeping hospital beds available for our most vulnerable. We’ve mostly done a good job at that.
Do you believe there have only been ~4,500 fatalities in China?

voce

Ideal_Rock

You cannot “control” a virus unless it’s in a laboratory. The US will never gain control of the virus. The virus will move through the population. Our goal from the beginning was to “flatten the curve”, keeping hospital beds available for our most vulnerable. We’ve mostly done a good job at that.
Do you believe there have only been ~4,500 fatalities in China?

The answer is no; I have told you repeatedly I do not believe the official numbers. Do you really read what I say carefully enough?

The portion I bolded shows you have a very narrow definition of control. What you're saying is that the virus cannot be controlled. That the US has done a good job of keeping hospital beds available. While this has been the case so far, just this morning I heard over NPR a doctor from Texas saying he has the beds, but not the staff to work them. He cannot force doctors and nurses into the COVID unit, and the vast majority of doctors are not volunteering to work the COVID unit.

As people often state, historical performance is no guarantee of future results. We are approaching that tipping point where the healthcare system will be overwhelmed again in areas where wearing masks is not enforced.

I am all in favor of opening the economy, provided the wearing of masks is enforced somehow. Unfortunately, in my area, the sheriff had maintained the stance the police will not be enforcing it.

Last edited:

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Trump shouldn’t be telling us it’s safe to send kids back to school five days a week.

Teachers Unions across the country have their political demands and want them to be met before schools may be reopened. Again, the decision whether to go back to school or keep children home is not based on data and medical science. Please take a look at this article. https://www.kusi.com/a-los-angeles-...ould-not-reopen-unless-their-demands-are-met/

The Los Angeles Teacher’s Union is one of the largest in the state, and the “United Teachers Los Angeles” say public schools should not reopen unless their demands are met.

Their demands include implementing a moratorium on private schools, defunding the police, increasing taxes on the wealthy, implementing Medicare for all, and passing the HEROES Act, which allocated and additional $116 billion in federal education funding to the states.

The unions demands also took aim at charter schools.

The United Teachers Los Angeles union says these policies must be implemented on both the state and national level before reopening schools.

I saw a photo showing the specific political demands that LA Teachers Union wants to be met before they agree to reopen schools and wanted to check. So I found the above article.

I actually like this thread, and I am thankful to you for answering me politely. I wasn't often polite myself and I am sorry for being rude (some older threads). I am not trying to convert anyone to republican. Just trying to discuss what is going on in the country since the media is extremely biased.

Regarding voting in Nov. I think Trump wants people to have a voter ID and vote in person. I hope it will be safe to do, people should be wearing masks, of course. I don't want undocumented immigrants to vote. And I don't want a third party to collect and deliver ballots. We were always voting by mail for the reason of convenience but now I will be gladly spend a day in line if needed.
0'''''.jpg

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He would mention others easily if things were reversed

Deb,
For the first time I can remember I am extremely angry at you.
I feel this a slap in the face to those that have been harmed by covid and those doing the right things.
To do so while calling out a respected member of the forum makes it even worse.

Still your friend
Karl

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
@voce I hope your Italian friends or coworkers may go and visit their families. https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/...t-travel-restrictions-at-the-external-border/

For countries where travel restrictions continue to apply, the following categories of people should be exempted from the restrictions:

• EU citizens and their family members
  • long-term EU residents and their family members
  • travellers with an essential function or need, as listed in the Recommendation.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fox et al control the right, if what you wrote were true then fox wouldnt be on the charts.

Democrat controls the media though so who knows if this news clip is even true. Of course the economy is bad. It has been bad before this covid-19 situation. The question is who is benefiting from this whole ordeal.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
at this point, why does it matter where it started, we need to conquer it. to my reading its obvious it started in china, doors open lets all work together so people stop dying, later on the blame game can go full force.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in complete agreement with you in the bolded sections. I do not agree with the paragraph where you say the idea that research done on the origins of the virus is political, is down to pure speculation.

You can make some reasonable deductions that scientists are human, and as humans, they are also subject to confirmation bias, so whether consciously or unconsciously, that affects the research that they do, because scientists' political leanings may cause them to throw out facts that they discredit due to their political leanings. Thus they may look at a narrower set of facts than all the facts.

I consider my father to be one of the most scientifically minded people I know. He's incredible with applying science to solving everyday life problems and understands enough to build an MRI machine. He's more fascinated with the origin of the virus than with the practical specifics, like vaccines and how to treat the virus. I asked him why he's more interested in the origin. His answer was: to be able to once and for all decide who to assign blame.

I should add, I've spent a lot of time around the scientific community and don't see even the top scientists as infallible.

When it comes to the scientists who study the origins of the virus, I think it stands to reason that some of them are doing so because of political motivations. Scientific research motivated by politics and funded by governments to confirm their existing biases, I'd be extremely extremely suspicious of. I'm most likely to believe the research of scientists who were already studying coronaviruses before the current pandemic because they are least likely to be motivated by assigning blame as a reason for their research.

This is what I wrote:

“An example of pure speculation is your assertion that the research being done on the origins of the coronavirus is more politics than science.

You’ve interpreted it to mean that I don’t think the research is political at all, which isn’t what I said.

The degree to which the research is colored by politics is indeed speculation.

voce

Ideal_Rock
The degree to which the research is colored by politics is indeed speculation.

I can agree with you on this. It's speculation and opinion. You'd never be able to scientifically conclude how much of the research is colored by politics. Individuals vary on their trust vs distrust of what's already been put out there.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
China is still in the running:

I appreciate your thoughtful response to my question.

January seems like a lifetime ago, am I right?! I’m not sure anyone had an inkling of what life would look like now back in January. I think what we’re seeing is a power struggle between two governments. There are several reports that China hid the severity of the “problem” back in January. I’m not sure Trump had the knowledge base (in January) to ascertain what we’d be dealing with now. Since China is only 4,464 deaths due to Covid and the reports that Trump received were out of China, I can conclude his intel was inconsistent.

As for the CDC “observers”, I find the timing of it all a bit telling. Not because I have an innate bias because of my political leanings. But because I’ve studied the history of politics of China and the United States.

Trump puts tariffs on China.
Trump pulls funding from labs in China (CDC observers lose their jobs).
Infectious agent the CDC observers were “watching” wreaks havoc on entire world.

I think we all have a lot to learn about Covid 19. The President included. That’s the funny thing about a novel pathogen, we don’t know much about it. As someone that has worked in research, it seems to me Trump acts as someone that IS listening to the advice of scientists and medical doctors. The language going around that “science is science” makes people think that science is stalwart. Science is dynamic. Trump changes his stance on Covid because his advisors change their stance as the science unfolds. Like any good scientist should. I fear that people see Trump through a “buffoon lens”, when he is indeed reacting like a leader should, changing his recommendations based on science/data.

Both of my daughters Dr.’s advised me that it’s safe for her to go back to school. She has asthma. I’m choosing to homeschool her because I live in the greatest country on earth and I have that freedom. I also have the responsibility to protect her.

As for delaying the election, I’m not sure it’s such a bad idea. We’re a country where every vote counts. Mail in ballots are not as dependable as voting in person. Every person, whether they’re immunocompromised, or not, should have the ability to vote in person. And we’re not going to be there for the foreseeable future.

Sorry for the delay in response. I see there’s been a lot of discussion since I last chimed in. Good, mostly respectful, discussion.

Suffice it to say that we don’t see eye to eye here, but I appreciate your thoughtful responses and the respectful discussion in this thread thus far. :))

And thanks for the link about the EU - I think that’s more up to date than that article I was looking at!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Teachers Unions across the country have their political demands and want them to be met before schools may be reopened. Again, the decision whether to go back to school or keep children home is not based on data and medical science. Please take a look at this article. https://www.kusi.com/a-los-angeles-...ould-not-reopen-unless-their-demands-are-met/

The Los Angeles Teacher’s Union is one of the largest in the state, and the “United Teachers Los Angeles” say public schools should not reopen unless their demands are met.

Their demands include implementing a moratorium on private schools, defunding the police, increasing taxes on the wealthy, implementing Medicare for all, and passing the HEROES Act, which allocated and additional $116 billion in federal education funding to the states.

The unions demands also took aim at charter schools.

The United Teachers Los Angeles union says these policies must be implemented on both the state and national level before reopening schools.

I saw a photo showing the specific political demands that LA Teachers Union wants to be met before they agree to reopen schools and wanted to check. So I found the above article.

I actually like this thread, and I am thankful to you for answering me politely. I wasn't often polite myself and I am sorry for being rude (some older threads). I am not trying to convert anyone to republican. Just trying to discuss what is going on in the country since the media is extremely biased.

Regarding voting in Nov. I think Trump wants people to have a voter ID and vote in person. I hope it will be safe to do, people should be wearing masks, of course. I don't want undocumented immigrants to vote. And I don't want a third party to collect and deliver ballots. We were always voting by mail for the reason of convenience but now I will be gladly spend a day in line if needed.
0'''''.jpg'''''.jpg

I think the response varies by the union. Here’s a Florida one suing DeSantis over public health reasons:

Thank you as well for the polite and respectful replies.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
at this point, why does it matter where it started, we need to conquer it. to my reading its obvious it started in china, doors open lets all work together so people stop dying, later on the blame game can go full force.

And our country has to go full force on its own. I wrote in the thread @kenny started about whether we thought President Trump would be defeated in November that the main issue I am concerned with is covid19. I wrote that I hoped Vice President Biden was preparing a great task force so that, if he wins, he can start a huge effort to eradicate the virus on January 20, 2021. He should have everything lined up and ready to go. See my posting in that thread (reposted below), The only thing that matters to me is saving as many lives as we can as quickly as we can.

I am.wondering if the country will make it through the coronavirus epidemic until Joe Biden, if he wins, takes over. I am more concerned with that than everything else right now. I hope that he is building a very smart task force that has a plan ready to go into action on the day he is inaugurated. I hope he has the smartest, quickest, most streamlined people on this task force and that they are ready to put into action The Defense Production Act if it is needed for any purpose; to do what is most necessary to save lives of all who are sick and at risk of becoming sick; and to take charge of how to distribute a vaccine efficiently once one is developed

We have wasted many months and thousands of lives already. I think our first goal should be to start the war on covid19 as soon as Joe Biden becomes president. (God willing.) This is an emergency.

Last edited:

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
The answer is no; I have told you repeatedly I do not believe the official numbers. Do you really read what I say carefully enough?

The portion I bolded shows you have a very narrow definition of control. What you're saying is that the virus cannot be controlled. That the US has done a good job of keeping hospital beds available. While this has been the case so far, just this morning I heard over NPR a doctor from Texas saying he has the beds, but not the staff to work them. He cannot force doctors and nurses into the COVID unit, and the vast majority of doctors are not volunteering to work the COVID unit.

As people often state, historical performance is no guarantee of future results. We are approaching that tipping point where the healthcare system will be overwhelmed again in areas where wearing masks is not enforced.

I am all in favor of opening the economy, provided the wearing of masks is enforced somehow. Unfortunately, in my area, the sheriff had maintained the stance the police will not be enforcing it.

I am reading your responses very carefully. I asked if you believe China’s death rate because you espoused that their response was better than the United States’. I’m not sure how you can continue down that path without data.

The definition of control is:

the power to influence or direct behavior or the course of events

So, by definition, to control a virus we must influence it or direct it’s behavior to turn the course of events. To control a virus we must:

1. Have medicine to interrupt it’s destruction.
2. Direct behavior to turn the course of the viruses destruction.

We don’t have a medicinal solution for Covid 19.

The only “behavior” that will shut down a virus is a complete lockdown for months (years?). Since that’s incomprehensible, I would say my definition of control is pragmatic.

What I have seen in the U.S.A. is a response to an act of nature. As individual state’s hospitals burgeon, elected officials respond accordingly. My town is under a mask mandate (not enforced) and we have social distancing guidelines that most of us have adopted. My state has a <1% mortality rate. Most businesses are open and our local economy is slowly gaining traction.

I social distance. I wear my mask. But I don’t blame those that don’t for the fatalities. I blame Covid 19. I think that’s why we all want to know where the virus originated. We want someone to blame. Blame nature.

Signing off for now. I chime in every once in awhile to remind you all that there are different opinions and so new members don’t think PS is an echo chamber. I dissent.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I social distance. I wear my mask. But I don’t blame those that don’t for the fatalities. I blame Covid 19.

The issue is not black or white. There is a grey area. Covid19 is the main culprit. People in power who fail to do their best to end it are derelict in their duty and should be held accountable.

President Trump should have mobilized a huge task force like that mobilized during World War II. It would have increased employment as everyone went to work in factories producing what this country needed to supply hospitals; nursing homes; and EMT's with the gowns; masks; and gloves they needed and hospitals with the ventilators they needed. More buildings like those built by The Army Corps of Engineers in New York City (God bless them) should have been built in other regions and should be being built there right now. Because right now in southern Texas patients who do not appear to have a chance of "making it" are being sent home to die. It is not that they are not given ventilators or ICU beds. They are not admitted into the doors of the hospital. There is no room in the building for them. Those areas should be using The Army Corps of Engineers now. No one should die because he cannot get into the doors of a hospital in the United States.

I could go on and on. The entire response has been pathetic. The virus may be to blame, but so are the unworthy custodians of the public safety.

Saying that the virus, alone, is to blame is like saying a fire is to blame for burning down a house if a fully manned fire truck stood by and refused to turn its hoses on the fire while it burned down.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I, Too, wish to state how respectful and educational this thread is. Voce, Musia, JPie, Hmml Mama, Bayek, Deb, I compliment you all on this discussion. You're a bunch of smart women.

Karl-- DF has repeatedly talked about his views on the economy. Aren't people responsible for what they say? To call someone out on what they said is appropriate.

Annette

voce

Ideal_Rock
I am reading your responses very carefully. I asked if you believe China’s death rate because you espoused that their response was better than the United States’. I’m not sure how you can continue down that path without data.

Did I say their response was better than the United States'? I said they've got it under control, at least as far as I can tell. If I had to grade the governmental response, I would grade both the same. Trump responded exactly how Xi Jinping has responded. Period of inaction and lack of guidance. Then they finally did what they were supposed to. If China's result was better, a large part is because their citizens heeded the warnings and masked up.

Chinese citizens wear masks and take the virus seriously. You can see this in news reports.

I'm also trusting in my relatives who work in healthcare. Yes, anecdotal evidence, but a source that I trust. It was my Chinese relatives who were telling us to get UV lamps to disinfect our homes every day back in February and March, long before the US physicians and media were touting the benefits of UV lamps. Yes, they are subjected to state propaganda, but state propaganda does not dictate what they see every day on their jobs as healthcare workers in a large city. They are seeing people wear masks still, and zero COVID patients. Obviously you're putting no stock in this anecdotal evidence. I won't get offended by that, as people who have already made up their minds to accept a conclusion do not look for contradictory observations to debunk those conclusions.

I don't think, given the censorship and distrust of the Chinese government we both share, how there CAN be RELIABLE DATA to form a conclusion either way. After all, you don't have data to show how bad the virus in China CURRENTLY is either, do you? You're purely going off of outdated data and your speculations in the absence of reliable data. But the absence of reliable data, which you may never get, still does not justify your assumption that China STILL is the epicenter of the disease, which is presumably why you think that Europe should be banning travel from China right now. Right now as in July/August, not February.

The definition of control is:

the power to influence or direct behavior or the course of events

So, by definition, to control a virus we must influence it or direct it’s behavior to turn the course of events. To control a virus we must:

1. Have medicine to interrupt it’s destruction.
2. Direct behavior to turn the course of the viruses destruction.

We don’t have a medicinal solution for Covid 19.

The only “behavior” that will shut down a virus is a complete lockdown for months (years?). Since that’s incomprehensible, I would say my definition of control is pragmatic.

A few posts back you said under "control" is subjective; I agree more that interpretations of under control or not is subjective, as not everyone agrees with your definition of control. Contact tracing and keeping the number of active cases low do not fall within the definition of control you've espoused here, so apparently South Korea and Singapore do not have COVID under control either, according to your definition.

You are taking a pedantic approach, but I fail to find it convincing. Did we ever have a medicine to disrupt ebola while it was causing destruction in West Africa in 2014? Not while it was raging, I don't think. So did we not get ebola under control through other means? I find your definition, which requires a medicinal solution, narrow rather than pragmatic.

What I have seen in the U.S.A. is a response to an act of nature. As individual state’s hospitals burgeon, elected officials respond accordingly. My town is under a mask mandate (not enforced) and we have social distancing guidelines that most of us have adopted. My state has a <1% mortality rate. Most businesses are open and our local economy is slowly gaining traction.

I social distance. I wear my mask. But I don’t blame those that don’t for the fatalities. I blame Covid 19. I think that’s why we all want to know where the virus originated. We want someone to blame. Blame nature.

Signing off for now. I chime in every once in awhile to remind you all that there are different opinions and so new members don’t think PS is an echo chamber. I dissent.

I welcome your dissenting opinion. I'm glad that things are not bad in your state. As I live in California, my personal experience is that things can quickly go from feeling safe to feeling unsafe in a populous state like mine. I hope you continue to be safe.

I don't wish for PS to be an echo chamber either, but I find your opinion in this case to be not well reasoned.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
The Dems must try harder to depress the economy. Any positive news about the economy is a plus for Trump.

1.2 million filed for unemployment just last week. The August jobs report is going to be a horror show. Full effects of Covid surge hitting in states that had to pause or reverse their re-openings. Buckle up!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.2 million filed for unemployment just last week. The August jobs report is going to be a horror show. Full effects of Covid surge hitting in states that had to pause or reverse their re-openings. Buckle up!
You better hope so for the next few months or else Biden will have zero chance of beating Trump in Nov.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
You better hope so for the next few months or else Biden will have zero chance of beating Trump in Nov.

Actually, I wouldn't wish any more harm on working class Americans for the sake of the election. It's really in poor taste to even suggest that.

I would actually hope that the Trump administration would implement a nationwide testing strategy (even if it's 6 months late) to contain the virus combined with strong messaging to his base on the benefits of mask wearing. These efforts would actually help the economy on a road to recovery.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, very possible!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire a lot of things may have been different if the president listened to scientists and epidemiologists. Instead we have lost over 150,000 people.

You keep ignoring the fact that this President has done a terrible job responding to the virus.
Don't forget to credit Gov. Cuomo for the 32K + death.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Don't forget to credit Gov. Cuomo for the 32K + death.

Let’s view the US as a corporation, because we know lots of Trump voters in 2016 wanted him to run the US “like a business”, so Donald Trump is the CEO.

Why does this “CEO of America” take zero accountability and responsibility for a major crisis rocking his “company”? Where is the coordinated effort and strategy by the chief executive?

Does a CEO go to the board of directors and admonish everyone else below them in the chain of command when results aren’t as expected? I don’t think one who embodies leadership would. In that case I think there would be a new job opening.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results